Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TexasCharley, would you take a look at this rock? .............

Kelley (Texas)

Have you ever seen a rock like this one? This rock appears to have some silver colored metal laced through out it. I am tempted to take a hammer and smash it...see if the metal streaks are inside of it too. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 138175 strangerock_1.jpg]

[attachment 138176 strangerock_2.jpg]

It's hard to tell from just the photo, but it looks like quartz. I wouldn't smash it. I'd take it to a geologist. There are a number of 'em at UTSA & OLLU.
Whatever it is, it certainly looks interesting.

Quartz usually isn't silver-bearing, but it can be gold-bearing. Silver is usually connected with either galena or a stuff called 'horn silver,' most commonly with galena. Galena is often about 80% lead, maybeso 10% to 15% silver, the rest ash & trash. Sometimes it's just lead. The big thing about galena is you can carve it with a good knife. It'll be deep blue to black & when you tap it with a hammer it'll dent. The Packsaddle mine produced galena that was about 90% lead, 7% to 8% silver. There's a lot of galena in the hill country, but most of it's just lead & ash & trash.

Kelly it looks like the lava run we saw all over Mafia, this last Feb. I got some in my Garage, laced with some shiny spec's all in it. we cut one in half and polished it sure was pretty.

Some quick questions

Where did you find it, local geology maps might identify it as some kind of ore.

Put it in a vise and crack it apart. So the streaks stay the same or do the oxidize..

Do you have a claim on the source?