Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

That time of the year ...........

Wayne in BC

outta "right field" i guess this is, life lessons that never go away.

Some time in 1957, in a place known as "Camp Wainwright", about 150 miles east of Edmonton.
I was selling Boy Scout apples. Now this army camp had way too many kids who were Scouts and too few houses, so being slow to start, maybe a day late , i came up with the idea to sneak over to where Dad "worked". This was understood to be off limits to kids and you just did not screw with rules around military camps cause it could seriously redden your brave little ass! Thrice! Once when you were caught, by whoever caught you, once by your old man, and again by your old man after his superior chewed his azz for not controlling his kid!
I still don't know why i did it, although i was a bad little bastard, was sometimes a bit chicken and had just a bit of sense.

I remember walking (sorta) casually up the road to the ordinance depot where Dad ran the show, (though i did not know that yet, i just thought he "worked" there).
I timidly entered the yawning door of the huge quonset, saw the office looking place to my left and peeked in. There was Dad with his feet up on a desk sipping coffee while a number of men bussled around moving all kind of stuff and i was a bit shocked cause he talked about "work" like it was REAL work!

He looked up and said......i quote "why you young rapscallion whatcha doin here!" Cowed a bit i squeaked out, selling Boy scout apples Dad. He said nothing for a few moments then suddenly lunged to his feet and hollered LOUD.....FRONT AND CENTER!!! Well she-it, suddenly soldiers came running from all directions to line up at the door and i cowered some wondering if they was gonna kill me!? As i froze in place and things got real quiet, Dad said , now in a nice conversational tone, gentlemen this is my son and he is selling Boy Scout apples, now i am sure you all love apples (honey dripping from his voice but just a hint of poison maybe?), and would be disappointed if you missed out, correct gentleman? Came a sudden chorus of YES Sergeant!

I sold the whole whack of apples, Dad told me not to say where i sold them and i won the badge Just another lesson learned, first that "officers" were high mucky mucks but did not necessarily run things and secondly in later years that those poor b$stards didn't deserve that. I still loved him though
He passed just after Christmas 1984, age 65 as of Dec 17 and before he could cash his first old age pension chegue and after he supervised me building my first home.
I remember........

Wayne

I bet those folks enjoyed eating those apples. :rofl: Where did you build that first house? That in it's self would make a good story. Great story, I liked it! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

Including buying Scout apples from his kid. I mean really, how can you not buy an apple from a Scout??

Cheers Mate,

Eric

Ain't it funny.... the older I get the smarter my dad became!! :)

calm seas

Mikie

sorry to hear your dad didn't get to reap what he deserved for his work.controlling your kids was a big deal when my dad was in the service especially if you lived on base.know days i think most families live off base and the single guys live on base.wonder how many of the men enjoyed their apples:biggrin:.

that precious moment in your life. Its brief times like that, you should never forget, and pass down!

In my book, that makes him pretty special ! And having conversed with you via telephone on a few occasions, it's clear to me that the apple didn't fall far from the tree. That occasion sums up pretty well all I need to know about your father. And it doesn't surprise me !:beers:

Thanks for sharing your dad!

I like it and the glimpse you gave us into your life at that time is a special gift.

I'll bet dollars to donuts that there are several stories that could spin off of this one, eh? I hope you will give us another installment soon.

Thanks for sharing,

aj

wouldn't have helped you sell those apples. So, I see you have bittersweet memories in December like me and the brothers do. I love the holiday season, but we lost our father plus his birthday is December 22, so while I like celebrating, a bit of me always stays sad. Thank God for our memories. Our dad died before he could enjoy his retirement also. They say God takes the best first. I believe that! :)

Those are the memories you want to stick with you. My father has been gone awhile now yet I still find myself wishing I could still talk with him. He had those answers I needed or would make me think about what I was about to do. We had our hard times but those are the times you seem to forget. Thats fine with me. Your Dad sounds like he was quite a guy.

George-CT

Thank You for sharing , It gives one time to reflect on one's own dad and the special times and person they are ...

Bill G.

life in odd ways Wayne. Looks like he knew how to sell apples!!