Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Day Before Yesterday

Royal

Mary and I went hiking out at Wakley Lake Foot Trail area. It is a US Forest Service area that is a protected nesting area for Loons, Eagle and Osprey. There are miles of foot trails out there and it has marsh lands and high ground. I have hiked it in the winter but Mary had never been there.

It was a beautiful day and we set out at a decient clip. The problem was the deer flys and the gnats. They like to have drove us nuts. We had spray with us but we had to constantly reapply it as we would sweat it off.

The trail we took was no very well marked or used and after an hour or so it was hard to follow. Frankly we got lost. I knew generally where we were, at least I kept the general direction of the lake in mind but we sure the hell were not on the trail we had started out on, at least I didn't think so.

Mary was a good sport but the flys were getting to her. Nothing we could do about it but keep going. We came to a fork and she thought we should turn left and I figured the lake was off to our right. She argued and I said, "You lead the way" Which she did. I knew that if we kept going the way she wanted we would be miles from the scooter by dark but screw it, I just grinned and followed. Finally she said, "Do you think this is the right way?" I said, "Nope" She asked what way I thought, like I had not told her ten minutes ago :D. I told her the way I said in the first place.

Since she had not a clue she reluctantly agreed to follow me. In another half hour I found the main trail and we followed it out. I don't have a clue how far we had gone but I am going back next week and do it again with my GPS. I was totaly exhausted when we finally got back to the scooter.

It was a great day and I took these three panoramas at the lake. We could hear the Loons a calling but didn't seen them. Beautiful area:clap:

These are Panoramas so be sure to scroll them to see the whole thing...

[attachment 97406 Wakley-Lake-1-web.jpg]

[attachment 97407 Wakley-Lake-2-web.jpg]

[attachment 97408 Wakley-Lake-3-web.jpg]

I always seem to be crowding darkness whenever I get the fuzzies about where I am exactly.

Never fails. Maybe one day I will borrow Lil' Brother's GPS and get to know it better. So, how does Mary like the ample slice of "humble" pie she's eatin' now? :rofl:

aj

Beautiful spot for sure. Will that get choked with weeds out in the middle later in the year?

Those panorama shots are great.....

Geo

see a fishing boat in the far right of one of the pictures. The boats or canoes have to be carried back to the lake as there are no roads to it.

I saw three that were fishing out of those tubes the day we were there and they said they had done good. It is a catch and release lake because of the loons but lots of fun

They look magnificent.. Good for fishing and kayaking too I will bet!!

Fair winds

Mikie

I would love to do some fishing in that lake. I suspect that this area would be great for taking some wildlife pictures too! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

this one was man made, they damed up a stream and made the area for wildlife. There are deer, bear, eagle, loon, fox, coyote, osprey, beaver, etc all in the area.

It is great hiking country. Two of the states largest lakes are close to us, Houghton Lake and Higgins Lake. Higgins lake is very clear and very deep for Michigan.

a nice easy paddle around them might take an hour but if a person is fishing or taking pictures they can spend a full day and keep interested. This lake is not very deep. I doubt it is over 12 ft deep but that is plenty for wildlife.

took a series of pictures, going from left to right and stitched them together. Works out pretty good

unless they got real special talents that make up for it, like umm.....cooking :devil:
Mighty nice panorama Royal:thumbup:

n/t

n/t

here is what these pictures say to me:

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep. But I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep --I stretch out my arms and fly with the eagles -I hunt with the bear-- I run with the deer-- I swim with the fish and yet I still am a man. I sing with the wind I plant the soil--I watch the flame --I listen to the brook and yet I still am a man. When I will rest, My bones will lay on the soil, my flesh will flow with the river, my spirt will fly with the wind and yet I am still just a man!

If you're the butch I think you are, I want to tell you that I still remember and cherish the stories of yours that I read when I first joined this forum. Truly classics they were and still are. Don't want to impose on you but if you still have them stored in your computer somewhere, would it be possible to get a re-post ?.........the one about your days when you owned that bar and the young lady that you met during that time. Oh yeah.....the cat too ! Just a request but I understand if you no longer have them. I know Royal and the others are going to be pleased as punch to see you here again, if only briefly. Personally, and most certainly unanimous, I hope we get to see one or two more stories from you. You're one heckuva writer. Hope all's well with you and that's a beautiful post you just made above mine here. :)

...would like to hear another of your stories.

C'mon. Talk to us. Still got the Artic Cat? Let us know how you're doin'. We miss ya.

aj