Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Forbidden Plateau

bdahunter

My Comox Indian friend James told me several tales over the course of the excavation of the old native dumpsite and one was his tale about

reminds me of the story of the commanche,who were actually a band of the cheyenne,the word commanche is a ute word which means,he who always wants to fight with me.

though the commanche claim this area as their stomping ground they were actually driven here by other cheyenne bands,the spanish were in this area before the commanche according to some historians.

James had a better backdrop, of course, being within a stone's throw of where the Haida perished and within sight of where the children were kidnapped.
I've hiked up on Forbidden Plateau with my dog and it is beautiful with the wildflowers in bloom. In winter it is an uninviting place with no protection from the wind. One spring I was about an hour out from the 'Forbidden' trail head when I noticed shadows moving through the forest above me, wolves. They must have picked up the scent of my bouvier,(100 lb, black shaggy sheepdog) who I quickly put back on lead before he got their scent. If my dog had gone after those wolves, he would have disappeared like the people in the story. I know that wolves don't attack humans but with only a walkingstick for protection I felt a little vulnerable watching those large shadows flitting through the edge of the forest. I made it back to the truck in well under an hour.

Eric

n/t

It is still essentially the same one I heard [maybe a couple of changes]..... but you did a better job in the telling than I have heard from anyone.

Many thanks

Calm seas

Mikie

James gets all the credit really, he was an excellent storyteller. I just did a little regurgitating.:puke:

Fair Winds, Mate!

Eric

the first of Comex Lake from The Forbidden Plateau and the second is a long shot of the lake and the Plateau. The Plateau is the white circle in the middle.

Fascinating history. Thanks for taking the time to post it

[attachment 58091 comoxlake.jpg]

[attachment 58092 Comozlakeforbiddenplateau.jpg]

Thanks for taking the time to share it with us. Some times I just wonder what it would have been like to have lived back then.

But then again, with the average life spanning just into the 40's and maybe 50's...I kinda like it here...to LOOK at the forbidden plateau rather than to experience it.

Great story. Thanks.

aj