Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

testing coils

magic

I have seen where some people are getting bad coils. I was wondering if there is a way to test coils at home to see if its bad. I am having trouble with one of my coils. It is stable resting on a bench and if you touch it, (with no metal around or on body) it will make the detector sound off. Also, if you shake the detector lightly, it will make it sound off. Only does it when I am in single 2.5 mode. I have checked connections and everything I can think of. Just wondering how a whites repair person would check the coil...
Thanks

magic,

I am surprise that no one from White's hasn't jumped on this one. As you know there has been a few discussions about the standard coil that comes stocked with the V3. Some have had to be replace. But as you know WHITE'S are constantly trying to answer question after they have worked all day and on there own time and it is very possible that this was over looked.

As you know every program has to go though the coil. What ever signal you are producing and every signal received has to come though the coil.

Either the coil is good or the coil is bad.

If you think you have a bad coil, Call WHITE'S right away. It's my understanding they do not play around and they do tell you how to check it out, and they will replace it right away. But do remember the V3 is new and to me it is a whole new generation of metal detectors and coils.

I am still learning but then again I am new to White's products and I amaze myself every time I go out.

BOB

Thanks for your input and time Bob. I will call Whites right away. I was just kinda wondering if there was a check I could do with my multimeter or something, that way I could occasionally check all my coils out. I will call Whites.

There was a problem with the D2 coil from day one when Whites produced it, quite a few were returned due to this fault, apparantly they sorted it, looks like this is not the case.

I can not believe so many people are buying the V3 and finding they have a problem with this coil.

I come from the Uk and i hope Whites sort this problem out before they start selling the units in the Uk

I am not repeat not Knocking or bashing the machine, just pointing out what a lot of people already know.

I am also not connected in anyway to the Uk field tester guy, that got banned from this forum

I have only heard of one confirmed coil problem with the V3. Most of the DD coils are a bit noisy when bumped because of the way they are constructed.

BTW, I had to add that this is NOT just the White's coils, but the Excelerator line too.

Your right Larry,
I am not saying my coil is bad, just want to be sure. I have detected with it and it has performed great! Just when it gets bumped it bad...

I think that what people do not realise is this is a 10 inch dd coil, it will be more sensitive to iron,you also need to work the coil slowely for best results.

If you want a nice quite coil either the 9.5 consentric coil or the best of the lot the 10x6 dd coil

Now if your get the same deapth, That is another matter, personally i find the D2 coil deeper than any of the whites coils, it is just a shame it seems a little unstable a times.

I'm curious...why hasn't anybody tried the stock coil off from the DFX and put in on the V3.... The D2 is for high mineral.....I'm surprised Whites didn't just put a standard concentric coil....and at least you'll have a choice to buy the D2 for high mineral ground if you have it or the Super12" coil for low mineral.

For some people, a concentric coil would work better than the D2, especially in the medium to lower mineralized ground. I used the 5.3 for a couple of hours on the V yesterday and was very impressed with it.

ALOHA Brudda, I lived in the islands for 3 years and loved it. Now, that said, just to say thanks on checking the coil. I hope to get my V3 next Tues. or Wed. and am hoping to be able to get the dealer to help put it together with me while there, and to check the coil out. Thanks ALL and HH

The only thing I didn't like was the poi.:rofl:
ALOHA Bob
floridason:usaa:retired
MXT, DX-1, Bullseye, + coils

Aloha Brudda Floridason,

Nice to hear from former Islander. You will not be disappointed with the V3. You being a owner of other White's products will give you big advantage.

The manual is already on line as well as the Video's. By watching them and ready the manuals you should be ready to parachute in, hit the ground running and take your objective.

I feel that I have done well learning the V3 so far. I am working the parks and finding alot of coins. Most of my finds are 1" to 3". I seem to be finding alot more dimes and quarters than I did with my other unit.

I do find items at 4'' - 8" at times. As you know it is very hard to dig that deep since the soil is so hard.

At the beach I have dug items at a depth of 11". But then again who wants to dig 10" - 12" holes. That takes alot of time, which I spend finding other items. What I have been doing on deep targets is marking them and taking a GPS reading and coming back later.

Nice to hear from you and wish you happy hunting. Stay in touch and post your experience.

ALOHA my friend.

BOB