Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Thanksgiving Reflections...:stretcher:

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!! Hope you had a great day! :happy:
I finally recovered from my gluttony enough to come sit at the 'puter while the rest of the family is fast asleep. I am normally a lurker and don't post often, but while I was at the in-laws for Turkey Day something struck me. I had to write it out somewhere...

I'm 40 now and don't have much contact with my family around the holiday season. Mom and Dad were divorced when I was a grade-schooler, my sister and brother are off doing their own thing somewhere, and all my grandparents are deceased. I spend most of my time with my Wife and Son and my in-laws. They are a great bunch of people and I enjoy spending time in their homes as a family, but recently I have started to think back to my younger days with my family and all the great memories from those times

It seems the holiday season these days is so much different than when I was growing up. I remember going to some distant relative's house on my Dad's side of the family. There would be anywhere from a couple dozen to near 100 people there. All the women were in the kitchen fixing up the feast, the men were in the living room watching football or outside talking cars, hunting, "guy stuff". All the kids would be running wild all over the countryside playing our games until we were called in for supper. The meal was like a banquet fit for a king - Turkey, Ham, Roast, Venison, and dozens of sides. We all sat at tables and TV trays all over the house to eat. The football game was turned off so that the only noise was a din of friendly conversation. Afterwards we stuffed ourself full of pie, cake, cookies, every imaginable treat. When noone could move and all the clean-up work was done, we would gather in the living room in front of the fire while someone played the piano and we all sang hymns and songs of thanks. That was a very special day and I looked forward to that more than Christmas.

Today I had a great time at the inlaws, but it just didn't feel the same. We all ate our supper in shifts because the table is small, the kids were in the living room with X-Box sounds booming all over the house. After dinner all the gals and teens sat around a huge pile of "Black Friday Early Bird Ads" making their plans for where they were going to be at 4 AM in the morning and how many stores they would hit before lunchtime. Then every one took off for home to get to bed early before my father in law had a chance to finish cleaning up the dishes and come in to visit.

The spirit of Thankfulness seems to be disappearing at an alarming rate anymore - and we as a country and as individuals have an endless list of things in life to be thankful for. Too many people are taking too many things for granted. I always felt like I didn't have much in my life to be thankful for but I try to leave some time for myself to concentrate on the blessings in my life and not the negative things. The other night I watched a special on TV about the massacres in Darfur, Sudan and the utter indifference the rest of the world had towards it. I realized just how lucky I am to be an American and how truly blessed my humble life really is. :thumbup:

Well I'm done saying my peace! Have a great holiday season everyone and take a moment to give thanks for all the blessings in your life too.

Mike.

n/t

if it wasn't for my elderly mom i mostly like spend thanksgiving alone or with one or two siblings,and if it weren't for someone else preparing thanksgiving dinner alot of people would just stay at home.wonder how many people say thanks to the host for preparing the dinner?

you sure have a way with words!! Very good indeed. Don't always be a lunker. We are friendly and I sure the heck know YOU have story's!!

it seems today that all everyone can think about is what they're gonna buy next or where the best deals are etc... Sad!

We took my wife's mom to the airport this morning and tried to stop at a mall on the way home. NO! WAY! There were at least three cars trolling for the next parking space in each row and all five floors of the parking garage were filled. Didn't even get out of the car.:rant:

Guess I'll have to fill my shopping list with lumps of coal!:rofl:

Glad ya had a good time at the in-laws!

I, like you, still remember some very happy moments. In a way though, I think (no....I know) it's what WE make it. Sure times have changed but family and friendship hasn't. Can't we try to build those types of memories for our kids to carry on. I'm sure many here had nothing to do with it but "society" as a whole has brought us to this "X-Box" generation and I think we can turn that around........one family at a time. I bet, with a little effort we could all create that gathering you remember. Don't get me wrong, Mike. I am in the same boat except I'm an only child and both parents are long gone. Your story has helped ignite a spark I thought extinguished a long time ago. Next year I will do everything in my power to "help" my family understand the importance of the day and the memories that will live long after you and I are gone. That, my friend, is the magic we have as parents. Let's live in the past for a day......it can only be a good thing. Thank you.

a fairly large family, and we all had a great time. I will post more on this tomorrow with photos, is time allows. We had one of the best Thanksgiving's we have had in a while. It all started out with a reading of Arkie's Story that he posted a few days back, (who is also my big brother) and he also gave our Thanksgiving Prayer. No one without a tear in their eye I feel certain.

No matter how bad times may seem, all we have to do is sit back and count our blessings. We all have them, we just cannot dwell on the bad, but thank God for all the wonderful blessings he bestows on us everyday of our life. Don't be a lurker.

Post here regularly, for you are most welcome. You seem to be a great writer, and this is the place to be when you need to get a few things off your chest. It's great therapy. Believe me, it has helped me so much, and I feel all these guys on here are my "brother's", and know they would do anything for me. They will be my friends until I die! I just would love to have the pleasure of meeting all of them before my time. I plan to work on this, as I have had this pleasure with some.

Come on back! We would love to hear more from you! :)