Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Bear......part three........

Wayne in BC

That windfall and the bear problem put us behind several hours. By the time the trail was clear to the second spike camp it was late afternoon and we were all beat so made camp there and ate the trail food we had brought along. I figured it was best to go back to the main camp in the morning to do some more work there after a days break.

None of us slept good that night, a herd of Elk were nearby, with the bulls whistling and roaring steady! It was the beginning of the rut and good news that the Elk were here, bad for sleeping tho. We were up early, coffee'd up and on the trail back by 6 am. Uneventfull trip so the main camp was in sight by 9 am and we were all looking forward to getting a good meal, the trail food had not quite cut it.

As we rounded the point of trees some 50 ft from my tents we were passing THE SPRING! Did not tell you about that yet, just the absolute best springhole i had ever seen. I had found it by accident several years previous when my camp had been a quarter mile further down the creek. In november i was out roaming around in the late Deer season. There was a foot of snow and i was walking my horse in this area because it was humpy bumpy and dangerous. Having stopped to rest i was surprised to hear water gurgling. The creek and beaver dams were only a few hundred feet away but froze up solid as the temp had been more than 25 below at night that week.

Following the sound i found a hole in the low thick brush that was about 2 ft square and 3 ft deep with water gushing out of it to disappear down a narrow cut and into the bog near the creek. I was sure some happy
and right away planned to move my camp! This artesian spring would provide my camp with pure fresh water and no risk of giardosis (beaver fever) to my clients. It would also act as a fridge for the camp. When i moved the camp there in the next early summer i nearly could not find it! The grass and brush overhung the hole and its outlet......perfect! My tents went up:thumbup:

Ok, back to the sight at "my spring". There was dirt, grass, brush, and pieces of beer cans stewn all over! It looked like someone had taken a small backhoe to the ground and i knew immediatly that a bear had found our "fridge" into which i normally stuffed a 25 gallon can with a locking ring lid into but had not yet done that this year. It was trashed and my guides were pitching a fit over 3 dozen Coors light beer cans with bite holes in them:cry: There was also bits of the wrapper from a whole ham, 3 lbs of bacon, and two packages of steaks, a roast, potatoe and carrot bags etc!

Those bears will bite into a can of pop or beer and suck out the liquid and i was hoping the sucker was passed out nearby! After a bunch of cussing we went into camp fearing the worst, and we were right, it was also trashed totally! Every tent was tore up! Even tho we left the door flaps tied open the stupid nasty bears would go in, wreck everything in sight and then tear a hole out the side or back wall to get out. Nearly all our food was destroyed or eaten, the cans bitten through and packages scattered, only a small bag of flour and 5 lbs of onions that had been still in a packbox were salvagable, he had even eaten 6 kraft dinners!

We spent several hours patching things together, made one coleman stove out of two, the critter had chewed them up for the grease smell on them. I took a fishing rod to the beaverdam and caught us some trout for supper and we set down to plan revenge on you know who after finding a swatch of blonde hairs where he had rubbed his back on a tree after marking it with his claws, "my territory now" it said.........Oh yeah? Wanna bet you #%@#&*# bear!!!

We did not even get to bed, just at dusk there was a commotion in the horse corral behind the tents, snorting, squealing, and blowing from the horses followed by a loud "WHUFF HUFF" from the bear, and we all had rifles in hand and boiled out of the tent ready to make war on a bruin!

continued.......:biggrin:

Many people underestimate the intelligence of animals, but as you well know, they are not as dumb as folks think. I suspect that this bear is going to come out on the losing end of this battle. I am really enjoying this story, thanks! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

it is all true and as i remember it. as all my stories are.
It was mostly for you cause i know you enjoy bear stories;) But it seems others enjoy them also and thats good!
I have a couple more somewhere in my head but not sure if i have written them here. Sometimes i forget the ordinary ones:biggrin:

wrong time of the year, too early and then the paint!
I never bothered with the fake snarls on mounted bear heads:rolleyes:
More realistic if i could have the whole critter mounted showing him in the process of licking maggots off a carcass, real natural like:lol:

bear stories. Bears fascinate me and I have read several books about bears and bear attacks. I always enjoy the stories, especially when written by friends of mine. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

That shot a huge Grizley. He had a full mount done of it. I have never seen it but have been told it is mighty impressive. I did see a full mount of one Fred Gear got with bow years ago and it was one scary sucker.

That blonde bear of yours sure tore the crap out of your camp! No easy feat to resupply and I have a feeling that bad boy is not gonna be saved for no dang client!

As usual a very interesting story. Thanks Wayne

n/t