Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro users in PA?

mrburnett

this is my first post to this forum..
I started metal detecting back around 1979 had a compass relic 7 and purchased a fisher 1220X back in the early 80's. I still have the 1220X, but I would like to get a more modern detector.
The 1220X has discriminate but no meter, so I have learned the sounds. Fast forward to now, I have started getting back into detecting and started looking at the new detectors. I have looked at all the mainstream detectors and have read all the reviews, and I have narrowed it down to the Tesoro detectors. I think I am drawn to them due to the simplicity and light weight factors. (I guess they appeal to the purists):clsoedeyes:

I have been looking at the Cibola and the Vaquero.

1. I live in south central PA and I am not sure how mineralized the soil is here and was hoping to
hear from some veteran detectorist from PA on soil conditions.
2. If soil is an issue, should I go for the Vaquero instead of the Cibola so I can ground balance?

Sorry this post is so long :wacko:

Thanks in advance!!!

Mike :pulltab:

Hi Mike, here around the Lancaster area in Pa. the soil isn't too bad. There is a lot of fill in some parks, old farms, etc.which changes the ground balance. For the most around southern Pa. fields and woods the Cibola will work great. If there is a possibility you may start taking the detector on distant hunts such as vacations you will probably find the Vaquero will be worth the additional expense. I did a lot of reading and thinking and just ordered my Vaquero today. Will pick it up at The Treasure Quest Shoppe in Ocean View, De. when I go back down next Tuesday.

travel to a site that has a more pronounced difference in mineralization. To get the best performance in an array of ground mineral environments, a manually ground balanced model would be the way to go.

Also, it is not uncommon for you to note a shift in the GB setting based upon a change in search coils. This is especially true if you go to a larger-than-stock coil because the will 'see' more ground. Again, having a model with manual GB allows the operator to tune the unti for peak performance at any site with any coil.

So, while the Cibola might do fine in many locations, the Vaquero will do well in ALL locations.

Remember to think hard about selecting a smaller coil, too, for versatility.

Monte

Thanks for the replies!

Pap,

I live in Mechanicsburg, Pa a suburb just west of Harrisburg.

Is either the Cibola or Vaquero a decent beach machine, I may try to do some detecting at the Jersey shore maybe once a year...
I have noticed that the zinc pennies that I dig are half eaten away when I pull them out of the ground, is this an indication of
high mineralization?

Thanks again for all the replies!

Mike:pulltab:

I am using my Fisher 1220X now and I have to wonder, will I see much difference by moving to a Tesoro or for that fact any newer machine?
The Fisher has Automatic GB and Discriminate, my biggest issues with the Fisher are the fact that it is VERY noisy. It is HOT on iron, which
means even at higher disc levels I still hear some iron. I search at a low disc level (I dig a lot of pop tops) and even if I raise the disc level to
knock out iron I still hear it, albeit a sputter, which in iron filled areas can be annoying. I would like to reject all iron and dig everything else, if
I want nails I will go to Home Depot!!! Will the Tesoros knock out the iron????

Thanks

Mike:pulltab:

The Cibola should be O.K. in this area for the most part but would opt for the Vaquero if you are willing to spend the extra money. With manual GB you would be covered for that situation where the ground is "hotter" and Fixed GB could have a problem. Both are very good detectors.
For the beach. Well I am guessing you are speaking of the Jersey beaches and while you could hunt the dry sand (blanket areas) the wet sand may pose a problem for either detector as it will for most single frequency units.
The zinc pennies deteriorate due to the ground chemicals and this can happen in most areas. It is not an indicator of "hot" ground.

Pap

I am using my Fisher 1220X now and I have to wonder, will I see much difference by moving to a Tesoro or for that fact any newer machine? ... Yes, most of the Tesoro models handle iron nails much better than most of the 1200-series Fishers. There will be some other audio qualities you'll come to appreciate as well, I am sure.

The Fisher has Automatic GB and Discriminate, my biggest issues with the Fisher are the fact that it is VERY noisy. ... The Fisher actually has a fixed or pres-set Ground balance. "Automatic" was/is a poor choice of terms because it can imply that the circuitry is automatically reading and analyzing and adjusting the GB to the changing conditions. Fisher, White's, Tesoro, Garrett, really all of them have errantly used the term "automatic' for a preset GB model at some time. Present and/or past.

As for being noisy, I agree completely! I always enjoyed my road trips and working shows and such when I would meet up with Jim Lewellyn when he was alive at at the help of Fisher. You just knew he was going to reach in a pocket and pull out a nail to see how a competitor's model handled iron nail rejection. He was a great guy to talk with and discuss detectors with, and like many he wished his Fisher's would have done a better or cleaner job of rejection iron nails.

Now, some people like the Fisher 1236X2 because it did a much better job, and while I thought it could do better, I never felt it was as good in iron nail homesteads, ghost towns, renovation sites, etc., as were the Tesoro Bandido, Bandido II, Silver Sabre II, or even the Bandido II