Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Good, the Bad, the Ugly and the Curve...

Steve(OR)

The Good:

Found this 1949-D Quarter yesterday at about 6 inches.

[attachment 108468 1949-D_obverse.JPG]

The Bad:

This quarter was found in my own backyard - in a spot that I've swept my coil (SE w/Pro coil) over at LEAST 150-200 times this past year. My worst MD nightmare comes true: I'm walking over DETECTABLE valuables with a metal detector and NOT hearing/digging them! Either my settings are/were incorrect to the point that a recognizable signal is not produced, OR I do not understand the signals that are generated. Ugh.

The Ugly:

The reverse (and some of the obverse) is coated with solidified roofing (road?) tar (at least that what it appears to be - could be something else). Any tips/tricks for removing this?

[attachment 108469 1949-D_reverse.JPG]

The (Learning) Curve:

I've had difficulties getting depth in my area... deepest object I've found was a pencil ferrule @ 7 inches at a 1940's school. So yesterday, I changed some settings, specifically Recovery: FAST OFF Deep ON (normally, Fast ON Deep OFF), and Gain: 10 (normally 6). Soil in this area is usually rusty iron infested and mineralized (Oregon), hence the Fast ON and lower Gain (... in an attempt to minimize the ever-present falsing).

I think the GAIN setting was the main difference here - there was shallow iron all around this quarter, at least one of which was falsing also. So (I'm assuming) my previous passes were just not being recognized with all the other iron/falsing signals.

But with the Gain at 10, I definitely heard something different - with a wiggle, and a glance at the Smart screen while rotating (pegged at classic quarter position at initial angle; turn 90 degrees right == bouncy, upper-right to left; turn 90 degrees left == bouncy, up and down right side; 180 degrees == iron/falsing).
Dig it... presto!

The trick now is to recognize the falsing from the good signals - AT DEPTH. But I don't believe the higher gain setting is going to help with the falsing!

Anyway, it's nice to have 'punched through' a little bit into a new level - in the ground, and on the learning curve...

SCM

Gasoline since this is used to loosen up Tar when applied to Foundation Coating in Construction. I'm sure the WD-40 will do the trick though. Also, using Deep On, Fast Off, you will get Nails to start sounding better if your using Conduct Tones. You should use Fast On, Deep Off and you will get less Iron Falses but you will also get Sounds that sound like Iron Falses but are really Deep Coins in amongst the Iron some of the time. The Gain is why you heard the Quarter and is why I use Gain set to 10 all the time, since I don't want to miss the Good Stuff. Also, no matter what you do, we all walk over Good Targets due to all the Iron Content so don't get down about that issue. You have to remember that there is layers and layers of Junk in the ground and that a lot of Coins are in between them thus no real way of getting signals from these targets. Hope this helps. Good Luck and HH.:thumbup:

Thanks James - I'll try the WD_40.

I'll definitely keep the Gain setting at 10 for a while, but will most likely go back to Fast ON and Deep OFF.

I've basically used Ferrous tones since I bought the SE, but after seeing the success that you and Bryce have had, I'm considering trying Conductive. I tried it once briefly after purchase, but everything sounded good. :confused: However, that was over a year ago, and I'm slightly smarter now... :lol:

Anyway, thanks for the advice - most appreciated!

SCM

I was wondered who that was, creeping around my back yard !?!

Hey GR, if you're going to 'salt' my yard again, would you please bury this coin:

http://flickr.com/photos/publicresourceorg/493874700/

:thumbup:

SCM

Very interesting observations on the settings. I've had my SE since last March and I'm still learning to use it and have only been comfortable with it about the last couple months.

Myself, I've been experimenting with the different settings such as Smooth, Long and Pitch Hold, but have pretty much settled on my tried and true Normal setting. Now I'm trying out messing with Gain and Recovery settings. I had been using 7 for Gain since the start, but just started using 10 and so far I like it. I have not been able to see any differences with Fast and Deep settings so far.:thumbup:

Steve(OR) said:
I was wondered who that was, creeping around my back yard !?!

Hey GR, if you're going to 'salt' my yard again, would you please bury this coin:

http://flickr.com/photos/publicresourceorg/493874700/

:thumbup:

SCM

man, that would be a find. That's worth about 50 G's!

Monster Zero said:
man, that would be a find. That's worth about 50 G's!

Maybe more: http://www.katu.com/news/3646081.html

Yeah, the find of a lifetime (... I still can't find where GR buried some of these. But I'm still looking!) :surrender:

I regularly drive by the property where this mint once stood (in downtown Oregon City). The original building that housed the mint was totally destroyed many years ago in a flood, but I always wonder if there are any of these beauties still around - waiting for me to dig `em up!?

SCM

"Later, the Oregon Exchange Company minted a run of fewer than 3,000 $10 gold pieces, Kagin said. He estimates only about 30 to 50 of the $5 coins still exist, and the $10 coins are rarer still."

Makes you wonder where they all went. Obviously the majority of them are in the various depths in the ground somewhere. Do you ever get a chance to swing over that destroyed property that once housed the "illegal" minting factory?

king-ghidorah said:
Makes you wonder where they all went. Obviously the majority of them are in the various depths in the ground somewhere. Do you ever get a chance to swing over that destroyed property that once housed the "illegal" minting factory?

They (the mint) were not using the standards at the time - these coins actually had more gold content then the federal $5 and $10 gold pieces being minted. So the vast majority of these coins were re-coined by the Feds at a profit (... the Fed hasn't changed much, have they?).

As for detecting there - only asphalt and concrete now. Always on the lookout for road/sidewalk construction around there though... that would make for some exciting possibilities... :detecting: ... since that's about as old as we get here in the Northwest... :angry:

SCM

Imagine if you heard that they were ripping up the asphalt & concrete and you could only work from 12-7am as they'd be pouring new stuff in the morning. You'd be down there swinging like the grim reaper I bet,heehee. I'd be down there too if I was in that area too, M not kidding myself :devil: