Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Bermuda Gunpowder Plot

bdahunter

The Bermuda Gunpowder Plot

[attachment 92690 stamps12.jpg]
COMMEMORATIVE STAMP

In the spring of 1775, General George Washington became aware of a dire situation for the Revolutionary Army surrounding Boston which kept the British forces bottled up. The Revolutionary Army was desperately low on gunpowder. General Washington had hoped to secure 400 barrels of gunpowder from the Massachusetts Citizens Safety Council but when he arrived to replenish his store of gunpowder he found that the gunpowder had already been shipped to his Army the previous winter, there was no gunpowder for his Army; Washington was struck dumbfounded for a half an hour. General Washington

Wonderful history lesson Eric... someday [sigh] I will get out your way... Problem is, I would probably not leave. :):

calm seas, fair winds

Mikie

I think that it is fantastic that you have found parts of his burnt boat. I enjoyed this most interesting story...thanks for posting it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

It puts meaning in what you find over there...especially the old sloop fittings. May Davy's locker be opened to ya, mate!

aj

Mikie said:
Wonderful history lesson Eric... someday [sigh] I will get out your way... Problem is, I would probably not leave. :):

calm seas, fair winds

Mikie
The verdict is still out on who actually took the Tucker Cross. Many on the island believe that Teddy himself reclaimed it surreptitiously but there is no proof. The Tucker's have a prestigious but somewhat notorious reputation in Bermuda but what would you expect on an island that has a long history of piracy and privateering.(you tell the difference:biggrin:)
The story goes that when Teddy first hit the Motherlode by finding the spanish treasure ship, the government tried to sieze the treasure for a pittance in compensation at a meeting they held with Teddy at Government House. Teddy was all smiles at the government officials who were trying to pirate a pirate like himself. At the end of the meeting during which Teddy had only listened but said nothing, Teddy Tucker got up from his chair and said "Fine, do what you have to do." Teddy walked from Government House to the Bank of Bermuda where he had most of the treasure stashed in a safety deposit box. He put all of the loot into a canvas deposit bag and strolled down to his boat at All Bouys Point and sailed home to Somerset.(Teddy can't drive a car but gets everywhere by boat instead) That evening Teddy sailed out to an underwater cave he knew about in the reef and dove down to the cave with the loot, which he carefully stashed there.
The next day the Government came to sieze the treasure but it was gone and Teddy couldn't seem to remember where he had put the darn thing.:biteme:
The Government had to get much more reasonable in its' negotiations with Teddy for the treasure before his memory came back to him.:thumbup:
The Tucker Cross disappeared years later when it was discovered that a replica had be slipped into it's place at the museum.
Whether Teddy took the Cross or not is still a matter of opinion but one things for sure - Teddy Ain't Sayin' Nuthin'!

[attachment 92762 bigcross.jpg]
The Tucker Cross

Cheers,

BDA:cool:
(The Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute which Teddy founded has an exhibit where the cross disappears before you eyes and a paint your own cross activity set for the kiddies, you've got to love the guy's sense of humour)

I would think living there would be any water hunting detector persons dream. I often wonder what was in the waters down by the old fort there or on the barrier reefs where they might of snagged. Seems like I read something while there that the natives used to arrange the lights so they would run aground then pick them clean....

I had problems there back in the 70's at the Rum swizzle Shop.... had trouble leaving...... Sure a beautiful place. That last picture of the little cove where you were detecting still brings back nice memories....

Geo

George-CT said:
I would think living there would be any water hunting detector persons dream. I often wonder what was in the waters down by the old fort there or on the barrier reefs where they might of snagged. Seems like I read something while there that the natives used to arrange the lights so they would run aground then pick them clean....

I had problems there back in the 70's at the Rum swizzle Shop.... had trouble leaving...... Sure a beautiful place. That last picture of the little cove where you were detecting still brings back nice memories....

Geo

Your memory is correct, George. Back in the day, the locals would douse the light at the lighthouse and light a bon fire at Wreck Hill which is the same elevation as Gibb's Hill lighthouse. The ships would make the turn towards the safe passage into the harbour 3 miles too soon and wind up on the reef at Hogfish Cut, the wreckers (lead by the Tuckers I might add) would sail out in Bermuda fitted dinghies and 'rescue' the passengers and crew 'for a price'. By the time dawn broke the ship would be stripped of anything of value by the wreckers who would work all night 'salvaging' the vessel. Plenty of old wrecks off of Wreck Hill as a result.
Did you mean The Swizzle Inn out by the causeway? Their motto is 'Swizzle Inn - Swagger Out'.

Come back to visit soon, Mate.

BDA:cool:

What a huge difference your little island made to our country!! I had never hear of this instance in our history. Thanks for posting it:thumbup: