Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Ghost Ship...

Ron J

Don't know how many of your were kicking around at this time,but in 1978,New England got whacked with a 100 year storm, The Blizzard of 78. I was around 28.It snowed for days.24 hours aday,the news on tv was regarding the storm.Emergency management took over,Gov Dukakis was "in charge".He declared the Commomwealth of Massachusetts is under National guard/state of emergency.This meant NO driving any vehicles,unless it was Military,Red Cross,etc.Hundreds of people were stuck for days in Boston,In cars on highways.The snow was so deep,no plows could get through.I owned a 73 Datsun 240Z,at the time,and all i could see of it was the little ball on the top of the antenna!I lived across the street from Beverly Harbor at the time.Breakers were in the harbor.Extremely rough seas.About a mile out of the harbor,near Mysery Island,the Global Hope,a 400ft or so freighter had been anchored for a few days before the storm,with engine failure.This was not a normal place for a ship that size to be.Well it certainly got caught in the storm,dead in the water.Anyway it had started to drift,extreme sea's,and wind made it drift towards Beverly.It got caught on a rocky ledge,that's visible at low water.Somewhere along the line,during the storm,the ship,must of put out a MAYDAY for help.We found out after the storm,a Coast Guard rescue boat,from Gloucester,(10 miles or so away),had tried to reach the ship.The rescue boat was tossed on Dane St. Beach in Beverly. No one got hurt.(I later saw that rescue boat moored at a pier.It had to been submerged,it was covered,and full of fresh green seaweed.Neversaw anything like it.Anyway,while this "rescue" was being attempted,another civilian vessel,heard the MayDays from both the C.G.,and the Global Hope. The Pilot boat,"Kan-Do" set out of Gloucester,to help both vessels,with a crew of three i believe.The Crew were all lost,the Kan-Do was lost. I don't know what anyone could of done even if they reached the frieghter.It was jammed solid,and couldn't budge.Thier crew was safe. I don't remember how long after the storm,maybe a few weeks,a spotter plane found the remains of the "Kan-Do".I don't think any of the crew was found.The Global Hope was salvaged a few months later,heard it was towed to Texas,for scrapping. The Kan-Do was raised,and salvaged,by Burnham Contruction.They have a barge,and equipemt for bridge repairs,underwater salvage etc. They still have the vessel,renamed "GRAMPUS".It has been moored in Beverly Harbor all these years. If that vessel,ever visited Gloucester Harbor,i doubt any fisherman there,would ever go out again.Fisherman are very superstious about this type of thing. (Off track for a second,i gotta tell you a little tidbit of history,,In 1928 Massachusetts had the 3d profile of a Codfish on every 1928 License plate.Problem was 1928 was a poor fishing year,and the fisherman blamed the fact,the fish was 'swimming from the "MASS" printed on the plates,in 1929,the state,only stamped the 3d Codfish on commercial/truck plates only,making them extremely rare,but the Codfish was "swimming towards the "MASS" printed on the plates.)Here is a photo of the "Ghost" ship.[attachment 35091 HPIM0175.JPG]

Can you keep the boat if you salvage it from the bottom of the sea?

A year or two ago, I saw a movie named "The Perfect Thunderstorm" where the entire crew was lost because of a huge wave, sorta like a tidal wave. They were out to sea fishing and got caught in a bad storm and all of them died. Your story reminded me of that movie.

I am not a water person, but boat stories do interest me. I read some stories about the Bermuda Triangle where strange things happen to boats and airplanes.

Wish you would post some more stories like this one...I really liked it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I hear tell that the movie was based on a true story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I was working for VT AOT plowing snow and highway maintenance. We sent a dozen or so trucks down to the Worcester area. Some ended up on 495 and 190.

Dave

That would scare me.....big time ! That "ghost" ship does remind me of the vessel in the Perfect Storm as Fred said. Seeing a wave like that would pretty well mean kissing your fanny goodbye. What a frightening thought. Great post and story Ron.:)

When I was in Victoria, we had 'the storm of the century' Not as bad as yours.... but it was pretty good for the mild climate that is the norm there...

Fair winds

M

even with todays equipment you can be helpless! I can barely imagine what it was like 100 years back and how courageous they were back then.

about it though. Until now! :D Thanks for posting it Ron:thumbup:

unless emergency/gov/vehicles.The Nat'l Guard was at major entrances to citys.They had roadblocks at the Beverly-Salem Bridge.They would stop you. People were walking everywhere,no cars whatsover!Walking down any roads,the snow would be 2 or 3 foot deep,packed solid.Had to watch out for manhole covers,this created holes,over the covers,from melted snow.Stores hard barely enough stock,milk,bread,were available,but not in abundance.Everyone was friendly!! Everyone said Hi! The Nat'l guard brought in heavy equipment to remove snow from major roads.It was really a mess,BUT is was fun also.Everything was so quiet..As resturants started opening,slowly,it was a treat to WALK to them,especially at night.Business's were not allowed open for almost week,except for food related. Even Boston was closed!People talk about how they walked thru the Sumner/Callahan tunnels into/out of Boston,Sking or pulling sleds! Kinda like Katrina/New Orleans,Police had to check out every car on the highways,for trapped people.Alot of cars/trucks were almost buried.There are a couple of books,out,one on the Blizzard of 78,another about the KAN-DO,called "10 Hours to DAWN". Haven't got either,but plan too. Later after most roads were reopened,and ban lifted to drive,WE all hopped in our Steel Steeds,and started not being friendly again.Guess we don't realize how unfriendly we become, driving our battle-wagons everyday,until the privilege is taken from Everybody!! It was an experience my daughters,and I will never forget!