Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The biggest fish I ever sort of caught....

Dan-MO

My wife's nephew Stanley visited us this weekend.He has joined the army and completed basic training and will soon be headed somewhere in the Middle East.....please remember him in your thoughts and prayers.He has grown up to be a find well mannered young man-but as a young boy he was a holy terror.....

Our whole family used to get together about every weekend at one of the large lakes in Southern MO. for a weekend of camping and fishing.Sometimes we would camp all weekend and sometimes we would just make a day trip-arriving early in the morning and coming home at dark.

One weekend we were all fishing side by side along the sandy shore of Clearwater lake. There must have been 6 or 8 of us with our lines cast out in the water sitting in lawn chairs waiting for the fish to bite.Right beside me was Stanley who was about 6 or 7 years old at the time and the proud owner of a new "Snoopy" Zebco 202 rod and reel.Stanley was spending about half his time throwing rocks into the area we were fishing in and the other half of his time getting his line tangled up with mine.....

Finally he got bored and threw his fishing pole down on the ground with his baited (by me) line cast out into the water.I warned him several times that he might lose his rod and reel this way if a big fish grabbed his bait as the area we were fishing dropped off quickly into very deep water.I think he responded to my advise by sticking his tongue out at me and throwing more rocks if I remember right.....

Just a few minutes later I heard him let out a scream so loud I thought he had been snake bit!When I jumped up and looked toward him he was a screaming and squalling and pointing toward the water where his Snoopy fishing outfit was streaking across the shallow water before disappearing into the murky depths....

Now Stanley was really throwing a fit-but I really wasn't paying him much attention because I had just got a bite and had a fish on...and a monster from the feel of it!

I was a running up and down the bank playing the fish, the drag on my reel was screaming as the fish took out more and more line-to the point I thought my reel would be stripped of line.I would gain a little ground and the fish would make another run-all the while hugging the bottom in the deep water.After 10 minutes or so of this the fish began to tire and I began to gain some good ground on him.As I worked him closer and closer suddenly I could see something flashing in the shallow water and it wasn't a fish......It was a Snoopy fishing outfit! My line was tangled around it and the fish was still a good ways out on the end of the line of the Snoopy!

When I got it close enough I reached down and grabbed the Snoopy fishing pole and tossed mine up on the bank.The lines were tangled so badly that I couldn't even turn the reel handle on the little Zebco 202 so I just began walking away from the bank dragging the now worn out fish in.....turned out to be a grass carp that weighed nearly 50 pounds on tackle box scales.

Now you would have thought little Stanley would have been one happy little boy to get his Snoopy back....Instead he went into another screaming fit accusing me of stealing his fish!His dad had had enough by this time and promptly swatted him a few times on the backside and took him back to camp.Stanley's fishing was over for the day....I released the carp and cut about half the line away before I could get the lines untangled.

This weekend as the young soldier visited us he reminded me about this little incident.I had nearly forgotten about it.He told me he still had that little Snoopy fishing outfit and hoped to be able to give it to his own child someday and tell them the story behind it.I hope and pray the he does.

Give him a handshake for me. Tell him thanks for his service and sacrifice. We'll be praying for his safe and speedy return. We heard from our son, who's getting his gear together for an October return home!

Dave

And, like Dave says, tell him that he is a man to be respected and honoured. Thank him , from this humble, Canuck for his sacrifice and service.

Calm seas

Mikie

one in particuller was a young boy around his age,I caught him at weddings sneaking drinks to any dick,tom or harry that was evn near the wedding hall ,and half were just punks out for a easy drink. oj

i wish him well in the service,i think my nephew is back for good from iraq.those 202's didn't last long,at least not mine,when i was a kid i won one in an egg tossing contest,both myself and a friend.

of the low priced reels i always had good luck with johnsons,you didn't have as much trouble getting the drag right it seemed.

at night. We had a friend that let us fish from his property on a canal. We were kids and would just cut a forked stick and use it to prop our rod on. Back then all we could usually afford was a casting rod with a five dollar Shakspear Reel on it. Five bucks was a lot of money though.

We would glop on a big crawler to the hook, with a bell sinker and cast it out, letting it settle to the bottom. Then we would clip a bell to the rod tip and wait for it to signal a bullhead.

The problem was there were a lot of carp in the area too. We had to tend the rod because if a big old carp took the bait and we were not there to grab the rod it was gone rod! We would NEVER get it back. I never lost one but most of my buddys lost one at one time or another.

Years later, maybe fifteen or so, I was bass fishing that canal and I will be darned if I did not snag one of those old rods. Junk by that time but it sure brought back some childhood memories, just as your post did.

Thanks buddy:thumbup:

It not only was funny, but also reminds me of how fast our young ones are growing up....right before our eyes. Just last weekend Carol and I were talking about some of the kids at The Witness. We dont see them for 8 months and when they come back, the boys voices are getting deeper and theyve grown a foot!

We've watched some of the hellions turn into great young men. It so much reminds us that we should not take anything for granted and that nothing is guaranteed in this short life.

Stanley will be in my prayers.

Lil Brother

That's a comical story Dan. It's a wonderful thing when they grow up to be fine young men. My hat's off to him. Give him the best from your forum buddies and tell him he will remain in our prayers for his safe return. :thumbup:

how these obnoxious little people turn out to be amazing adults? This was a really cute story Dan, and I can tell just by getting to know you thru this forum that you are someone everyone loves to be around! Thanks for sharing this with us, and God Bless Stanley! :)

I'm sure you both will remember it for a long, long time.

You just can't have too many stories like that one. It's the stuff that childhoods are really made of.

Thanks for sharing that one! It made me laugh!!!

aj