Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The Apple Tree Thanksgiving

Arkie John

As each holiday season approaches, it becomes more and more special to me. Each time I see the strings of geese migrating across the pale autumn skies, making their way, noisily, to warmer waters, I am reminded that I will not be here forever and that I'd better make the most of what I have. Now don't get me wrong; I'm not wishing my life away, but I must deal with the stark fact that (by mere longevity) I am probably the "next one to jump" into eternity. So allow me to make the most of what is left. Come along with me. You have the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This year is like the others in some respects. With the coming of November comes also the memories of our folks both passing--mother on November 5th and daddy on the 20th. seven and thirty-one long years ago, respectively. That's always tough to handle. However, there is a built in relief valve that seems to play an ever-increasingly importance, here of late.

Now, in the same breaths and remembrances of the old folks, I thank the good Lord for all that He gives me and has given me and shall give me. Most of these blessings are a direct result of something mother and daddy or our grand parents did, that directly influences us even today.

It doesn't have to be anything big. I remember being a little fart, all of five years, following my daddy's daddy along the orchard. I watched as he, in his Big Smith blue-bibbed overalls and denim shirt, methodically planted several dozen apple trees that day. It was fun being with him, even though my toes were cold from jack frost anippin'. But I couldn't figure out what was SO important about planting ole tree saplings that would take FOREVER to grow. As he watered, he looked at me and said, "Johnnyboy, one day you will know why we did this."

My siblings and our friends and I, ate apples all our childhood days because of that act of love. We had apple jelly and apple pies when no one else in the neighborhood had apple jelly or apple pies. I had an orchard of shade trees on a hot summer day. We had a club house at the back of the orchard, hidden by Paw-paw's now-flourishing apple trees. Momma had a shelf full of canned apples most years. Life was good. But I digress.

To my wailings, anger and disbelief, In October of 1957, my grandfather-the man who would live forever-died when the trees were but about three feet tall. But I watched the trees mature...and my heart healed some. I watched as a boy, when daddy would put white-wash on them to keep the bugs at bay. I watched, mixed up as I might have been after I came home from the Navy, as some of them fell to the elements and to disease. That didn't happen until after daddy died. Slowly, one by one they all died except for two. They had fruit--golden delicious apples--until momma died. Then they died. But the memories didn't die...and I am ever-thankful.

I taught Virginia to make apple jelly after we were married. But we never make apple jelly but what I don't think of that cold autumn morning so very, very long ago when I watched my granddaddy plant those special love trees. Somehow, it makes the jelly taste sweeter. I think the indelible memory of that kind of love and caring has something to do with it all.

The apples are gone. The trees are all gone. The folks are gone. But...this thanksgiving, I still have my memories. Linda will serve up a feast--the first thanksgiving feast for all of us since momma died. Among the courses will be a wild turkey breast and momma's dressing. The turkey will have a glaze made of (among other ingredients) melted apple jelly.

I am so thankful for our family and the traditions that we inherited. This year, we will be passing some of these traditions along as we enjoy each other's company. Beside special dishes, there will be notecards stating where it came from, why it is here and who's recipe it might be. This year is unlike the others in certain respects. The kids--one got married off this year--one came back from the war yesterday--many are in college now--the kids are getting of age now. Hopefully they will sit back and take note that these things just didn't happen. (The dressing takes two days to make!) They must now assume the traditions as theirs. It is my prayer that they take copious notations to the heart.

I hope each of you has a special Thanksgiving this 2007. Pray for our troops and our loved ones and thank God Himself for your next breath because without Him we are nothing. Thanks for coming along with me on this special stroll through the orchard. I am so very thankful for the Apple Tree Thanksgiving. It's just part of me.

(Psalms 71, especially verse 8 )

Your thankful friend,

aj

memories and events connect us to those we love.today i went to the transfer station(dump)and took the trash i don't burn plus the recycle stuff.on the road to the dump there is a pecan grove/orchard and it doesn't look tended,maybe thirty trees.when you mentioned your granddad planting the apple trees i thought of the pecan trees,whoever planted then knew they would probably not live to see them produce much fruit.

n/t

...planting hardwoods will require someone to be old and gray before they ever see mature trees.

To plant any tree is an act of love, I think. But to do it on you son's property, with a knee-high grandson shadowing you, well that shows love AND patience! :lol:

My toes where sure cold that day. I shall never forget it. It's funny; I think about that whenever I'm on a deer stand sometimes. I'ma bettin' it was colder on my deer stand than back on that day. But bein' a little tyke, well, I was just COLD!

Thanks for the post, my friend and Happy Thanksgiving and many blessings to you and yours.

aj

...I would bring the turkey and (I thought to myself) an apple pie, but later thought better of it. I may have my hands full with the turkey!

Hope you and Alice and the clan have a great holiday.

aj

tears to my eyes. I got to thinking about it, and you are exactly right. This will be the first year at Thanksgiving that we truly will ALL be here together since our parents passing, and it is with much love that I look forward to this special family gathering.

I miss paw paw, nanny, and most of all our mother and daddy. But I have had to try and put myself in a new light this year, and understand that our folks are looking down on us from the above, smiling because we still REMEMBER our pawpaw, we still REMEMBER the scores of apples we ate in that beautiful fruit orchard that our grandfather so lovingly planted for us, and that we remember, love and appreciate them all so much, that we feel it is imperative that not only our children know,..........but that our GRANDchildren know the ever eventful stories of our past, and of our love of family that we have retained into our adulthood to share with them.

I know my oldest grandson has a tender spot in his heart, and he will continue telling of these accounts, but I see it in all of them when even the wee ones say "Nana,.....tell us the story about...........". It thrills me to no end.

I spent a beautiful childhood thanks to our folks and grandparents (what part I had with them), thus it has been my life's goal that my children have the same. WIth all of them adults now,........I see that part of my prayer has come true.

Still, we can tell the stories, but I feel we truly cannot convey the wonderful world we grew up in, to it's full advantage.

I will forever remember the orchard, the fruits of the orchard, my family, and perhaps still more vividly now, know what it's like to have a loving big brother, as well as a loving younger one, and children and grandchildren that do nothing but make my heart swell with pride, and hit my knees with thanks! ILY! :)

Funny how of all the things we do in life, its the moments in life when your being taught something, or a lesson learned or just that reassuring hand or talk that stays with you all thru life. I too remember those Some day son you will remember this or that. I look forward to all those moments now.

Nice post.

George-Ct

It wouldn't be complete without you! There is only one "sissy" and your input made it 24K real!

This Thanksgiving is going to be a special Thanksgiving and I can't wait.

ily
Johnboy

we all hope our children,and grandchildren have such fond memories of growing up, and continue to pass them along for generations. May your family have a great Thanksgiving!

This will be a special time for us this year. I truly you and yours will have a reflective, quality-time Thanksgiving.

aj

Thank You ... it give one something to stop and think about other than the day to day cares and worry we put on ourself ...

This year will be a hard year as Thanksgiving goes ,,, I will be spending dinner with my Mom and younger Brother at the farm, ... I have agreed to go up and visit with the kids and wife for desert , not sure if Mom and Lil' bro will go , Mom has had her cataract operation today and may not want to risk the chance of catching the cold my son has ...It may even mean I will be cooking the turkey this year for Mom , I kind of look forward to the treat ... ....I find it very hard and difficult to face her given what has and is happening , but I try to do my best by the kids ..... even if they are being used at times as a weapon or so it seems at times ....

I hope you all have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving...thanks for being here and letting me vent at times

Bill G.

Sure does bring the holidays into focus. Thanks for sharing such a wonderful story.

for another stroll down memory lane. I remember eating those green apples until my belly ached! An apple pie WOULD be great!

I am thankful to have wonderful brothers and sisters like you and Linda. I have been blessed with a great family,(although not always normal),

See you both on Thursday.

I may be back on the forum if everything works out!

Lil Brother

Those are the memories we cherish a long time. I sure miss my Gramps, he raised me instead of parents.

Have a Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving my friend!

Dave

n/t

I broke the chains of turmoil long ago when, one day, I realized (after a discuss with a friend) that I must forgive people; not because they DESERVE it, but because we are told to do so. (Mark Ch 11). That was a hard pill to swallow, especially with MY pride. But I did it--from the heart. First, I had to forgive myself. Then it got a little bit easier.

The Lord has forgiven me and made it public nine years ago--not because I DESERVE it, but because He loves me. I learned that when I try to emulate Christ in this regard that the word 'thanksgiving' comes much more freely in my prayers.

Forgivness--no matter how hard it seems--is the key to breaking the chains of turmoil. I truly hope that you have a meaningful, beautiful Thanksgiving. All things are possible through Christ.

Your friend,

aj

(John 6:37)