Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Explorer 2 DOES find coins at 12"

Jay- oldcoins

By now the nasty squabbling over posts from a few weeks ago concerning just how deep the X2 can ID and find coins has simmered down, so let me poke the hornet's nest again.

Yesterday I hunted a beach/swim area on a small northern Indiana lake. It was part of a well planned and maintained park. The beach and water had been hit frequently by other detectorists; I didn't expect much. To my surprise, up at the top of the beach near the sidewalk separating sand from grass, I got deep signals. These truly were near the limits of the detector. The first two signals dug were both Merc dimes, and both were down 12". Yes, an honest 12". These, and the following coins, were easy to measure and all ran between 10 and 12" deep. There may well have been deeper ones, but out of range totally. The coins were embedded in a compacted layer of black organic-rich fine sand that was rather consistently a measured 10" beneath the "beach" sand, which had been artificially added. This was a coarser clean sand, "sand" colored. It appears that sometime back the park system enlarged or improved the existing beach by covering it with new trucked-in sand. It isn't real clear whether this layer of black sand represents land- grass- which they covered to deepen the beach, or whether it may have been shallow water deposits, filled with the new sand also to enlarge the beach. I took 16 Wheaties, 2 Mercs (1923, 1942), and a silver Roosie (1946) out of this area in about 1 1/2 hours. All were in a band from the sidewalk out 12 or so feet in a strip maybe 100 feet long. Beyond that area, heading toward the water which was maybe 50 feet away, there were few coins and the black layer thinned out and became much shallower and less distinct. I did find a few 1940's coins there but they were sparse, and shallower. This area probably had been "hunted out" as coins were in depths reachable by most detectors. The band I was finding coins in was probably out of range for most detectors.

Since this was such a distinct layer, with a firm surface, it was easy to scoop out the "new" sand and measure the depth to the black layer, which I frequently did. The coins were from near the surface of the black layer to 2" down into it. All the Wheaties had dates in the 1940s; a few were older worn ones that were probably lost in the 40s. Most had a heavy adhering crust of sand glued there with copper carbonates (these pennies do not clean up real well). It seemed apparent that the "new" beach sand was added in the late 1940s or early 50s, was evenly spread out, and is about 10" deep over the area I was hunting. And all these coins were 10 to at least 12" down from the surface. The sand was wet from recent rains.

This gave me a chance to check out different settings to see what worked best with really deep coins. There was moderate electrical interference from somewhere which forced me to drop sensitivity down to manual 20 or so. Above that, readings were jumping all over. I had the WOT large 15" coil on (my favorite). I was hunting in ferrous with a 1/4" wide band up and down the left side of screen and across the bottom blacked out, to get rid of nails and steel bottle caps. Deep and fast off, gain at 6, audio 1, digital readout (Thanks, Cody!!). There weren't too many junk signals around so that helped. Signals on these deep coins had rather faint sounds, but most repeated in several different directions. The coil had to be close to the ground to hear anything. The digital numbers bounced around, with maybe 1/3 of them in acceptable coin ranges (like 00-28, or 00-22, 0r 04-23 and so on. Some dropped lower. Sound was pretty good, some fluty sounds, and enough of the nice high pitch to catch your attention. They were quite hard to pinpoint- often giving nothing unless you raised the coil up a foot or so off ground when changing from detect to pinpoint, which seems to give a stronger signal to pinpoint. Then you could get enough of a "tick" in several directions to get an "x" mark out of it. Pinpoint is certainly one of the weakest features on the Explorer. I tried several other settings over some deep coins to see what worked best, and found that sensitivity didn't make much difference, dropping down to 16 or up into higher 20s (which caused a lot of interference and was actually worse. I was swinging slowly and carefully (maybe 3 seconds per sweep). Deep on didn't help much, nor did fast. The best aid was switching to Audio 2 which gave a much wider and stronger signal than audio 1, and allowed raising the coil another inch off the ground without losing signal. Audio 2 would take some getting used to, as there are some odd parts of the signal compared to audio 1, but I used 2 for the rest of the hunt with great results. For the most part, the sounds and warbling (flutiness??) was similar to audio 1. I didn't try switching to conductive; wish I had now.

There were some nails at the 12" level that gave off some coin-number signals and sounds. For the most part, they had far more off-signals, and sounded good usually in one direction only. Often the pinpoint spot did not match the same spot located by "x"ing in discrimination, it would be off a few inches. I dug a number of these marginal signals hoping for the best, but as I recall all of them were bad, nails or other iron. There were also decent sounds coming from signals that ran around 00-12. I dug several of these and couldn't find anything. Maybe rusted away disintegrated bottle caps??

So, I hope this helps in the how-deep-does-it-go controversy, and may help a bit in finding those real deep coins.

Of course the area you were hunting may have helped and settings can vary from operator to operator..Basically 6 to 8 inch targets are more the norm but a 12 inch or perhaps even deeper is possible..Last year hunting with a younger fellow he dug a measured 16 inch English half penny( 1739) from a 100 year old park in the flood zone. One wonders how many 12 inch targets there are in the ground, but bet your boots an Explorer has the ability to find them.

Thats way too deep , if you get caught you would stand a fairly good chance of getting booted off the park! happy hunting.:crylol:

I agree- a 12" deep in the lawn could be trouble. But this was a BEACH- no grass, no soil, just pure quartz sand, and I was digging right around where the kids had dug huge holes in the sand and made big castles surrounded by moats drawing in the lake water. And they just left them there at the end of the day. And some adults had dug holes in the sand to hold their beach umbrellas, left with the unbrellas and the hole remained. At least I filled my holes with the sand I took out, putting in the old darker coin-containing sand first and topping it off with all the cleaner surface sand- so it looked just like the rest of the beach. Complete with footprints. When the Park Patrol starts arresting the kids for digging holes in the beach sand we ALL better stay away from that park!!

Thanks for all the info, just dont tell the ring professional they were at 12". The professional knows all so according to him this story is just made up bull crap. Nice job on the finds and thanks again for info. Good Luck Hunting!!

Heck it was dusk at the edge near the dike and this fellow is neat. One wonders how many oldies we have missed....yep got a 15-16 inch deep walking half with my CZ years ago, but that was in a drained lake and would never have dug on land..Been a CZ guy since 92 but the Explorer sure gives a lot of info, grabs them in iron infested areas and surely more silver per dig with all the info gotten topside...

I have had a single coin down to 8 inches with the explorer 2, i tend to go for the clear cut sigals that give good target id which on the explorer 2 will id coins down to 8 inches maybe a bit more. I think 12 inches may be possible but one would have to dig lots of trash too as i dont think it will id a coin at 12 inches.

It might not reach 12 inches in your soil or mine. But, everyone soil and conditions aren't the same. For the most part the Explorer is in the the top 5 for depth at most (but not all) sites.

-Bill