Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The gold ring thing

Jason in TN

Ok did this type thing once before here when the Vision now the V3 first came out. Here are some targets done inside with the same sweep speed in analyze mode.
done in coin and jewelry with the 5.3 coil gain 7 sen 70. Take a look and decide for your self four gold rings pull tabs parts of cans and foil all the bad things when you
are looking for rings. Take a look and decide I would dig or not dig and is there enough difference to tell the gold from trash used several different size rings.

Jason

I cannot see enough of a difference to justify not digging everything. Or in my case, more than likely not dig any of it.

Downdeep said:
I cannot see enough of a difference to justify not digging everything. Or in my case, more than likely not dig any of it.

I now have about 8 gold rings out and all the trash before I have looked at the graphs and percentages and I can not tell enough of
a differance to dig or not dig my self every time i think I have it figured out i scan again and i have no idea.

Still looking and hoping there is a way. If so this detector would pay for its self real quick

Jason

Well to dig or not to dig is a personal thing looking at your photos which are far better than mine thank you for taking the time to do this I think there is an enormous difference between the rings and the trash and again over time it will be very obvious. I wouldn't have dug the +8VDI only ring I found that low was a 10k piece of tin but the other targets do show the consistency. It's not the top indicator I am looking for I get 22.5 nice spikes all the time its the red and green. This is all I have I know nothing else about the machine that has worked for me. I know this works with small silver and IH's. I cant seem to get a good graph out of ordinary clad or larger silver like a half. I tried the analyze with a silver ring (nothing) (silver half nothing) but with again with Gold, small silver, and IH's the machine works well. Nice set up Jason plus I think we all have to remember the other tools at our disposal left over from the DFX we have more combinations and more tools to use in determining what is and what isn't. I don't know I keep looking at that green hump and with the rings its far lower than with the trash and the red just seems to have a more level feel. What other types of metals are in Gold and tabs.

Has anyone had anything to say about the % and how that works out? I've found that to be completely benched but again there has to be something there to help us out.

Jason again thank you for taking the time to take all the pictures this gives me something else I can reference I'm going to print them out and bring them along in the morning.:detecting:

Sarah5150 said:
Well to dig or not to dig is a personal thing looking at your photos which are far better than mine thank you for taking the time to do this I think there is an enormous difference between the rings and the trash and again over time it will be very obvious. I wouldn't have dug the +8VDI only ring I found that low was a 10k piece of tin but the other targets do show the consistency. It's not the top indicator I am looking for I get 22.5 nice spikes all the time its the red and green. This is all I have I know nothing else about the machine that has worked for me. I know this works with small silver and IH's. I cant seem to get a good graph out of ordinary clad or larger silver like a half. I tried the analyze with a silver ring (nothing) (silver half nothing) but with again with Gold, small silver, and IH's the machine works well. Nice set up Jason plus I think we all have to remember the other tools at our disposal left over from the DFX we have more combinations and more tools to use in determining what is and what isn't. I don't know I keep looking at that green hump and with the rings its far lower than with the trash and the red just seems to have a more level feel. What other types of metals are in Gold and tabs.

Has anyone had anything to say about the % and how that works out? I've found that to be completely benched but again there has to be something there to help us out.

Jason again thank you for taking the time to take all the pictures this gives me something else I can reference I'm going to print them out and bring them along in the morning.:detecting:

Thanks for the reply i will keep working on it and see what i can come up with has to be a way the green does look a little higher on most trash items may scan a few more rings i have to see how it turns out.

I am starting to think after comments and many more swings of trash and gold in front of my coil that the pull tab will have the higher green reading 90% of the time
On the trash it seems to have more of a peek and not rounded as much. I do have one heavy wedding band 14k that shows a higer green peak almost or as high as the pull tab.
I may be a slight bit more rounded though. The small foil will still be a problem as far as i can tell. Ok need to go out and put this to work some more to see what I can come up with.

Jason

Interesting test, Jason. It appears the difference between the two arcs is less with a pull tab than with a gold ring. Do any of your gold rings ring in higher than a nickle? I've only found two gold rings with a VDI machine and one was in the nickle range and the other was a little below nickle. Curious if any ID higher. I hate the thought of passing up a gold ring because it looked like the two arcs were too close together. But, if that's what it looks like, tne Analyze mode will be a life saver.

Thanks for your work, and keep on diggin'

jimmyk in MIssouri

jimmyk said:
Interesting test, Jason. It appears the difference between the two arcs is less with a pull tab than with a gold ring. Do any of your gold rings ring in higher than a nickle? I've only found two gold rings with a VDI machine and one was in the nickle range and the other was a little below nickle. Curious if any ID higher. I hate the thought of passing up a gold ring because it looked like the two arcs were too close together. But, if that's what it looks like, tne Analyze mode will be a life saver.

Thanks for your work, and keep on diggin'

jimmyk in MIssouri

Jimmy yes there are gold rings that read higher than a nickel here are two both are 14k bands the small one reads real high must have a higher copper content.
The other larger band showes a spike in the 7.5 kh also. Both would be odd targets not really comparable to the pull tab. Now I am starting to think I should be spending more time
seeing where pull tabs read and worry less about where gold reads as it is all over the scale.

Jason

the V3 will not tell gold rings from pulltabs and trash. When I got mine I got a handfull of gold rings out along with some squaretabs and other trash and immediately figured out that I couldn't tell a difference, not really. Maybe with time and a lot of practice one could learn something to tell the difference but I think it is still a case of digging all the tabs and trash if you want gold rings, at least it's' that way for me.

Don't get me wrong... the V3 is an incredible detector. The thought and engineering that went into this machine is just amazing. I am really impressed with it. I am, being new to Whites, having a bit of a time learning it but I expect it will become my "go to" machine over time. I REALLY like it a LOT. I am reading through the manual again today and tomorrow.

I think I am going to change the tones to a two or three toone system. I think it will make more sense to me and be a little more stable sounding without so many different tones. I have been using "tone ID".

For now I think it is way to early for me to have any sort of opinion of this detectors capabilities... I have an opinion of how hard it is to learn... pretty hard, but that means it is complex and that implies it is a great machine.

Julien

jbow said:
the V3 will not tell gold rings from pulltabs and trash. When I got mine I got a handfull of gold rings out along with some squaretabs and other trash and immediately figured out that I couldn't tell a difference, not really. Maybe with time and a lot of practice one could learn something to tell the difference but I think it is still a case of digging all the tabs and trash if you want gold rings, at least it's' that way for me.

Don't get me wrong... the V3 is an incredible detector. The thought and engineering that went into this machine is just amazing. I am really impressed with it. I am, being new to Whites, having a bit of a time learning it but I expect it will become my "go to" machine over time. I REALLY like it a LOT. I am reading through the manual again today and tomorrow.

I think I am going to change the tones to a two or three toone system. I think it will make more sense to me and be a little more stable sounding without so many different tones. I have been using "tone ID".

For now I think it is way to early for me to have any sort of opinion of this detectors capabilities... I have an opinion of how hard it is to learn... pretty hard, but that means it is complex and that implies it is a great machine.

Julien

Julien

I do agree with you that if you want to be sure you get all the gold then you will need to dig all the trash. I do feel that with practice and having limited time you will be able to eliminate a lot of the
common pulltabs and some can slaw and with some work dig the most likely gold targets and up your odds a good bit in the gold hunting department. I think at this point this is the best jewlery hunting detector that is made now. If we could just get Jimmy to get the bigfoot coil ready for the V3 i would be a happy boy.

Thanks. Good info. I think you may be on to something. Zero in on the pull tabs and screw caps to isolate them. But...if in doubt...dig. Yo can also evaluate your spots as to the probability of finding lost rings and hunt accordingly.Wonder where a large classring ID's at.

Thanks again,

jimmyk in MIssouri

jimmyk said:
Thanks. Good info. I think you may be on to something. Zero in on the pull tabs and screw caps to isolate them. But...if in doubt...dig. Yo can also evaluate your spots as to the probability of finding lost rings and hunt accordingly.Wonder where a large classring ID's at.

Thanks again,

jimmyk in MIssouri

Do not have any large class rings right now but they will go in to the 50's maybe as high as a Zinc penny.

Thanks for the informative test Jason, My last 2 Rings I have found were VDI 47 and VDI 45 and both Rings had full 1K Diamonds on them, so If I was hunting on the planet Moon, I would still dig all High VDI 40's regardless.

I'M trying to figure out if Pull Tab's or Rings on edge will alter the sizing on the Analyze screen, time and practice and watching this forum will tell

ANY target on edge will give you a completely different VDI, SpectraGraph, Audio and Analyze data. That is why I would not RELY on Analyze data to tell me what to dig, but it is a good tool to HELP me decide what to dig. I have dug many good targets that had good or questionable audio and a lousy Analyze screen. Segmented jewelry, multiple targets in the same hole, targets with trash, and simply DEEP targets will not give reliable foolproof data. Sometimes you just have to dig a target on a "gut" feeling.

I don't say this to discourage testing the limits of the Analyze screen, it is a very useful tool, I just would not rely heavily on the data or you will miss some really good targets. Try passing those rings by the coil on edge Jason.

Larry (IL) said:
ANY target on edge will give you a completely different VDI, SpectraGraph, Audio and Analyze data. That is why I would not RELY on Analyze data to tell me what to dig, but it is a good tool to HELP me decide what to dig. I have dug many good targets that had good or questionable audio and a lousy Analyze screen. Segmented jewelry, multiple targets in the same hole, targets with trash, and simply DEEP targets will not give reliable foolproof data. Sometimes you just have to dig a target on a "gut" feeling.

I don't say this to discourage testing the limits of the Analyze screen, it is a very useful tool, I just would not rely heavily on the data or you will miss some really good targets. Try passing those rings by the coil on edge Jason.

Larry here you go did the last one on edge VID same or close Analyze has two humps but is close. Still going to be hard to tell but in a place with rings and a lot of tabs think you will be able to better your odds if you do not have the time to dig it all.

Jason

Thanks Jason, the ones that I tried had a stone/s and the VDI's were even off depending on the angle held and the mount was up or down, etc.

Thanks for all the great info Jason. In looking at the photos prior to the hump the blue and green lines look like they are merged on the gold with greater separation on the junk . Wonder if this holds true in the ground ?. Just a thought

Pat

The reading you get seems to have a lot to do with the placement of the target and the sweep speed. It will take some practice to get a good reading for sure.