Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Hay Loft Chronicles

Arkie John

We need some new stories, so here you have...

The Hay Loft Chronicles

One of my memories of growing up in Saline County Arkansas was the great times all of us kids spent, day in and day out, going hither and yon, getting into mischief or maybe just using what we had, to have genuinely good times. There was no air conditioning, no video, very little TV but we certainly weren't ways to entertain ourselves. So, we ventured out each day during the summer with the common knowledge that no matter where we went, we had to be back before supper time or we incurred momma's wrath.

About four miles from the old home place, was the Saline River Bottoms. It is some of the richest land--to this day-- in the area. These bottoms were employed for grazing and agriculture of first one thing and then another. The fields had there fair share of hay barns in them. After two or three cuttings of good, rich bottomland hay in a season, the barns were chocked full of the stuff.

I did not grow up on a farm and counted myself lucky NOT to, in those days. Why, it was WAY too much work to cut that hay, bale it and then transport it to the barns. I was, however hired out a couple of times, to assist in the transporting end of things by a family that lived about a quarter mile from us. From time to time, they leased some of the bottomland I spoke of earlier, to supplement-feed their horses in the winter.

The first time I was involved in hauling hay, I learned real fast that you should always wear long sleeves. After a half day of stacking square hay bales into the loft, the inside of my arms resembled raw hamburger. It was the only time I hurt and itched at the same time. I sweated like a whore in church. Never again. You farm boys and girls know what I

when I was married to the crazy horse woman we had to do it twice a summer. First and second cutting.

I was working seven days a week at the shop and had to squeeze the haying in too. Her two sons always helped us but all she would do is stand around and direct the job. She would not even offer us water or a meal after we were done. I am not sure she knew how to cook actually.

One year I asked the guy we got it from what it would cost delivered and stacked. It was a dang killing job for sure. He said a quarter a bail! A QUARTER A BAIL??? Man I told him to bring it and stack it!

My crazy horse woman wife had a fit. Tough! I told her that she was not the one doing the work. She said it was too hard for a woman. Maybe it was, but a drink of water occasionally would have been nice. :D

On the day of delivery I was there and the guy pulls up with a huge flatbed truck full of hay. Who was his help? His wife. She was a little thing, a little bigger than my wife but I doubted she was gonna be much help to the guy.

The guy started a throwing bails and his wife started a stacking and they never quit until it was one full barn!! That was the toughest woman I ever saw! She was older than I was at the time, early fifty's but one working lady. Most wimmins would rather primp and polish their nails. Expect men folk to do their bidding.

I never stacked another bail

Go out to the field with YOUR truck. Load the bales. Drive home and STACK them IN the barn for a quarter a bail? This was fifteen years ago but I ain't a gonna do it!

That cost me 25 dollars a hundred, delivered! And Stacked

n/t

And I am paying for it today.. I am a-hurtin for certain!! :)

calm seas

Mikie

I worried too much about what lurked down in those bottomlands.

The few times I did that I had to move a little quicker than bare feet would take me.

aj

that he was not hurt very bad...his pride probably was more damaged than any injuries he suffered. I remember many a cutting and then storing the hay in the barn. This is a good story...now I am going to part 2. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Betcha prior to taking a tumble, young Travis looked pretty cool sittin' atop the hay.:lol: Geez.....the things us kids survived unscathed. Even with the work Arkie, I'll bet there was still lots of fun to be had. Reminds me of an old Tom Sawyer tale. On to part two !:thumbup:

wirey and maybe a cross between a cowboy and Fonzie. He wore the texas style shirts, big buckle and thick leather belt and (always) those boots. I never saw him wear a cowboy hat, that I remember. But he did have a thick head of dark brown, 'elvis-style' hair...complete with grease. :lol: Hey! He was cool.

They had a quarter-horse stud named "Nifty" and I always wanted to ride him but never got the nerve. Travis, however, could ride him and make him behave most of the time. When just about anyone else rode him, he took on a 'spirited' attitude and acted like a complete jackass.

aj