Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Bear that made a fatal mistake!..................

Wayne in BC

`Curiously, the hunger pangs could not be satisfied with some fish, onions, and bannock. Not after two days of hard work with the same fare every meal!

August 26/85
I took two of my guides for a week long trip to the hunting camp high in the Alberta Rockies to prepare the site for my clients starting Sept/1st. Lots of work to do, cutting a couple cords of deadfall for firewood. Setting up 4 wall tents in the main camp, as well as preparing the "latrine":biggrin: Also 3 "Spike camps" to set up, each one several hours by horse from the main camp.
On this first trip to these camps we would walk most of the time and like all good cowboys we purely hated leading a perfectly good horse!:shrug: but the trails would grow in with brush along with the constant windfalls of larger trees every summer, i never could get a horse to set still when i used a chainsaw! Sooooo...... one riding and leading horses, the other two sawing and chopping, long back breaking work in high thinner air!(7000 ft and up)

The first day we covered the 120 miles from my home by noon and unloaded our 5 horses (2 extra pack horses) the ride in from the trucks to base camp took about 3 hours, and by 4 pm we were unloaded with the horses grained and hobbled in the 20 acre meadow next to camp. With poles already there we managed to set up three 12x14 tents and the 14x16 kitchen/loafing tent before we played out at dusk. Being tired we did not bother to cook, quaffing a few "brown pops" and ate some weiners+beans, (always liking to compete with the horses:blush:) before turning in. Tomorrow we would head out at dawn to cut trails and prepare a couple spike camps with firewood, it would be a long tough day.

I woke an hour before daylight to the warm and welcome smell of coffee and bacon, and looked up to see "Tom" my young and excellent guide, cooking on the coleman stoves, yep both of them, one for the oversize pan with bacon and eggs, the other for coffee and hotcakes! He sure had a way of endearing himself that young fella did! Gary, my second guide was stirring and drooling also:biggrin: We soon had the gear rounded up, rattled the "oat bucket" (actually barley/oats/molasses) for the horses, and by daylight were a mile up the west trail and cutting willows in the creek valley. It was necessary to use these same trails as there was too many areas that were impassable to horses on the steep sides of the valley.

There was bear sign everywhere and the horses blew and snorted regularily, they just hate the smell of a bear. We saw 3 different black bears on the hillsides scrounging roots and berries in the first couple miles. Though we hated the thieving troublemakers we ignored them, they were no threat and would be an "extra" for some of my hunters who wanted them.

There was always something about the smell of that country that i miss with an ache!, pungent Sage mixed with Pine, Lupine and Fireweed, Willow, Larkspur, and Daisies. Musty leaves and sweet grasses intermixed with mountain Laurel and dwarf Fir. Dozens of scents i knew well but did not know the name of the plant. Close your eyes and think of your favorite wilderness.....you know just what i mean. right?;)

Along about mile three i was swearing and muttering, we had come upon a BIG windfall that had trashed the trail for several hundred feet making it impassable to man or horse without a whole lot of "chainsquaw" work! One of those great gusts of wind that roar through the passes at 60-80 mph had picked MY trail! As i stood there angrily thinking of the work ahead i nearly shot a bear! In retrospect i should have:veryangry: My eye caught movement above us, maybe 50 yards away in a little opening. I thought at first it was an Elk so shushed my boys and taking my binoculars from the saddlebag i leaned on a tree next to my horse and adjusted the focus.

The sight that met my eyes was startling to say the least, i had thought Elk as the color was about right, but what i was looking at was a HUGE "blonde" colored Black Bear! Close to the largest i had seen in that area! I whispered to the guys and they also got looking, making impressed noises also. I said, well boys, when "Alabama Bob" (true! honest!) gets here next week he may just want this big bruiser, he turned down two good Blackies last year, wanting a "colored" bear.

I had just got that out of my mouth when the goofy bear turned in a circle, sniffed the air and came running straight for us! In about as long as it takes to say it we had a stampede happening as the horses caught both the scent of the bear and the sight of him acomin! I ripped the Browning 338 win mag from the scabbord as my horse spun away and.....

Continued soon.....

man i went to the colorado rockies about 15 years ago to southwest colorado,going through northern new mexico i stsrted feeling funny,not sick but kind of,it was about 6,000 feet above there,and started to get a headache and then as we got higher it went away.i often wondered if my body might have been making some adjustments,i was in real good physical shape then.never had any problems with the higher altitudes,i think the cabin we stayed in was about 9 to 10,000 feet.i had never been more than about 800 feet above sea level before that.

your body was making adjustments. A bit of hypoxia had you in its grip. Most people get over it quick enough as long as they are not working hard climbing the mountain or whatever, then it takes a week or two to adjust. It can be dangerous for old guys like me now and my buddy Royal:biggrin:
It makes blondes kinda giddy also and thats not so bad, mostly:devil:

As most young men, I dreamed of going on a hunting trip in the Mountains but in my dreams I was not cutting a deadfall from the trail at seven thousand feet.

We did have the charging bear but I was the one, in my fanticy, that shot it at the last moment. In my dream I did not crap my britches as =would have happened in real life.

As always I am waiting for the next episode of a very interesting and well written story. A story you have lived but most of us have only dreamed.

Thanks Wayne for taking the time to write it. I know you are a busy man

You sure write interesting stories...they keep you glued to the screen. Thanks for sharing this story. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Man can you ever write a good story.. Thank you

Calm seas

m

n/t

n/t

i was just told by his wife this morning that one of my best friends "John" who guided with me and had some bear adventures in that very camp had a heart attack this morning and is in intensive care. I can't even go see him as they only let his wife in for 5 minutes! She just called me again while i was typing this message, saying that he will undergo openheart surgery in a couple days.
Been too darn busy and now this!
Wayne