Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The cruise to Western Blue Cut Part III

bdahunter

We ghosted back to Mangrove Bay in the light airs, we were in no hurry and Captain Keith was content to take his time as we relaxed and enjoyed the view. The sea was dappled and the rays of the setting sun bounced off the rippled water. We were about half way home, weaving through the coral heads and enjoying our dark'n stormies (black bermuda rum with ginger beer) when there was a clunk, then a Bang and finally a CRASH and we lurched to a dead stop. We had landed neatly atop a huge coral head, 2 miles off shore.
[attachment 59737 P9240062.JPG]

Captain Keith and Beth checked below for leaks and there were none to be found but the rudder had sheared off at the waterline. We all moved to the back of the trimaran and Captain Keith was eventually able to pull us off the reef using the engine. Free from the grip of the coral we now had to find a way to work our way back through the maze of coral heads between us and landfall. Hartley came up with an idea! Three of us sat on each outer pontoon and with 'Admiral' Hartley calling out directions we alternated putting our legs in the water or holding them out on port and starboard. This gave us enough directional control to slowly steer a passage through the reefs under power. By the time we cleared the main reef we were down to two people rudders per side as some of the Bermudians tired of the new game.
[attachment 59739 P9240003.JPG]

At this point I asked Captain Keith if he had any line aboard and of course he did. I dove overboard and together we were able to lash the rudder back together. (Some days I thank my lucky stars for my boyscout training)
[attachment 59738 P9240071.JPG]

This jury rigged arrangement got us to the main channel but the steering wasn't very prompt and Captain Keith was a little edgy about coming through the main channel with limited steering. As luck would have it, Captain Keith's Mate 'Crank' happened along and gave us a tow into Mangrove Bay.
[attachment 59740 P9240072.JPG]

Our little trip had turned into a small adventure. We enjoyed the rest of the sail home and a safe anchorage at Mangrove Bay.
[attachment 59741 P9240066.JPG]

Captain Keith is also a shipwright, so he had the rudder repaired and reinstalled by the time his regular charter schedule started again on Monday. No real harm done.:thumbup:
Thanks for coming along on our little adventure, we hope you enjoyed the ride.

thinks so! (the kiss) And, you all got a pretty good work out to boot! Enjoyed your series very much. Hope there is much more where this came from! Is that Captain Keith with the blue hat on in the last photo? :)

His wife Anna is Captain when they're under power, because she's the mechanic. She can't read the wind but she can make a diesel purr like a kitten or growl like a pit bull.:thumbup:
It really is a little slice of Heaven though, isn't it?

Enjoy your trip to the beach in Florida,

Eric

Takes me back a few years and I had a ball..

Many thanks

Fair winds, calm seas

Mikie

n/t

they sure add to a story when you tell it later. It is a PITA when it happens but sure adds to the memory.

I love the pictures!

that water and sea life is incredible! Thanks for taking the time to put together such a fine pictorial and story.

I'd like to do something like that...only with a hooka or tanks. Thanks, so much, for sharing the event. I know you all had a blast.

aj

past due holding that beach chair down! We will be staying in our RV with the ocean right outside our front windows. I am still a bit leary of this place last year because of the little fifteen year old girl who got her leg taken off by a shark right in front of our beach. She never had a chance. I don't think you were on the forum back then, but it is the most awful thing I ever experienced. It was a very unfortunate turn of events, and I will never forget it! I will NEVER be out on a boogey board or float again, this is for certain! :(

If you swim in the ocean you could get bitten by a shark. If you cross the street you could get hit by a bus. Keep your eyes open and your wits about you and you'll be fine. It would be a shame to visit the beach and Florida but only be able to look at the water, not swim in it. Avoid active feeding times (dusk to dawn) and you'll be fine. Your odds of being bitten by a shark are less than the odds of being struck by lightning. I'm assuming that you haven't been struck by lightning so you'll be fine.
Go out there and live your life to the fullest. You get one shot at this life so make the most of it.:thumbup:

Cheers,

Eric

You are much braver than I am:thumbup:

what I understand, the two girls were way way out, past the second sand bar. Betweem the first sand bar and the second, there is a deep channel. They were still headed out even further where they had NO business going to begin with. This deep channel is where the sharks will swim up and down. You can actually see them some days, from a window way up in a condo! Last year, they were out more than usual, according to the patrol guys!

I ALWAYS enjoy the ocean, and all it has to give, but I will be a bit more cautious! Thanks, Eric! :)

My mistake Sunny. Your previous post suggested that you weren't going back in the water after witnessing the shark attack.
I have had lightning strike me so even a shark attack is a possibility. Like you, I don't tempt fate either. No point in standing under the tallest tree during a thunderstorm or swimming in shark infested waters with open wounds for that matter.:wacko:

Cheers,

Eric

n/t

to stop this most awful thing I have ever done in my life. BUT........................I do have a plan, and I'm not tellin'! :biggrin:

I would not say anything to upset my little buddy:rofl: