Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tesoro discrimination

dirthound

Hello all, I was out detecting today with my bandido 2 umax and I got a strong singnal that could not be nocked out buy the discriminator, so I dug it up and it was a big piece of led,about10-12 oz I think it was led ,and the same thing happend to me yesterday with my lobo supertraq, when I got home I checked both peices with a garrett 350 and it showed them both as trash.Why would the tesoros show them as good targets? Is it because the tesoros run at a higher frequency? Any ideas? thank you dirthound

Not sure how sensitivity and threshold were set but if they were both cranked up the discriminator might not knock things out quite as well, especially on large targets. My Cibola with the threshold set high in super tuned mode starts to not discriminate real well, I haven't run the Tejon that hot to see if it does that too.

Personally, I don't consider lead trash, not at 80 cents or so a pound at the scrap dealer. I keep a box that lead goes into and every so often I take it in to the scrap dealer.

My Tejon, which is the highest operating frequency detector I have does hit stronger on lead than any of my other detectors. Could be a factor.
tvr

The Vaquero does the same thing on large Iron. I've been told it has something to do with the size of the target over saturating the recieve circuits. It would be nice to have a a Iron blocking circuit, or some way to completely eliminate it at some sites.

I've used a variety of machines over the years and so far have found that even very good discrimination circuitry will often be over ridden by large volumes of some metals, for instance much easier to tune out foil or pull tabs than full sized aluminum drink cans that are fairly close to the coil.
HH
BB

I agree with BB - and one aspect is Tesoro does have very good discrimination within it's discrimination circuit capability / limitation.

Hi There
I own the Vaq, you should be glad you could not disc out a 10-12 ounce piece of metal, you say this could be lead, you will find the same occurs with large iron,even a large ball of foil fools the detector and will not disc out. The Disc out is at the end of the day only a guide. If you get shall we say a fainter hit on a target, and you use Disc and the target is gone, you may not of disced out the target, only cut down on your max depth, More Disc you use less depth you will get.In short any iffy target you have i dig down an inch or so, if its good it should go louder.
Seems with this hobby we all have, more we learn more there is to learn,

Regards
Dave.............

Lead is one of the most heaviest,densist metals there is,Look here in Charleston,SC,Lead is a part of the routine,for instance,musket balls,i find dateing to Indian War period,Revolution,Civil War period,and now gang wars,your gonna,and want to find your bullets,I Basically will be Relic hunting while coin hunting,With Disc set to tab range,you are deffinantly going to find bullets,they can sound of,stock coil,deeper than a coin.Also will be locating,buttons at same time due to density and make of buttons,sometimes when you kook at a button,looks like a coin right,same thing to a detector.Chuck.