Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The day we killed Fred.........

JB(MS)

I have a cousin, same age as me and actually a double cousin as our fathers were brothers and our mothers were sisters, who was very acrobatic when he was a kid. His name is Fred and although he eventually grew to be near 6 feet tall and well over 200 pounds he was short, small and very limber until he was 12 or 13. By the time he was 8 years old he had learned to walk on his hands (for as long as he wanted), do running flips and land on his feet like the gymnist do, and a lot other difficult physical stunts. Fred had a brother, Vernon, who was three years older than Fred and I who was just the opposite. He was very tall and not at all athletic but Fred would sometimes enlist him in some particular stunt he was trying to do.

Fred only lived about 75 yards from me so we were always together doing something, Vernon had friends his age but sometimes Fred would come up with some new gymnastic trick he wanted to try and would get Vernon to help. One day when we were 10 years old, Vernon was almost 14, Fred had me trying to help him do a stunt but I wasn't strong enough alone so he got Vernon to help.

The front porch on their house was high, at least 5 feet on the west end, and he wanted to try what turned out to be a dangerous stunt. He had Vernon and I lay on our backs at the edge of highest part of the porch, Vernon held on to one of the porch posts and we put out feet as close together as we could and drew our legs up. Fred then climbed on our feet and had us see how far we could throw him with our legs. On the count of three we shoved as hard as we could and Fred went about nine feet or so from the ground and five-six feet out from the porch. That was good enough Fred said. He was gonna let us throw him with our legs and he was gonna do a backflip and land on his feet. We practiced the throw a couple more times to get the angle Fred wanted and he was ready to go.

He got on our feet, counted three and with loud grunts we launched him skyward. Fred started his backflip but we had thrown him almost straight up, Fred realized what had happened and tried to stop the flip but it was too late and he landed on his head. He crumpled in a heap and just lay there. Vernon turned him over, his eyes were open but rolled back until just the whites were showing. Vernon said, "We've killed him." I agreed, that's exactly what seemed to have happened. By all indications Fred was a goner, he didn't appear to be breathing and was limber as the proverbial dishrag. Fred's sister, Annette, who was eight, came over and looked at him and also agreed, Fred was dead.

Their parents were gone so it was up to us to do whatever needed doing, problem was we didn't have a clue as to what needed to be done. We discussed several possibilities but Vernon finally said we would put him in his bed and maybe our parents wouldn't find out what had happened. Vernon and I carried Fred in, Annette turned the covers down on the bed and we put him in it. We laid him out on his back with his feet together, Vernon crossed his hands on his chest and pulled the covers up to just above his waist. We had done what we could, but there was serious playing to be done so we went back outside to play and quickly forgot that Fred was dead.

Maybe five minutes later their father, Boyd, came home. He was a mean man who whipped his kids unmercifully, especially Vernon. He had a newspaper and sat down in the living room, to read it. We were still playing by the porch when we heard a strange sound, something about halfway between a groan and a scream. Boyd said, "WHAT!! WHAT!! What's that?" It was quiet for a minute and then the same groan/scream combination. It was Fred coming back from the dead!

We heard Boyd get up and the chair he was sitting fall over, he slammed the door to the bedroom open and started cussing. Vernon yelled, "Oh Sh!t, let's get outta here." He and I hit the field behind the house running, Annette crawled under the house. Boyd came out of the house screaming for Vernon and I did a left turn and headed for home.

Fred was ok, he had a big knot on his head and a sore neck for a few days. Vernon hid out in the field until his parents went to bed but got his butt beat the next morning. Annette crawled out from under the house after an hour or so, shed a few tears and blamed everything on Vernon and I so she didn't get whipped. I stayed away for over a week before I got brave enough to go back to their house but nothing was ever said to me.

It wasn't really anything to get terribly excited about, just another typical day in the lives of backwoods country kids, but all of us were very fortunate that Fred wasn't hurt badly.

postscript: By the way, Fred and I married sisters. Still trying to figure out what kin our kids are:).

Did Fred remember what happened? Did he blame it on you two? He should have joined the circus. He could have been the "human cannonball" :lol:

Very entertaining!

Lil Brother:)

I can just imagine you hauling butt for home when Boyd yelled at you boys. It seems that children can get into so much mischief, many times just by accident. I feel sure that it was not funny at the time that you thought that Fred was dead, but now years later you can laugh about it. I think that we were so lucky to have grown up in the time period that we did...children now days do not know what it is like to do some of the things that we did. Thanks for posting this story, it was enjoyable reading. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

if you told your dad or not:lol:,since boyd was his brother,hope vernon recovered,sounds like fred did.you've reminded me of a story,will try and post it in a day or two.

n/t

Actually, that is pretty much all I remember since I was out for a couple of hours. Boy, i can relate to this story!! :)

good one

Thanks for the memories JB

Calm seas, fair winds

M

in the gravel pit, and others would pretend to shoot us and we would free fall from that "mountain" (or so it was at the time to us) and land in a pile of leaves and pine needles?? I do. And best I can recall, none of us ever suffered any broken bones! ILY :)

around all bruised and cut from some kind of shananigan we pulled, knowing full well if our parents saw our injuries, we were sure to get into trouble. Luckily, we all survived to what we now refer to adulthood. I'd take my childhood any day!

Think of some more stories, JB! :)

I must have moved it up and thought I had read it. I do that some times.

Man Fred sounds like a hell of a man and quite a kid. I just never had that kind of guts myself.

You had me laughing my butt off. Thought you had kilt Fred, put the body in the bed and then go do some playing!! :D:D: I love it

Thanks JB. As usual, a fine story:super::super:

n/t

We were a tads backwards in those days:) but they were good days. I've been working 12 hours a day and haven't had the time or energy to check the forums much, got a day off today but back on 12 hours tomorrow. Too old for that crud:(. Thanks to all of you for the good words and for putting up with my countryfied stories.

n/t

n/t