Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Ghost Signal

Dirt NC

As an avid detectorist I am always on the lookout for places to explore. I really enjoy getting outdoors and searching for old coins and relics of the past. A friend of mine called one evening to tell me about a small abandoned graveyard located on a hilltop deep in the South Carolina woods. He had stumbled upon it while exploring a new deer lease that his hunting club had recently aquired. He thought that I might be interested in checking it out with my detector and gave me permission to be on the property. I jotted down the GPS coordinates of the site and told him that I would check it out during the upcoming weekend.
I left early saturday morning and drove the forty miles to the property. I grabbed my backpack and detector from the truck and headed into the woods in search of the graveyard. After hiking a good mile or so I located the wooded knoll that held the small burial ground. The graves were shallow depressions in the ground, some with flat rocks serving as headstones. They were arranged in a circular fashion with a giant oak tree standing in the center of the circle. I would never dig over a grave but I didn't see any harm in detecting around that oak tree. There just has to be something good around that tree. For the next thirty minutes I swung my coil low and slow around the base of that oak but had come up with nothing. I figured that I would stay a few more minutes and than head back to the truck. Then I heard it. The faint sound of a deep silver coin was barely audible in my headphones. The next twenty minutes were spent digging around large roots and wiping sweat from my eyes. Each time that I scanned the hole with my detector the faint signal seemed to be in a slightly different place but still there. All of a sudden I had the
feeling that someone was looking over my shoulder as I was kneeling down there digging. I'm not sure exactly how to explain it but the hair on the back of my neck stood up and I just knew that someone was standing over me. I jumped up from my knees and spun around expecting to see someone behind me but there was no one. Still startled I turned around three hundred and sixty degrees looking for whoever was there. No one was there other than myself and the dead that lay in the depressions around me. A cool wind seemed to come up out of nowhere and the sky began to darken with clouds. The temperature suddenly dropped twenty degrees amd I noticed that I was starting to shiver. I also noticed how gloomy the woods had suddenly become. I hurriedly gathered my gear and made tracks out of there. I reached the truck exhausted and briar torn from running for most of the way back. As for the silver coin? I guess its still there.....if it ever was at all.

n/t

detected in a cemetary,(I had remembered it as a kid and killed one of the biggest whitetail deer in my life there when I was 13 yrs old), it was the same type of feeling. Like you, I wouldnt dig in to a grave, but wanted to run the detector all around the area. There had been an old church there at one time.

After the strange feeling first came over me, I crossed the old dirt road in to the other part of the cemetary. I couldnt shake the feeling and was starting to feel a little nervous. As I was walking along, I noticed a copperheard snake spread out on the ground about two foot long. I didnt bother to kill it even though I hate snakes. I left it alone and began to swing my detector again when I looked about 15 ft away only to see ANOTHER snake!

Even though I had walked a good mile to the cemetary from my truck, I got the heck out of there. Maybe Ill go back in the winter.......maybe.

Lil Brother

were little hints that maybe you shouldn't be there? Resting places are always interesting to me, but sometimes long ago, things were buried around them. Maybe someone was trying to let you know this find was not for you. I admire your respect! :)

I always love a detecting story and we have had our share of spooky story's too. Fred has posted some. Nobody can explain that feeling you had but it is real!!

Stick around!! It is a friendly place to kick back and read

n/t

My motto has always been....When scared, run like hell. When the hairs on the back of my neck stand straight out, I figger they are pointing at something and I head in the other direction.:(

very well written, you had me engrossed! Makes you wonder about the signal, doesn't it? But you know what, if it was me, I'd go back and with the detector again. It would be like a bee in my bonnet, I'd have to find out if there is anything there. The old oak tree sounds like the perfect place to find old coins. When it was smaller, I'm sure kids would hang upsidedown on a limb, or just climb all over it, people sitting under it for shade. Either way, they must have dropped coins from their pockets! Imagine. Here in Australia, when the pennies went out of circulation, people used to buried them in tins under trees, or in the gardens. Many tins of coins have been found by detectorists, and some of the pennies date to the early 1900's.
So you never know....:)

Nice story Dirt. Kind of reminds me of that creepy old slave graveyard you and I hunted around last year. With the trees all grown up in it and the field stone grave markers knocked askew by the roots, it rivaled anything I've ever seen in a horror movie. The only thing that was missing was the fog! :look:

- Tioga

n/t

Don't like passing up a chance to read any story here. Every one of them is a treat, this one included. I'd probably go back there for a quick peek.........with a buddy, of course ! Great story !

in High Point, NC. I have also been to Ashville, which was a nice place. Your part of the country is beautiful. Write us a story, stick around, you'll like it here! :)