Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Bear ....part 2...........

Wayne in BC

As i swung the rifle up and chambered a round my mind was saying.....what the heck! Even really stupid Black bears do not charge a noisy group of men and horses!!!???
Ain't it wonderful how you can have such a long conversation with yourself in a fraction of a second, given that it takes a couple minutes to do something as uncomplicated as ordering dinner?:blink:
While my brain was doing this it was also hearing the pandemonium going on around me, horses snorting and trying to leave in a panic, Gary swearing, and the comforting "klick klack" next to me of Toms 30-30 winchester having a shell racked into the chamber!

I had just begun to get the sight in the general direction of the bear who was still coming our way in jumps, appearing and disappearing as he came over and under the deadfall. Nasty because there would be little time for shooting, only the last 50 feet or so that the beast would be in the open, lousy odds and i decided to get at least one round away in the hope of confusing the fool critter before he got too close, so my finger had nearly tightened enough to fire when my sight picture went black!

The same instant that i was seeing black and wondering what the *&%#*!, Tom said.....oh fer chrisakes! His exact words, i remember them real good:biggrin: He had a different and better view than me, and "iron sights" so knew what had just happened. In a second more i also knew what Tom was saying when i lowered my rifle to look over the scope.

The Bears, yup plural! Were nearly nose to nose, whuffing and popping their jaws at each other and as it all came clear i relaxed a bit. The blonde Bear had not been interested in us at all and was running in OUR direction to get at another Bear, a black colored one who he thought was encroaching on his territory. We later figured out that we had unknowingly spooked the black one, who had begun to run off, right in the direction of the meanest s.o.b in the valley, who took it personal and met what he thought was a charge by retaliating in kind!

After a brief bawling and swatting match the two Bears split up and lit out in a hurry as a 250 grain chunk of jacketed lead from my magnum lifted half a bushel of wood chips from a log just under their noses! We did not have time to discuss much then as Gary was involved in an involuntary "rodeo" with his very spooked horse who was bent on following mine and Tom's back down the trail to camp! We had work to do and as we set to catching horses and picking up scattered gear i said to Tom. You know, i should have just shot that sucker on general principles but he is valuable! He allowed as how he had the same thought, but like me, he figured that blondie was money in the bank from a happy client, so.......

Yeah, i should have dusted that s.o.b! He was not finished with us as we would learn the next day:cry:

Continued...

most of us would not have been looking at the financial side of it. You had a business and the bear was merchadise. The fact that it was charging you, at least from your perspective, would have been cause to drop him for most of us.

Exciting story as usual and I am looking forward to the next installment. 22 more installments aren't there :D

I thought maybe it was a momma with a couple of cubs somewhere or something. Good story! I would've had to change my shorts before I went looking for the horses :lol:

Dave

What trouble did the bear have in store for you folks? Is this a man eating bear? You folks sure lead an exciting life style up there in Canada, appears that something fun is always happening. I am looking forward to the next part. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

it may take a while tho:)
I had many hundreds of encounters with Bears in my hunting and guiding years but only a few of them were notable and they tend to stay in memory that needs jogging sometimes :biggrin:

It is just a matter of what a person is trained to do by experience Dave, and necessity:biggrin:

for sure gonna whack him! It was only a fluke that i was standing in the right/wrong? Place!
It may take a few installments yep;)

installment.did i get this straight that one of your guides walked in front of you just before you squeezed off a round?,that could of been bad,all that downed timber must make it hard to notice some things,working and cutting deadwood can keep you distracted,i can see how you wouldn't notice another bear.

n/t

Hey, Wayne! Get back in here and finish this story! You've had time to visit the boy's room and refill your pipe.
Thanks amigo.
Jess

n/t