Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The "Flyingfish"

Ron J

[attachment 100446 DSC05178.jpg]Last night, a friend notified me that there is a Coast Guard Cutter on display, and open house, in Newburyport Mass. This town was a very old fishing town, but more tourist attraction now. Newburyport also happens to be considered the "Home of the Coast Guard" due to the fact, the first "Revenue Cutter" was built there. (predecessor to the Coast Guard) Its a 25 minute ride from Beverly, so this morning i hopped on my Roadstar, and headed up, with a loaded Camera. I have been on a 47', but never an 87' . The 87 ftrs are fairly new, started being built in the late 80's. This vessel is the Flyingfish.[attachment 100433 DSC05138.jpg] Built in 2002, she is very new. Latest electronics, fiber optics etc. Powered by twin turbo diesels, she can cruise at 25 knots if need be... She is stationed out of Boston.[attachment 100434 DSC05141.jpg] Verywell built, with National Security, and Law enforcement in mind, she also has comforts for the 11 person crew, Big screen TV, galley, etc. Designed to go on two week missions at a time. Smaller digital monitors were mounted everywhere, with camera's covering the entire where abouts of anyone on board. I visited from bow to stern, Galley,crews quarters,engine compartment,and the Pilot house.[attachment 100445 DSC05150.jpg] The stern is designed to open, enabling a small but useful craft to slide out,and perform whatever duty may be needed, without putting the Cutter in too close to a dangerous situation. [attachment 100439 DSC05140.jpg] There is no ships wheel! Steering is by a lever, or toggle.[attachment 100443 DSC05152.jpg] Wouldn't mind owning one, myself! :D The crew members were very friendly, and you could tell, they were professional, and really enjoyed the duty.Rj

You have posted some neat pictures of the boat...enjoyable to view. In the next to last picture, is that the lever that they use to steer the boat with? Ron, do any of the Coast Guard boats have any guns mounted on them? I have always enjoyed your sea stories, always interesting...thanks for posting this story with the pictures. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

PS: Do you have the Guardian Bell hanging on your bike?

While visitng down below, i was interested in seeing the power source of course! The Chief was next to the closed hatchway. I asked to photo the twins through the hatch porthole, he sad sure, but wait, while he opened the hatch,and invited be in to inspect his Baby's! I started to shoot a couple of pictures, when he stopped me, and asked me to give him the camera, he would shoot me.[attachment 100448 DSC05153.jpg] He took one photo, then pressed me into flexing my "muscles". What the heck, when will i ever get a chance to be here again! :D AND it was an order, from the Chief![attachment 100449 DSC05154.jpg] Can't look serious all the time i guess.:D I always find it nescessary to get photos of the Flags. Guess being American, i am mighty Proud of the Stars & Stripes! :thumbup:[attachment 100450 DSC05188.jpg]Notice the rope work around that stern flagpole?[attachment 100451 DSC05180.jpg][attachment 100452 DSC05173.jpg][attachment 100453 DSC05170.jpg] Rj

but is used primarily for coastal patrol, Local law enforcement regarding smuggling, fishing laws/limits, boating safety etc.Yes they are armed. There was a Ak ? rifle mounted in the pilot house,also. [attachment 100454 DSC05159.jpg]That is the toggle for steering the vessel. Yes the bell is hanging off the Roadstar,keep meaning to take a picture, but haven't ridden it too much. Thanks again for the bell, Fred.:thumbup:

Those are some big engines! In the next to last photo, is that the anchor? That boat appears to be spotless...must spend lots of time chipping and painting, and using mops on the deck. I kinda wish that I could have been there too! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

do you ever read in the newspapers about one of these boats being used to catch the bad people committing crimes...like drug smuggling? Have you ever seen one of those small subs being used by the drug dealers? Recently, I read a story about them in our newspaper...did not know that they existed. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Drug busts are in warmer waters... Florida. Occasionally we may read of a bust in Gloucester, which is still very active as a fishing port. Still alot of fishing vessels earning there living, and they would be confiscated if caught smuggling Last visit i had with my Uncle in Provincetown, he spoke of being propositioned a few times when he owned his Fishing Dragger.[attachment 100455 JudyRodProvincetown085.jpg] Offered megabucks for only one night to use his vessel. It may have been a yrs pay, but he was smart. Wasn't worth risking his lively hood!

through the tube. The Flags .... on far right is the Massachusetts State Flag, next is the MIA Flag, next the Coast Guard Ensign, the closest Flag is for a some Civil War actors who had camp set up next to the wharf i believe, for the regiment?

I always enjoyed seeing them on the water. There was a big station right there in New London and they used to open them for tours from time to time. We have a few guys in our club that are in the CG also on drug patrol etc. No idea where they patrol.

It looks like that orange rubber hull is the one that drops out of the stern. Pretty slick way to launch them and get back in also. Looks
like you had a great tour on board. Can't beat summer on the water in New England, unless your on the water in the Caribbean in January and February and March. I think they should put a ships wheel in there anyway. Looks like something is missing from the wheel house.

Thanks for post and pictures, Great job as usual.

George-CT

n/t

St Thomas in the Virgin Islands and think of the poor sucker that pulled that duty instead of Iceland! It looks like you had another great day