Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Good Pirate Ship 'Captured Hearts' is coming along nicely!

bdahunter

Just before we moved to Bermuda, the Princess and I took a tour of the east coast of the U.S. from Maine to Florida and back through the Great Lakes States of Michigan, Ohio and New York, we were looking for a Classic Wooden Boat. I Love boats and I Love wood so it was a no brainer (perhaps literally for those of you who know anything about old wooden boats). About half way through our quest an old timer at a run down marina in Annapolis gave us some sage advice "You don't find a wooden boat, Son. A wooden boat finds you." Hmmm.
We continued north for a few days until we made it to Ohio, by this point The Princess was getting a little cranky and I might add, a little discouraged; none of the boats we'd seen so far were right for us. She had to have a large aft cabin with full ensuite for my Princess and a second berth with a head for guests (girl thing), a decent galley (my territory), large enough to handle short ocean runs and of course be made out of wood.
I had heard about a Pacemaker in Grand Rapids, Michigan so we decided this would be our last boat before we headed for home, pointed the truck west and off to the far side of Michigan. We found the marina and started looking for the right finger dock without success, another old timer came up to us and asked us our business so I told him and he pointed us to finger dock 'A' where we found 'Captured Hearts' a 1959 42' Chris Craft Constellation, wrong boat. We continued our search and finally found the Pacemaker which was a basket case once you looked beyond the new paint job. As we were getting back into the truck, our quest a failure, the old timer reappeared and asked us what we thought of the boat.
"She's a basket case" I snorted.
"You don't know your boats" was his calm reply. Naturally, I took some offence as I do know my boats and I know wood having been a carpenter all of my life,
"That Pacemaker is ready to go to the bottom in the first stiff breeze" I retorted.
"You're right about the Pacemaker but you're dead wrong about the Connie" he replied still calm and now smiling.
"The Connie is a beautiful boat but she not for sale, too bad, Nice boat". I said with a hint of remorse in my voice.
"Oh, she's for sale all right and the guy wants to get rid of her real bad, he got her in a business deal and he already owns 3 boats, all tupperware and he doesn't appreciate a wooden boat" said the old timer with a twinkle in his eye. I guess he could tell that I'm a wooden boat nut and that I would love and take care of the old girl.
He went into the shop and came back with a phone number and a name, we called it but it was busy so I left my cell phone number and we waited and waited and Waited. Finally, we were out of time and had to head home to Canada, so I turned the truck east and headed for the Peace Bridge at Niagara Falls. Just before we got to Cleveland, Ohio my cell phone rang; it was the owner of the boat, Jim. I pulled over and we discussed Capture Hearts for about an hour. Jim didn't want the headache of a wooden boat and was looking to sell because of the high dockage fees at his marina for a boat of 'Captured Hearts' size. Jim explained that some young guys wanted to buy her so they could use her as a party boat until she sank at her anchor and he didn't think the old girl deserved that but the dockage fee was coming due again at the end of the month so what could he do? Jim was frank about her condition which I already knew from my own survey of Captured Hearts so at least I knew he was a straight shooter, he just didn't appreciate wooden boats which are a love'em or leave'em proposition. I looked at the Princess and said "What do you want to do?" "Turn around or keep heading for home?". I could tell by the look in her eyes that she was in Love with 'Captured Hearts' as I was (old wooden boats are like that) so when she said "Let's do it" I wasn't surprised.
I turned around at the next overpass and we drove for 8 more hours back to Grand Haven, Michigan. Jim was waiting for us at the dock and we took her out for a test cruise, she handled like a dream as only a classic wooden boat can, cutting the chop instead of pounding through them, twisting along her length when the waves took her beam on. I got her back in the slip and the money changed hands on the dock, then back into the truck and headed for home again, we arrived home dead tired after almost 2 days of hard driving but we still had silly grins on our faces when we walked in our door. We Had Our Boat! or more realistically Captured Hearts had us.
3 years later and a pile of money she's half way there to being better than the day she rolled out of the factory in Grand Haven, Michigan. We're still in love with her and we think she feels the same way about us and will keep us safe when Mother Ocean turns nasty.
The port engine has been replaced, the starboard engine is being rebuilt, the foredeck is being ripped up and the wiring and instrumentation replaced. Another year and we'll be finished! Then we're taking her south to Bermuda or whichever island we live on at that point. The perfect, treasure hunting, pirate ship, 'Captured Hearts'!

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

I have been a boater all my life and your story struck home. My love for the wooden boat goes way back too. My hat is off to you for having the talent and time it takes for a project like that.

she will be the love your lives for sure, and a gentle, well dressed mistress. Sailing her to the Islands will be wonderful.

hands to help get her back to her once original beauty. Obviously this has happened with you and your wife! Kind of reminds me of the movie Message in a Bottle. Of the wooden boats in it rather! And the name it'self,......Captured Hearts.........appears to fit her and you two nicely! Keep us updated as to your work. This is really interesting! Thanks for sharing. A very good story for Valentine's Day! :)

My father was a wood boat lover also. I spent much of my childhood helping him rebuild old wooden boats. I got pretty good at steaming ribs and planks, scribing in new floor timbers and cutting them out on a band saw, caulking, sanding and back then, the old red lead treatment. We had a few Chris Crafts in our yard but as I recall they were the double planked ones. Hard to find leaks in them.
Quite often we would just take fine sawdust out of the table saw and we had a shaker box. We would go around the water line with the box shaking loose saw dust. After awhile it would suck the sawdust into the leak and as it got stuck and swelled that would fix it.

Most of our boats were old down east hulls from NovaScotia or Eastport Maine. My father really was inlove with the lines of those hulls.
He would pick them up minus the decks and floor timbers so we could stack them on the trailer. Often it would be a 30 footer, a 26 footer, a 20 and then and 16 footer. Next trip 3 months later it would be different sizes again. Once back to the boat shop, we would finish them off for who ever bought them. Most were lobster hulls, but many of the smaller ones, 16 and 18 footers were just for familys that wanted a good sea boat. Later we built a lot of our own from scratch. Got pretty good a cutting in the stems and keels. All ours them were cobble planked and clinch nailed, the same as they did it up north. This was back in the late 50's, 60's and 70's. Once the fiber glass caught on that was the death blow for the wood boats.

I always like the workmanship on the Chris Crafts. We had one of the older mahogany ones like was in On Golden Pond. We put a new engine in it for him and stuffing box etc. As I recall he hit a rock with it. Beautiful boat. I remember the Pacemaker you spoke of also. Them and Egg Harbors at the time were very popular and pricey for then. I liked the old Grand Banks diesels. Not fast for sure, but a killer cruising range.

Sure like to see pictures of her when she is done or even as you go. What were they running then for engines? I know Ford had the big 430 cc out but back then Hercules, Perkins, Grey Marine etc were pretty popular. I know the Crhis Crafts has some really nice bright work inside and on the trip. I always liked the bow piece also. As you mentioned, they become of you, and you it. My father was always saving them from the mud flats. The only one I see him not save was a china junk some one dumped on us as class came about. We made the mistalke of hauling it and that was it... Finally burned it once we got thru the coast guard paper work. I'm thinking we could not read the numbers carved into the timbers of a documented vessel or something. Long time ago,

Do you have to copper sheet it there or put a worm keel on it for the warm waters?

Good post, look forward to following your project.

George-CT

steaming, were you doing this to bend the wood? Scott and myself want to start making some clocks, but most of the patterns call for bent wood. Is there a particular machine that does this? If so, what would I look for under google?? Just wondering! :)

He had some old hot water heater tanks and then later built some out of removed steam pipes we got of a job he was working on. I still have all the old wooden clamps and steel clamps we used to fasten the planks to the ribs until we could fasten them.

Here are few links with steam info...

http://www.danenbergboatworks.com/steam_bending.htm

http://www.shoal.net.au/~woodcraft1/articles/timberbending.html

Google this and scroll thru and you will see a lot of sites for just wood working like your doing.... Old hot water heater for steaming boat planks?

I see some good wood working ones in there.....

if it is down there with you, how did you get it there, down the Mississippi? That sure looks like a beautiful boat and what a treasure it will be when finished. I could not afford the dang fuel for a day trip myself:thumbup:

Thanks for taking the time to share your story with us and it is good to see you visiting. You alway have interesting posts:thumbup:

The cost to rebuilder her will be at least five times what we paid for her 4 years ago but in Bermuda that price would be ten times what we paid for her. Storage and skilled shipwrights are at a premium in Bermuda but we had the good fortune to hook up with a yard in Michigan that does a lot of work on wooden boats, especially Chris Crafts. I do what work I can (mostly the wood) when I make yearly trips to Michigan to work on her, the rest is in the hands of Mike the Mechanic (also a wooden boat owner).
I had a survey done by a guy who only works on Chris Crafts after I bought her and he sounded concerned over the phone but came down and had a look at her. He knows his Chris Crafts because he knew exactly where to look for problems on Old Connies like ours. The nice thing is that my own survey was on the money and most of the usual trouble spots were in good shape; his assessmnet was that I got a very good deal. Originally, Captured Hearts would have had twin, 350 Crusaders which are a little underpowered for her but these were changed to 440 Chryslers back in the 70's, plenty of power now. I plan to switch the 440's to EFI which will improve fuel economy as well as provide an extra 110 HP per side should I need it. She really is a labour of love but we don't mind. If I find some treasure with her once I get her to the islands it will be an excellent investment and if I don't find treasure in the water she's still a treasure to the Princess and myself.

Cheers,

BDA:cool:

That is something that I could do happily.. however, there does not appear to be any room for horses on the deck [Alices love], so that will have to wait for a while.

Where is she now?

calm seas

Mikie

I know these horse women well. Jane wants to sell the 5th wheel we have and get one that will bring her horse along and confine us to the smaller quarters up front. I don't mind the horses getting the better shoes and blankets, but not a better stable... Geo

n/t

I hope you're keeping a detailed log on your rebuilding experience. The story is just fantastic. I know that one day you'll be on the high seas with her, headed back to the home-forty.

Linda, Tom and I have a first cousin that had a huge wooden boat--and I believe it was a Chris-Craft. They rebuilt it and got their money's worth out of it. Too bad the boat has lasted a lot longer than her first marriage!

What a treasure. Thanks for sharing with us, bud!

aj

getting it to the islands.