Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Horse-eating Bush

Arkie John

This season I splurged a bit and bought me a spankin' new set of camoflauge to go with my new tree stand. Now this is not 'just' camo, but a rather new design, if I do say so myself, is quite effective on deer and wild turkey. It is called Predator Deception. You can google it up or go to predator.com or predatorcamo.com and see for yourself. It's different because it does not 'fill in' after being 20 yard away. Most camo looks good up close--to humans. But good camo needs to keep the human form 'broken up' even from a distance...and that's what it does. Anyway...

I first heard of this stuff when I ordered a Double Bull pop-up blind, about four or five years ago. No brushing in, just pop it up and let the chips fall where they may.

Eleven turkeys later, I am impressed with this stuff and ordered it, just in time for this season.

So....Wednesday afternoon, it was windy and made for a good few hours of just sneakin' around the woods and scouting. I had Lil' Brother's GPS and commenced to findin' scrapes and rubs of our local deer, to try to establish a pattern of sorts.

After a couple of hours, I found myself in the back-40 of a neighbor's 200 acre pasture. It was a beautiful place, complete with a nice creek. The place was clear of underbrush but had nice white and red oaks spaced just close enough to provide some needed shade.

I kept watching two quarter horses in the middle of the pasture as I settled down next to a well-used deer trail and fresh scrape. I thought I'd just sit there for a spell and--who knows what might happen.

The peace and quiet were soon interrupted by the stud as he made his way over to an overhanging tree about 40 yards from me. He got up under that tree and began to rub his ole' back. He really enjoyed it but it was makin' quite a racket. Then he spotted a 'something' that he knew should not be there. Now, I am in FULL camo, sittin' on a turned-up five-gallon plastic bucket...facemask, gloves--the whole works. I had not made a move in 15 minutes so I KNOW he didn't see movement. The wind was in my favor--it's just that he couldn't quite figure out what it was over there that had not been there before.

His curiosity finally got the best of him and here he came. Now folks, I'm tryin' to DEER hunt here, not horse hunt. But here he came. He got within 25 or so yards of me and just stared. But then he began pawing the ground and (what I call) prawning--moving his ole' head up and down the full movement his neck would allow.

I figured he was 16 or 17 hands--and a beautiful animal he is, but...he was acting like a jackass and every deer in the county was fast heading south. I never moved until...

...he got within about 10 or 12 yards of me. He pawed the ground. That's it! I suddenly stood up and 'blew' at him, flailing my arms only part way--and BOY! I saw the WHITES of his eyes! He snorted, turned a 180, on a DIME and charged out to open pasture FULL TILT, running FLAT OVER sapplings that were an inch or two through at 6' from the ground. He didn't stop until he got to the mare, some 200 yards or so, by now, from me.

I couldn't hold it. I belly-laughed out loud after I figured the horse was OK. As he bulldozed those sapplings I was hoping I wouldn't have to explain any injuries to the owner.

That stud came back in after a little while, but kept his distant to a hundred yards. He never figured out where the horse-eatin' bush had come from or where it had gone.

It was the most exciting thing that happened all day. Thus ends the tale of the horse-eatin' bush! Thanks for comin' along. <><

aj

get little brother to take a picture of you in that cammo in the woods. I know deer are easy to fool if you are down wind and not moving. They will know something is there but if you don't move they will ignore you many times.

I went to the web page and looked it over. It could be great for photography too.

Good thing you didn't have any of that sexy scent on you. :D It could have been a bad day for Arkie John:rofl:

My hunting consists of a LOT of walking. However, the area up here is pretty much unlimited and , quite literally, you can go for 100 miles and never see a person, house or any sign of humans. This is up in the Mt. Scaia area, where we took Linda and royal last year.

there are lots of whities, mulies, moose and elk; so some excercise, some patience and a steady hand and you can get your game.. :)

calm seas

M

You are right. That stuff would be perfect for photography. But the best I have ever seen is that Double Bull blind in predator deception camo. It is the best. The only down side to being in a completely enclosed blind is that it gets hot on warm days and old, very old after a few hours.

That's why I went to the personal camo and a tree stand for deer. I really enjoy all the seasons but spring and fall are the BEST for me and I like to enjoy ALL of the scenery.

Thanks for the post-back! <><

aj

...what I would give to be able to hunt and not hear civilization for a whole hunt. Even though we live in Arkansas, this land is becoming more and more urbanized and it is hard to find a five mile stretch anywhere in the state that a major road does not intersect it.

You have the magnificent hunting grounds, my friend. I sure hope that one day we can take a stroll or two, giving chase to some of that fine game and taking in the spendor.

It sounds like a pretty diverse place and I'm kinda of a diverse guy as far as interests go. I suspect that when I retire I will have many irons in the fire. Let's see, there's woodworking, huntin' fishin' and a rekindled interest to build another RC glider or three.

Thanks for the reply. Please give Alice our love and prayers for special, methodical healing. <><

aj

There are two original homesteads on the place. I detected one with my Explorer, years ago...and again with my Ace 250 last year. The Ace turned up a few nice things, but nothing to get excited about. I'm still looking for that post-hole bank!

The other place is buried in honeysuckle. All I have found of it is the cellar hole and bunches of buttercups in the spring. It is so thick in there I have not figured a way to detect it. But I'm not giving up.

aj

went through his mind when you sprang up at him! :lol: Doncha wish ya had a camera! Thanks for the smile this mornin Arkie! Hope that cammo works for ya!

Dave

That was fun to read. Were you getting nervous when he got that close to you. BIG animal !:look:

...Fred was there with his nifty lariet rope. As it turned out, the stud was MUCH more afraid of me that I of him.

I never get over how incredibly beautiful they are. Michelangelo was enthralled with them in the 1500's and I can see why. They are just poetry in motion.

Thanks for posting.

aj

....that talked about one of his pack horses playing mind games on a "horse-eatin' stump" and how this horse always gave a wide berth to a particular stump along the trail.

Maybe he'll repost the story if we're nice to him! How 'bout it Wayner?

aj

a trail we used to ride, when I was married to the crazy horse woman.

EVERY time we would ride past that area the horse I rode, Apache, would get all goofy and try to bolt. The first time he saw it he did and almost dumped my arse :D

Someone had dumped the couch long ago and that horse never did get used to it. They can be a goofy critter. Always made me wonder what went on inside their head, if anything :D

wouuld have loved to witness this. I bet it was hysterical. Of course you know had you been deer hunting, this would have never happened! :lol!

I told Scott about your new find in the camo and he is going to check it out! Myself? I will just stick to my camo pants and hat.ILY