Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Battle of Bandera Pass................

Kelley (Texas)

It was a beautiful day and I decided to ride the motorcycle up near Kerrville, Texas and then cut across the country on some of the back roads. One interesting area that I saw was the famous Bandera Pass that is a few miles south of Kerrville. I had always read about this area, but for some reason had never visited it. When approaching Bandera Pass, there is no mistaking it...it is an actual pass in the hills. In my haste to get on the road, I left my camera on the charger...I forgot to take it. I need to go back and will take some pictures next time. After you go south through the pass, you will go about 20 miles and there will be Bandera, Texas. I make note of this because I hear tell that there is a large treasure hidden on Polly's Peak a short distance east of Bandera.

This is some information about Bandera Pass.

Famous Battle of Bandera Pass

Different accounts do not agree concerning the date of this engagement. According to one account, it was fought in the spring of 1841, while others place the date in 1843. Nevertheless, the story will be related at this time.

Soon after the big raid of the Comanches on Victoria and Linnville, President Houston felt a stronger need for frontier protection. So he appointed Capt. John C. Hays to recruit a company of rangers. Many noted Indian fighters saw service in Capt. John Hays

the commanche ruled for a long time,they hasseled the mexicans and were always after horses,another texas history story i hadn't heard.if you head that way again and you think about it ask if any of the graves are marked,i doubt it but it would be interesting.

the Texans fled San Antonio when Santa Anna approached the Alamo. This Mexican family took all their money and were ambushed by some Indians near Bandera, Texas...all were killed by the Indians. No one knows what happened to the money, but spectulation is that the Indians buried it near the site of the killings. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

n/t

When I was in school, we learned a great deal about U.S. history.... and most of what we learned occured down south.

Great story!! :thumbup:

fair winds

Mikie

and could not locate any information on this possible treasure site. I read about this many years ago in an old history book of the area. I still have all my books intact since the move and when I have time, I will see if I can locate the article. At the time that I read about this possible treasure, I was reading about the panic in the area because of Santa Anna marching towards the Alamo. I get frustrated with Google search because I am not very skilled at using it...as a matter of fact, my book learning skills leave much to be desired anyway, and my computer knowledge skills are lacking even more.

A few years ago, I found an old Civil War belt plate on a ranch down here in South Texas. This site had to have been a battle site because there were little piles of rim fire big rifle cartridges as you would find at a battle site. I went to Ft. Sam for information and no one there knew of a battle in that area. The site was on a bluff with a creek at the bottom. There were lots of bones down by that creek, as a matter of fact, it was kinda spooky and I got out of there as fast as the horse would carry me. I kinda think that they were human bones, but not sure. I later calmed down and went back to the site and found some more rim fire rifle cartridges, part of a fork, and other items that would indicate a military camp site and possible battle. I can not find any information on this site by using Google search.

It is my understanding that the ranch has been sold and houses will be built there in a year or so...I need to get back out there with a metal detector before the site is destroyed. I have no doubt in my mind that the site has never been searched...most folks would not know something happened there many years ago. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

sure is some great history in your state. I could keep myself amused down there no problem. Sounds like a great spot to go detecting if allowed. Be neat to find some pistol or rifle cartridges that were used in those weapons or anything else for that matter.

Is the paved road there now, the same road we see in dirt in the picture?

Good post.

Geo-CT

that fact it isn't in google gives you more chance to find and untouched site. That would be a plus in my mind. That had to be a thrill to find that civil war buckle. I've often though about trying to find one while down south with some of the detector guys down there, but I can't seem to pry myself off the SC beaches long enough to do it. Hard to walk away from easy digging and miles of beaches where tourist loose their goodies. I had a local give me a lead on a potential hunt site down there and after some research, it seems it would be a good area to hunt. Maybe this year if I get down to see my daughter Heidi.

Geo-CT

and all the area around Bandera Pass is private owned, fenced off from the public. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Most folks would not recognise it as ever been occupied by humans...just a few out of place stones tipped me off. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

have been looking it over using Google Earth but can not pinpoint where the pass is.

Occasionally i'll buy a Western magazine. Enjoy looking at the fringe jackets/ boot ads etc. Great culture! Its a shame how the open land is disappearing.

It is just a small opening in the mountains, just south of Camp Verde. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)