Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Beatle's Up In Smoke

The Kenney family lived across the road from us on Charl Street. Mike and Pat, the two oldest boys hung around with my two older brothers and myself. Leonard Parent was a few years older than the rest of us and was a prolific smoker, even at the age of fourteen. He blew the best "smoke rings" I've ever witnessed.
The Kenney home was unique to where we lived. They had a garage,.... the only home with one on the block, I believe. And it was here where we manufactured our electric guitars of cardboard, complete with elastics for strings. Everybody wanted to be like the Beatles and our neighborhood crew was no exception. Many a Beatle song was performed in that garage and Leonard, being the oldest and the only kid around with Beatle boots, generally got his say on which Beatle he wanted to be. He was Paul, more often than not, even though it was John, George and Ringo that smoked like he did. The rest of us made our own Beatle boots by simply placing childrens "blocks" in the heals of our socks. If your socks happened to be the right color, they didn't look all that bad. They "felt" like we were wearing Beatle boots anyways.
It was the beginning of summer vacation and we hurriedly gulped our suppers down. The garage was waiting for us and it was a race to see who was going to get there first. Protocol dictated that it was first come, first served. Arriving late meant waiting agonizingly for your turn to be your favorite......or if impatience got the best of you, you banged the cardboard box and settled for being Ringo. Problem was that Ringo rarely sang, and we ALL wanted to be the singer. The evening progressed as usual and I remember watching Leonard, the "almost" a man belting out a song with a lit cigarette hanging from his mouth. Boy o' boy, that was impressive !! After performing to his satisfaction, my brother Glenn and I took the stage. Glenn's two years my senior, which would've made him ten at the time. He was chatting with Leaonard when I saw a cigarette being handed over to him. He was taking the big step ! He was going for the gusto ! He had better not get caught I remember thinking. Puffing on his smoke with bravado, I somehow felt not quite as authentic. I summoned up the courage to ask for a couple of puffs myself. I figured if he could, why not me. Well, within a few minutes, we had smoked our first cigarette. We were growing up and seemed more like the Beatles by the minute. And then we heard that dreaded call.....Greg, Glenn and Robbie.....time to come home now from my father on the porch. We hurriedly placed our "guitars" in safe keeping for the next day and took the all too short walk home. As we walked past our father on the porch, he stopped my brother Glenn and myself. Not being a smoker himself, he noticed the all too familiar smell of smoke on us. Have you two been smoking as he looked into our eyes for the truth ? Are we going to be in trouble if we were was my brothers inquiry ? Of course not came the reply. How many "puffs" did you have ? Now I'm observing my dad, even at this young age and something wasn't quite right here. My brother Glenn, feeling confident answered honestly and said "about seven or eight". My dad then looked at me and I answered straight faced........I only had one !:biggrin: Wait right here........I'll be right back were the words from my father. My brother Glenn was calling me a liar but I was sticking to my story. Something was going to give here and we both knew it now. Sure enough, my father returns with a twitch in his hand. Seven cracks on the backside for Glenn......and one for me. :lol: Needless to say, my brother was a bit pizzed at me for a day or two but it was he that first thought of smoking in the first place.:shrug: Beatle's or no Beatle's. The summer passed as usual and we spent all our nickels that season on packs of Beatle cards. Baseball cards took second priority that year and I've often wished that we were still in possession of those now collectible items. But even if we were, nothing could replace those memories of yesteryear.........Yesterday....all my troubles seemed so far away................:cheers:

you guys came late, we were Buddy Holly and Ritchie Valens wannabees:biggrin:
Good remembering Rob, enjoyed it cause it reminded me of a few times...:thumbup::thumbup:

It had snowed,and my brother and i were 15 or 16 at the time. We were shoveling driveways for money that night. Remember hurrying home,finishing a driveway,about two streets away. We ran all the way,we didn't want to miss them! Still know exactly what driveway it was,on the corner of Kernwood Ave.! Who ever thought they would make it that big,and be a part of our lives forever. Just last week,i bought Vol 1 of the best of the Beatles. Great stuff! Listening to one of the Cd's today, i caught the phrase, "I'll love you till the cows come home!" Funny how you catch this stuff after over forty years of listening to it. Ahhh, a few moments of youth returns.... :D :D

And their hair. We thought THAT was long.:lol: Ed Sullivan was a Sunday night tradition in our home on the ole' black and white with rabbit ears. Nobody minded getting up to change the channels either. Man......have we gotten spoiled.:)

I remember how the fab 4 changed our very way of life and saving my nickels to buy their 45 records.Heck I even wanted to grow my hair like them -but that was not going to happen as long as I lived in my dads house! Heck I still like their music!

The first time I got caught smoking my dad graciously bought me a pack of unfiltered Camels and insisted that I smoke a couple of them while he watched.After about 1/2 of one I was green and begging to stop.Kept me from smoking for a while too but sadly or foolishly I started as a teenager and smoked for 30 years-but never another Camel!

So you all got caught smoking! :rofl: Those were the good days, where we could dream about things and enjoy life. This was a good story about the time in our lives that we liked the Beatles and Elvis. Thanks for posting this most enjoyable story, I liked it. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Watching television in the late 50s, I think. He was smoking and I tought it looked cool, and i told him so. So, he gave me one. He lit it and I took a puff; I said that this was not so bad. Then the clincher dropped. He said that you have to inhale....... get the smoke right down into the lungs.

Well, after I tried that and spent the next 15 minutes heaving in the bathroom, I decided that cigarettes were just not for me!!! :lol:

calm seas

Mikie

i actually got a pair of beatle boots,it was 66 or 67,i can't remember,i begged my mother for a good while to get me some.i wore sears circle S jeans back then and they were wore high water style,i'd never really paid to much attention to myself when i looked in the mirror but when i got those beatle boots i did.

well i was getting a little chunky in the 4th grade and when i saw myself in those skinny beatle boots and those high water britches i kind of soured on them.i went back to wearing my lace up work boots with the military lace like everyone else.i never hardly put a scuff on those beatle boots.be carefull what you wish for:biggrin:.

going to say he made you smoke that many cigarettes! Dang those switches hurt!!

When I was in the sixth grade, me and three other girls dressed up like the Beatles for our talent show at school. I was the first person to buy the Beatles first album. We used it for the talent show, and I forgot to get it that day. When I went back the next day, it had mysteriously disappeared. I was so sad, because I had saved all my money for this for a long time, waiting for it to come out! Back then, that was a lot for a an eleven year old to save!

Anyway, we won first place! Those days were great! Wish we had photos of them. Developing film was too expensive also!

Blocks in your socks? Now that pretty inventive!!

Loved the story.........it was really funny! :)

n/t

I remember sneaking around and smoking. We didn't have any money so we would go up to the parking lot of the Evergreen Dairy, just up the hill from our house and pick up butts.

We would then go to the Colters sawmill, only a block away and sneak back in a hidie hole to smoke. Angus and Louie Coulter were my best friends back then. Old Man Colter was the meanest man I ever met, to this day. I once saw him chase Louie out of the house with a gun and the old bastud was shooting at him! Louie was quite a runner for a short runt for sure.

Old Man Coulter caught us a smoking out there and was livid. It is like smoking in a dang barn! It just ain't done! He beat the crap out of his two boys and I stayed away for months.

One of my earliest memories is of early morning hearing old man Coulter starting up the mill and a sawing logs.

A different life

Your story made me really smile. Our gang never did the Beatles thang, but there was plenty of other stuff to get in trouble over.

Thanks for sharing this little gem. It made feel good, reading of the innocense of youth being defiled by the 'wiles of the devil.' :lol:

aj

it not only brings back the memories of my first cigarette, but also of the Beatles Fan Club poster that I once had. I thought that by now they would be worth some money, but I found one on Ebay for something like $18.

Lil Brother