Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TexasCharley, would you know what these rimfire cartridges would be? ................

Kelley (Texas)

I placed a dime with the cartridges as a reference for size. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 133228 rimfirerifleshells.jpg]

From the size of the ctgs in relation to the dime I'd say they are .40 cal. or slightly greater. My standard reference on the subject is the 1897 Sears catalog, which lists 22 rimfire calibers, of which 16 are pictured. The shorter ones are probably .41 short, which fit the Remington double derringer & several other pocket pistols of the time. The longer one, depending on diameter & length, could be the .44 Henry ctg used primarily in the Winchester M1866 & in several revolvers--S&W chambered its first large-frame, top-break revolver for it & Colt had a .44 rf ctg which was dimensionally identical to the Henry ctg but they didn't call it that. A number of cheap imports also chambered it.

One other possiblity is the .56-56 Spencer, which was the only straight-wall Spencer. Since after the War the US sold .56-56 Spencer rifles & carbines by weight as scrap metal to firearms dealers, notably Francis Bannerman & Hartley & Graham, they went on the civilian market for pennies on the dollar compared to brand-new weapons. Bannerman & H&G also bought the govt's remaining supply of .56-56 Spencer ammo & dumped it at surplus prices.

On the other hand, if the long one has a firing-pin dent in the middle of the head instead of on the rim, it would have been a Ben