Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro info?????

Howdy rebelLT
I've seen you posts on the various forums, and I believe you hail from the same state that I live in, the great state of Kansas. I live on a farm between Caldwell and Wellington Ks. I believe that you will have a hard time finding a Tesoro fitting your specifications. I have not owned any of the newer Tesoros with the exception of the underwater detector.........Tiger Shark. I have the older models, which I have picked up thru the years. I recently bought a older model Pantera, it is a two tone ID with notch discrination. It is one of Monte's picks that he mentioned when asked about what he considered the best tone ID Tesoro model. Monte is a wealth of information, and the Pantera was his pick over the Golden uMax in Tesoros lineup, The only problem is the Pantera has been out of production for nearly 20 years. My Pantera is in good working order and if I have any problems with the machine, it is covered by Tesoros excellent service dept.. I have never used a Golden uMax........and probably never will, as it has no ground balance. I like manual ground balance on all of my machines............and the #1 reason I won't use one is that Monte does'nt like it. HA ha.........ha? I also like the 8 inch brown coil the best, followed by the smaller coils STILL available my old antiquated machines: Bandido (first model) Bandido ll uMax (last of the Bandidos) Toltec ll (analog metered machine) Pantera (two tone ID with notch) and last but not least is my newest model the Tiger Shark (undewater)

I have compared a friend of mine's DeLeon to my Toltec ll long enough to know that I like my old Toltec ll better. I took them side by side on two hunts,and compared signals in the ground, and liked the analog meter on the Toltecll better. The depth of detection is about the same with similar audio signals, but the digital meter was too jumpy for me, one thing I liked about the DeLeon was the on the fly depth meter, it was right on in most cases. I understand that the Cortes is similar to the DeLeon with GB for the allmetal mode only, and has more information filling up what little space is allready a very small digital meter. Well thats it! My two fingers are wore plumb out.Later...............Hombre

Both machines are light weight, easy to use, and have a variety of coil options to choose from. Battery life is bit longer on the Tejon, easily over 30 hours plus on a set of batteries, and depth is better. The Tejon with its higher frequency hits harder on gold and its a killer machine on coins and buttons on edge. Both have a fast retune speed with good head phones you will be able to tell iron targets from good targets just by the sound. Throw in a life time warranty, what more could you ask for? My personal preference would be for the Tejon, under the conditions you listed.

Tejon works fine for me. The two discriminators are better than a meter and it is very fast machine. The clean sweep coil would be fine for the fields. I find little bitty things with my Tejon, not to mention all the c.w. relics.

Tejon is a little heavier than a Vaquero but with longer battery life and that the Tejon balances better than the Vaquero with one of the big coils on it, I'd lean that way too. Keep in mind that you won't have tone ID (as in different beep frequency for different conductive range), but can very quickly determine a range of conductivity with the discriminators.
tvr

Tejon uses 8 AA batteries...but they last a fair while...you have the same selection of coils to choose from as with the Vaquero and the Lobo ST. A nice feature of the Tejon is that you can adjust the tone of the audio signal to suit your own hearing/preference. Great depth, manual GB and lots of goodies.....who could ask for more. Sapper

I vote for the tejon. Since you've owned a 1266. The controls are the same only it's just as deep and better in iron.

I like the Tejon for fields and relic hunting. I use my Vaquero as back up and parks. it too is a very capable detector, but as mentioned above, tone control, dual discrimeter, balancing, etc. gives the Tejon the edge. Good luck

Well after getting use to the ground balance with the vaq I hunt mostly rural area's and old foundations and field area's old fair grounds and get great depth with the vaq but the only down side I will say it does like like iron so sometimes it can be decieving, but still love this machine, that's just my opinion

Thanks for all the replies! I've been looking at all the specs on the various Tesoros and am looking at the Golden Umax based on the cost versus options. Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the euro sabre and golden sabre? I read somewhere that the euro sabre has it discrim patterns set up different for the euro coins? Also a mod question here. I like the tejon's pinpoint switch (all metal, whatever they call it) being on the bottom of the unit, actually on the shaft I believe. It seems that it would be fairly simple to modify any of the umax series by installing a three position toggle switch on the shaft. Has anyone made this mod?

Hay rebelt check out the book Digging by Christian Davis pg#33 Quote:Tesoro Vaquero,Amazing machine which has doubled my finds in the past to years! This machine has superb target response in iron and is fast,he also mentions the Cibola and the Tesoro lineup.He is a well known treasure hunter and is shown on the back of the book with his tesoro Vaquero,with sound amp added to unit.Chucky.