Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The day I almost delivered a baby..............

Paul (AR)

There are 7 of us First Responders with the Volunteer Fire Department where I live. We are trained in basic first-aid and CPR. Now a First Responder is just what the title means, we are the first ones called out for traffic accidents or for medical attention until the Paramedics get there. Most of the time, we just comfort the person until help arrives.
One afternoon I just got off work and was almost home, I had the fire department radio on and was half heartily listening to various police and paramedic calls, mostly thinking what I was going to do about supper, then I heard it, my fire department tones going off followed by "Woman having a baby" and address. First thing came to my mind was.... a complete blank. Then my training took over and I grabbed the mike and reported I was in route, I was thinking I know baby CPR but no where did they teach us how to deliver a baby. I kept listening for someone else to say they were responding also, but no such luck, I'm on my own. All kinds of scenarios kept going through my mind, all were bad, then I was there. I pulled into the front yard and jumped out of my truck and the first thing I see is a little old lady at the front door pointing into the house and saying "She's in here, she's in here". I'm thinking what did I get myself into as I walked up to the front door and into the house. The room was dark and it took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and I could make out an unmade bed in the center of the room with no one in it, I'm thinking good, I look to the right and see a young woman sitting in a wooden chair wearing a loose fitting white blouse and tight blue jeans with the top button undone, another plus, she's not having the baby yet and I got plenty of time. I tell her that I'm from the fire department and what seams to be the problem. She says the baby is pushing down hard and she is having sharp pains down below. I'm thinking OOOOH Boy, she's having the baby, maybe not if her water hasn't broke yet, so I ask her if her water has broken, she says she has been leaking a couple of days now. I'm thinking OOOOH Boy, she's having the baby, maybe not if this is her first baby, aren't first babies usually late? I ask her if this is her first baby, she says no, this is her fourth baby. I'm thinking OOOH Boy, she's having the baby, what am I going to do, then I hear it, the sweet sound of a siren approaching. About that time I look out the window and see the paramedic truck pull up and two female paramedics get out. I've never felt so relieved and said a short thank you prayer to the Lord. The paramedics didn't mess around, they loaded her up and took off to the hospital while I walked back to my truck with shaking legs.

I would have been scared to death as well.Glad you could join us and thanks for a interesting story!

of the black woman on "Gone With The Wind" saying "I don't know nothin' about birthin' no babies Ms. Scarlett"! :lol: At least you were there just in case! :)

"Sorry Mr. Dispatcher.......your signal's breaking up.":lol: I'd have been shaking too but I'm betting you would've surprised yourself. Great read and welcome aboard......only good folk here !:)

poor girls.reminds me of the time my sister-in-law and my mom went shopping and left my nephew with my granddad and me.they hadn't no more and pulled out of the driveway and my nephew went to screaming bloody murder and squallin'.
i was 17 and my granddad was over 80,i picked up my nephew because his face was beet red,i thought he was choking and was going to hold him by his feet and pat him on the back.my granddad said hand him to me and he rocked him a bit and he settled down,i felt like you did when the ambulance arrived:).

I've been in those shoes too. We got rolled out to about the same report except it was to a vehicle on the interstate. Seems nature was driving faster than dad was to the hospital. We didn't have our own ambulance then and by the time it got there from 18 miles away, there was a new baby girl in the back seat with mom! You'd have done alright, the training kicks in and you do what is necessary. It's only after that you shake your head and wonder "Now how in the heck did I do that?"

Thanks for sharing your near birth expierence!

Dave

been willing to do my part in the baby thing but them womens ought to do the rest their ownself :D Thanks for the post, Paul!!

Good to have you visiting:thumbup:

the nervous side, huh? I was on our volunteer dept for a couple of years. I became an EMT, but never got the chance to use it much. It seems as though the other more experienced EMTs always got to do the "good stuff."

I always thought that the new ones should have been pushed to the front of the line supervised by a more experienced EMT.

I still get to use a lot of my skills everyday though. I work for a couple of GI doctors.

My career with the fire dept didnt last much longer after I became certified. Use it or lose it. I didnt want to lose it so I went to work for one of the local hospitals soon after.

Thanks for the story.

Lil Brother