Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tested my new Quattro out....

Mark in Alabama

At first I didn't know so much about the Quattro but now I'm starting to get the hang of it. The first day with it I decided to go try some places I have already hunted for years with my Minelab Sovereign XS 2. The first place I went was an old picnic spot by a creek where I grew up. Its the first place my son and I went detecting when we got our Sovereign in 02. Back then we found an 1840 seated liberty quarter and many other nice finds. I have hunted this field many times with my Sov for many years.......and you could tell! I didn't find anything good but I got to see how deep the Quattro will go...I got a real nice copper signal that read about ten inches deep. Well I went to digging and at about 8 or 9 inches was a stupid little copper zipper. Also I got a nice signal and dug a fired bullet way down in some clay about 10 inches....it sounded like a coin at 2 inches but the depth meter said it was 10 inches and it was accurate. Later I did find a 1964 nickle about 5 inches deep which I thought was cool cause I didn't dig too many nickles before with my Sov. Today I got out to a site that was used by the military since the Spanish American war but mainly WW II. I have pounded this place also, many other people have too. I started really getting the hang of the Quattro about 30 minutes before dark and I started finding some wheaties and right at dark I dug one more signal which was a 1947 nickle. Five wheat pennies and a nickle....nothing great, but now I'm starting to learn the machine and feel confident in it. I was worried because it took me a little while to get used to the machine....its not really anything like the sovereign. The sov hits and locks on to targets quicker but I can tell the Quattro is a deeper machine and its very good on nickles! I dug one crazy sounding signal and found a piece of chain link fence and then probed the hole and found a nickle. I really like the Quattro and its features. I might still use the sov in some situations and the Quattro in others. I can see one thing...I need a smaller coil. I'm going to do some serious detecting at some older sites this weekend and see what I can come up with. Good luck all. Mark

Mark it is good to hear that you like the Quattro. On the subject of smaller coils I use a Coiltek Joey coil on my Quattro, it is elliptical shaped and 5 inches by 10 inches. It still gets very good depth but is not waterproof. There should be equivalent coils available in your part of the world if you decide against the smaller Minelab coil.
John

Hi Mark, I am glad your liking the Quattro. I use a Coiltek Platypus on mine and have gone as deep as a foot. The Quattro is a seriously deep machine and I use mine especially to comeback to a spot and finish it off. Ok Mark enjoy your Quattro and God Bless.

John Tomlinson,CET
John's Detectors

Hey Mark, so glad you like your new Quatro. I can't remember if your the guy who got the great deal on the used Quatro, I read about earlier or not, but I think your gonna like this machine. I believe the Sovereign is a great machine too, from stories I've heard about it, but I think your gonna like the "user friendly" aspect of the Quatro. I'd still recommend the Andy Sabisch book Mastering the Quatro, just to kind of round things out for you, even though you sound like a very experienced detectorist. He talks about some cross-saving audio things you can do with the different modes that my owners manual with my Quatro, didn't include. Remember too you can "notch" out any number on the numeric scale you don't want to listen too, and "fine tune" it to the numbers that coincide with what your looking for. Man I love that feature, and the depth "does" seem to be very accurate for coin sized objects. Sounds like you had a great day out there and welcome aboard the Quatro "gang". Marc Trainor.

I also just wanted to mention to keep re-doing your "ground balance" from time to time. It can really clean up the noise and make life easier. Sounds like your already "kicking butt" with your new machine. Congratulations! Marc Trainor.