Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

The $25.00 rug....

Dan-MO

It all started a few weeks ago when my wife met me at the door when I got home from work.She was exicited and for a minute I got my hopes up.....you know thinking she was glad to see me.....but alas I soon discovered she was excited because she had bought a new roll of linoleum at a yard sale that was just the pattern she was looking for! She wanted me to haul it home for her and all the while enroute to get it she chattered on about what a great deal she got....only $25.00 for a 12 X 30' roll of Armstrongs finest cushioned linoleum that would look great in our kitchen, hallway and bathroom after WE got it put down.And think of all the money she had saved by finding it at a garage sale instead of buying it at a carpet store!

As I struggled to load the heavy roll into my truck....I couldn't help but think of what kind of job she had got US into-I didn't even know WE were in the market for new flooring-and even though the tile in the kitchen was worn in a few places and had a few cracked tiles where the floor had settled over the years-it looked ok to me.Wisely I kept these thoughts to myself as Linda assured me that WE could get it installed in a night or two after work in the evenings.

When we got home and I more closely examined the floor-my fears were realized as there were uneven places and cracked tiles that would make it impossible to just cut and lay the rug-I would have to fit a 1/4 " underlayment on top of the old (although it still looked good to me) tile floor before laying the new rug.The next day found me at home depot buying 12 sheets of underlayment (11.00 per sheet) as well as a couple of pounds of drywall screws and a new cordless screwdriver (about $85.00)

The next 3 nights were spent measureing, cutting,and screwing down the underlayment taking care to countersink each screw.I also had to remove all of the baseboards-breaking most of them in the process.The next night I filled all of the countersunk screws and underlayment seams with wood putty (About $10.00 worth) and the next night sanded it all smooth after buying 3 packages of sandpaper for my beltsander ($5.00 per package.I was now 4 hard evenings into the job and was finally ready to install the linoleum.

I worked until midnight carefully trimming it to fit then rolling it up and spreading glue ($12.00)before unrolling it again smoothing it out as I went.When I was done and stepped back and looked at it-ignoring my aching knees and stiff back-I must admit it looks good-more importantly LINDA thinks it looks good!

Now all I have left to do is buy all new baseboard and trim and install it (I figure about another $100.00) and the job will be completed.

Linda loves her $25.00 floor but is a little concerned that it doesn't quite match the kitchen cabinets and countertop-She is going to keep her eyes out for cabinets she likes at future garage sales!:cry:

Gotta love um!

zip, zip.....you'll be done in no time !:lol:

$500 on up! You might as well gut the kitchen,and throw away the table and chairs. They will be next! :D

We have been gutting our house and no matter what we do, the end cost is always more [sometimes by several factors] than we had originally estimated.

calm seas

Mikie

You two make a good team...your wife being the project manager and you being the crew. :rofl: I enjoyed your story, thanks for sharing. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

cracked linoleum has always been a part of my life and the memories that come with it are actually wonderful.
All that changed when these stupid decorator shows got so popular and it became so common to hear......"it will be easy Dear" will not take long and as soon as your back heals "WE" can do the bathroom and .....:unsure:

n/t

it ended up being a bit more than just laying it over the old floor, at least you didn't have to hire it done, and you made her happy! And, look at the good side. At least her purchase was for the family.....she could be a clothes horse and spent money all on herself! Good on you for being performing labors of love! :)

favorite place, as they have videos that tell how to do things. I have surprised myself at what I have found that I can really do! So, things could be worse, you all could have wives that didn't care WHAT your castles look like! :biggrin:

hear Linda's name mentioned even once. What did she do to contribute to the project, except get you a great deal on the flooring? Sounds like you were suckered again :rofl:

Been there dun that :D