Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The annual herring Roe fishery is just over and.......

Wayne in BC

these guys are greedy! We lose at least one a year because they overload the boat, this is a 60 footer taking on water with nearly twice its safe load onboard!!! The coast guard tried but only their small rescue ship and Zodiac were nearby and did not have big enough pumps. Idiots got what they deserved and fortunately no loss of life.

[attachment 51551 Boatsinking3_320x240.JPG]

I wonder if their insurance is going to cover the loss, considering they were overloaded. Tough lesson for the dummies !

there is a quota set and sometimes a time limit. Usually there is enough time but occasionally they hit quota too quick and it is shut down. Sometimes the spawning is spotty and they all crowd in and get to scrapping over position and even ramming each other! (Herring spawn on seaweed and rocky beaches in shallow water) The fishing is mostly done by size restricted gillnet because they want only the mature spawners. They use 20-25 ft aluminum skiffs and when full take it to the "packer ship". The one that sunk was trying to cheat by overloading and saving a trip to the buyer. They were also trying to make more money with inadequate equipment.

We here on the coast have long opposed the annual rape of the Herring stocks and have seen our Salmon and other fish suffer because that is their main foodsource. Really stupid i think to harvest only mature spawners so the Asians can have herring eggs for a delicacy while a few hundred deckhands make a months wages in a couple days and the fatcats that own the licenses and boats make millions!.....best i quit now:rant:

regarding our fisheries. They soft pedal it a bit in this older 2002 link. The area they refer to and the pic shown are right in front of my bro in laws home a short distance from me (15 miles).
We watch the Zoo every year......
BC herring fishery

only playing poker does it pay to get greedy,but if you get caught bluffing,same thing happens:biggrin:.don't folks in britain and scandinavian countries eat dried and smoked herring?seems a waste to just harvest for the eggs,hope millions lay eggs elsewhere to keep the population up.

n/t

next to Denby Island and there is a buoy on it so you can dive. Might be lots of 6 gills around too because they had tonnes of Herring aboard:biggrin:

n/t

around here we call that sinking:surprised:

few hairs must be because you are splitting them all the time!:lol:
Taking on a BUNCH of water,just before it sinks:rofl:
[attachment 51736 Boatsinking4.jpg]