Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Humpy Place

Royal

There is a backwater place up near Houghton Lake, not far from Roscommon, that we call the Humpy Place.

Now the reason for that name is it is one of the first place Mary and I went when we bought the Kayaks. It is a big marsh and pretty shallow, as can be seen in the pictures. It is full of Lillypads and other shallow water plants and a nesting gound for many birds and fish, along with muskrats and beaver etc.

There are a lot of Bass and Pike in the pond and I suspect dogfish. When we went into it the first time we would spook the fish and they scared the crap out of Mary. I have fished and explored these places all my life and love them but it was a bit intimidating for her. The dang fish would hump their backs right out of the water sometimes as they took off and thus, Humpy Place.

The Department of Natural Resorces have put up nesting platforms for the Osprey, as you can see in the pictures. The Osprey is also called the fish eagle and it is fun watching them dive for their prey. It is also fun watching them flying in formation, just playing like kids.

As we approach the nesting area they take exception to us and raise hell. we make sure we do not get too close and my pictures reflect the fact.

Jim and I went out for a few hours and had a ball. It is just a great place to see nature unspoiled

we had one living on the river that we run by on the RR. It used to pace us in the train giving the tourists a great view! Havn't seen it in a few years though.

Dave

we were heading to a detecting spot. The road ran along the lake shore and he pointed out to me that on the side of the road, every telephone pole had an Osprey nest on top of it. There may have been a few without but by far the majority of them did. That speaks for one heck of a lot of fish!!

We saw many Eagles but Mike and Wayner were used to them and thought this American was nuts raving about them.

not many people go out there and there is so much to see. When I used to go to Florida in the winter my favorite thing was to go fishing alone in the swamps. Lots of Gators and other wildlife. I would spend from dawn till dark out there and never get tired of it. So much to see

Does this lake freeze over during winter? This area looks like Florida, not Michigan. The Osprey look like big birds, I really did not know that they were this large. The nesting platforms are neat, wonder who came up with that idea? I like the first picture the best...lots of detail and color with extras like the small bird and snake head as a bonus. Thanks for sharing, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

But correct me if I am wrong but I thought dogfish were and exclusively salt water fish.. Am I wrong in this?

all the best

M

they are a very primitive fish with a sorta lung so they can live in water that would kill other fish because of a lack of oxygen.

They are hell on a rod and reel too but worthless as food. They will fight and jump better than a bass

that pond freezes in the winter but not as thick where the water is moving. There is a series of three ponds on Backus Creek and eash is held back with a dam.