Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The explosion... or "Why I still have tinnitis"

flint

Well, after reading a bunch of humorous stories here in this forum from several great storytellers, I decided that I'd add my own little bit of some of the stupid things I did as a kid. I hope you like it.

When I was about 13 or 14 years old, growing up in a small town in rural Northern California, my two best friends in the whole world were Justin and Wes. Justin was about three years younger than I was, and Wes was in the grade behind me. We all lived on the same street, and tended to get into trouble together whenever possible... and living in a small rural town meant we got into plenty of trouble over the years.

Justin was probably the coolest friend I had because his dad was into really cool things, like demolition and hunting, so he had plenty of blasting caps and reloading supplies laying around just waiting for us to take. On this day in question, Justin had swiped a full case of 12-gauge primers, and we were over at Wes's house doing our thing, since both of his parents were at work.

We started out pounding them with rocks and hammers, and though our ears were ringing, we started losing interest in such a tame way to 'dispose' of these playthings. We put our minds together to try to come up with some new and novel way to blow these things up, and the best idea we could come up with was to start piling them up and do more than one at a time.

So, we'd pile up a few of them, stick them under a rock, then hit the rock with a hammer, which resulted in an even louder 'boom' than before, yet it still wasn't that novel, and the excitement factor was lacking. At that point, Justin came up with the best idea ever... let's pile 'all' of them up into one big pile, and blow them up that way. We all quickly agreed that this was a much better idea than just piling up a few, so we began emptying out the packages of primers into one pile in the center of the patio.

As we emptied package after package, the pile started to get pretty big... and by the time we were done, it was about 1-1/2" tall and about 5" around... we're talking 'scary' big by this time. There had to be at least 1,500 to 2,000 primers in that pile. As we were eyeballing the mound of primers, both Wes and Justin refused to be the one charged with detonating it, so that left it up to me. Wes went over to his mom's flowerbed and picked out a big flat cinder block that was used as a stepping stone, and laid it over the pile, then went into his dad's shop and grabbed a 10-lb. sledgehammer.

As he handed me the sledge, I remember the thought in the back of my mind saying "don't be stupid... you're about to do something 'really' stupid...", but as kids do, I blotted that thought out of my head and got ready to swing the hammer. As I stood over the pile, with the hammer resting on my shoulder, I mentioned to the two guys that they had better step back a bit, because this was gonna be a doozie. Once they had gained safe distance, I took a deep breath, raised the hammer over my head, and swung it as hard as I could...

*KABOOOOOOOM!*

The explosion was easily 10 times worse than I expected it to be... the noise was beyond deafening, pieces of primer shrapnel flew out in all directions, piercing our clothes and sticking into our skin, and the cinder block disintegrated, with pieces of that flying around along with the metal. On the patio was a black and white powder burn 12" in diameter, the center of which was etched down into the concrete about 1/4". I remember Justin and Wes at first faintly screaming out in pain as they were overcome by shrapnel (even at 10' away), then laughing hysterically as they recovered and surveyed the outcome... only I couldn't hear them laughing, I could only see it. The ringing in my ears was so loud that when they tried to talk to me afterward, I could barely make out what they were saying if they yelled, and when I went home later on that evening, the ringing had only subsided a bit, just enough that I could hear voices as if I were wearing earplugs.

That night my dad came into my room and asked if we had been shooting off a cannon over at Wes's house, because he had been working outside on our family car and had heard the explosion. Our house was over 500 yards down the street, across two orchards and an onion field, yet it still sounded like a cannon at that distance. That impressed me as far as how loud the explosion had been.

It took about three days before the ringing mostly went away, but I still carry it with me... a reminder of how stupid young boys can be, and how I got lucky that all I lost was a bit of my hearing.

Sometimes we just get lucky ! One of our neighbors from 15 yrs. ago had a son that lost an eye doing that. Looking back on some of the crazy things we did as boys can be really frightening. Glad the consequences were minimal:thumbup: Thanks for the great story and reminder of our wreckless youth. Really enjoyed it !

In my small country school, I can remember one boy minus an eyeball and another minus a couple of fingers. The girls I remember were not mutilated. Guess girls just didnt have as much fun as boys.:)

But I have made some big boomers out of cherry bombs tied together.We were lucky to survive our youth!Thanks for a great story!

I am amazed you lived this long!

You tell a good story and write well. Thanks for posting it here!

Welcome to the forum. There are some good people here. Good people and WillyP :D

for sharing one of your childhood stories. I am a girl with two mean brothers, so I had a hard time trying to keep up with them. Of course I didn't realize I wasn't as tough as they were for many years.

It's a wonder most of us made it to adulthood!

Great story flint, thanks for sharing it with us! Where there is one, there is more, so get busy writing! :)

good in a country neighborhood of all boys and me! I was quite the tomboy until my boobs started to grow! :rofl: :)

Your story is so typical, you get bored and must do something bigger and bigger until it bites you in the butt.

Remember the cherry bomb firecrackers? Just popping them became boring and first thing you know, you were blowing up someone's mail box or something similar.

I enjoyed your story, it brought back some great memories...thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

mess at the bottom of our outhouse with firecrackers. We could not afford the M-80 or Cherry Bombs though. They were a dime each!

I remember throwing a firecracker down in the pile and it went out. Dang! I got a stick and if I reached way down in the hole and my buddy hung on to me I found I could fish it out. I looked it over and wiped it clean and stuck it in my pocket. What we would do with duds is break them in half and lay them on the ground. Then we would light them and stomp them. They would go off then.

We went over to the Renolds house and called for Eugene. He was one of our buddys. Back in those days if you wanted a buddy to come to the door you just stood there and yelled his name!! "Eugene! Eugene!" Mrs Renolds came to the door and said Eugene had chores to do.

We turned away and all of a sudden that dang firectackers started fizzling right in my pocket!! You know what a fizzler is. They just shoot out the end like a dang sparkler! Well that sucked because it was like having a sparkler in my dnag pocket!!

I got to screaming and clutching at my right pocket and old lady Renolds shoved me down and jerked my pants off. They were burnt right through!! My leg blistered something terrible too!!

Thanks ALOT for bringing back THAT memory!!:sadwalk:

We would get bored just lighting them and watching them explode. Some of our favorite targets were mail boxes, out houses, someone's front porch late at night, or flushing one down the commode at school.

Bottle rockets were always good too! One time we shot one in the direction of a couple of feral hogs down by Leon Springs Creek and it back fired on us...it made the hogs mad and they came after us. Those feral hogs can be unpredictable and mean tempered if you stir them up. Needless to say, we never did that again. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

when I was doing my training for my National EMT cert, I had to put 80 hrs. in the ER. We had a guy bring his son in who was in pretty bad shape. Seems he and some buds were exploring in the barn and found some blasting caps. These were the fuse type, not the electric. The kid had taken one, put it on an anvil and hit it with a ballpein hammer. KABOOM! The kid is now minus the thumb and forefinger on his left hand and both eyes. The hammer and copper casing shrapnel is what got his eyes. He looked like someone had shot him in the face with a shotgun! You were DANG! lucky! Glad ya could tell about it!

Dave

Only we NEVER put that many together. I do not think it was fear of the primers.... It was ferar of my dad. And what he would do when he found all those primers missing.

Thanks for the story!!

sunny skies

M

n/t

n/t

happened to me many times during my youth! Would make my whole hand numb for a while! I knew better than to tell my mother or daddy, cause then I would be in trouble for not watching what I was doing! I swear some of them have very short wicks! :crazy: