Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tesoro history and quality?

relic-hunter

I admit I am new (fairly to the hobby) but hearing the name tesoro, I didn't recognize it but I just went to their site and browsed through the history, they have been around for a while @ 1980, and they have lifetime warrantys on their products. So I am looking for my first PI detector to get wet here in the coastal beaches of sw FL and the sand shark look pretty comparable to the Sea Hunter by Garrett. I would like some opinions on this machine, and any testimonial here will be as good as one anywhere else on the web. Thanks in advance.

Ken

Thanks to those that have posted about the sand shark. I just order one. Several things turned me onto this brand / model. Lifetime warranty, made right here in the USA, technology and price. So thanks to the people who posted here in the past.

Ken

Howdy relic-hunter
I think you would have had better luck on the beach and water forum,just don't see much about the sand shark on here.I have a tiger shark for fresh water and it's great.Good luck with your sand shark..........Hombre

Relic Hunter, I think you'll find that the Sand Shark will perform flawlessly on your
Florida beaches, with their low mineralization especially. The Tiger will work
somewhat on the wet sand, but like all VLFs it has trouble adjusting to the
capacitance effect of wet salt. It'll work fine in the upper dry sand, though.
Plus, the Tiger has discrimination, the Sand does not. But in wet sand
and surf the PI's work great, since all metal is the mode of choice in wet
sand, anyway. But it's great to be able to have faith in such trustworthy
instruments as Tesoro!:thumbup:
..W

I read that the tiger shark is a vlf machine, and I was certainly looking for a PI machine which from what I read is really the best technology for salt water beaches. I have a VLF machine in my Garrett GTAX 550, and it goes crazy when the sand gets too wet. I am going to keep the 550 for dry hunting, unless I give up on dry hunting altogether. Which is really likely. I still like doing tot lots. They can yield some good finds. And Tesoro is built in the USA and I like that they have such a great warranty and it is a family run business. I like to support the small businesses of America, they deserve it.

Ken

PI is great if you like to dig rusted blobs, bobby pins and ferrous whatsis on a regular basis. Now, if you enjoy moving sand and are looking to buff up in your pursuit of bottlecaps, then the PI is definitely the way to go.
However, if you want to have some way to ID ferrous targets and NOT dig them (in other words, have a choice) then you are out of luck, for the most part, with a PI.
The only thing that will do that reliably in the wet salt sand are the multi-frequency units: Fisher CZ-20/21, Minleab Excalibur and the Whites BHID.
To date, no one else has them.
PI's are at their best in the cleaner environment of the marine diving world. At the shoreside, I would always suggest a multifreq unit.

:detecting: If your not afraid of sharks, the third trough is where to hunt with a PI machine. Bill In Texas

Bill in Texas said:
:detecting: If your not afraid of sharks, the third trough is where to hunt with a PI machine. Bill In Texas
...and you are one mis-step away from needing dive gear. The bonus? That deep in the mine and there is less trash, so good point by BIll.

I used to live in Jax, FL and have seen the sharks lurking behind the wave line - if you are not afraid of them, I worry about you.