Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TESORO TEJON

I don't have a Tejon but I've got a tip for you.

Be sure and have fun.

HH,

Are you a coin hunter, relics? What types of hunting do you do?

I primarily use mine for relics. First off, you will need high end, good quality headphones. The Tejon has a language but it is very subtle and you wont be able to hear some of what it can tell you if you have cheap headphones. Set your audio freq at about the 3 o'clock position as iron has a distinctive "snap" or a sharpness to the signal at this setting. Test your machine with a small piece of foil to see where the disc knob knocks it out. On my machine its when I set the pointer on the "L" in "FOIL", but it can vary slightly machine to machine. I set my Alt Disc to "TAB". I rarely use it but its a quick check to see if your target might be a coin. GB using the trigger and not the full-time all metal mode (Disc knob all the way counter clockwise) because the trigger all metal mode is fast-retune speed and the full time all metal mode is slow-retune speed. Its easier to GB with the fast tune. Threshold will be a bit choppy, seems odd at first but you will get used to it. Crank your sens as high as you can until it begins to chirp, then back it down until its quiet, and thats where you should hunt. You may get an occasional pop or snap while hunting, and those are usually targets just below the disc setting. Good targets, that is anything above foil, have a distinctive smoothness to them, a sweet sounding "beep". Junk or odd sized or odd shaped targets can be erratic and dont sound as good.

Large surface target will overload the machine and it will take a second or two to retune itself. You can hurry it along by pulling the all metal trigger. You can also de-tune a large target by re-triggering over the target, just off the center. Repeated attempts will make it smaller and smaller, making it easier to pinpoint. The GB setting is very important. If the machine is not balanced properly you will loose some depth. GB the machine slightly positive, that is, as you lower the coil to the ground you will want an ever so slight increase in audio. Pay no attention to what the machine does on the upward stroke of the GB bobbing actions, its only the downward bob that you need to pay attention to. Check it periodically to be sure the knob has not been bumped or moved (it get moved very easy). Some guys put o-rings under the GB knob.

Coins and buttons will hit hard as deep as 6 or 7 inches so dont be surprised if they sound shallow, they really could be much deeper. The Tejon also hits hard on gold and buttons and coins on edge. Also on very small targets. Oh yes, like every other machine, large pieces of iron may fool you by sounding good. Some times large nails will sound good, but an interesting thing can sometimes happen. On this type of target, you may get a signal you are not sure is good or bad, so you may decide to dig. If your target disappears after you dig your hole, it is nearly always a nail or small piece of iron. The only explanation I can come up with is that once the halo is broken, the machine recognizes it as iron and discrims it out. So if you get a target that "disappears", take one more scoop of dirt out of the hole, just to be sure you didnt tip the target on edge or knock it way deep in the hole, and if you still dont get a signal its probably a piece of iron. You can then switch to all metal pinpoint to locate if you like.

Thats a crash course. Ask questions as you have them, there are some skilled users on this forum. Welcome to the Tesoro family.

Hi,Mate thanks for all the advise.
Coming back to metal detecting after a 6 year break I had a xlt which is a good machine but I needed a detector with no programming, turn on and go and has good depth. I mainly detect on grass fields and farm land.This is why i purchase a Tesoro Tejon
I'm looking forward to using it

I've taken Scully's advice with my Tejon and it works.
You've chose the right machine. Now just learn it and keep us posted on your finds.