Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tenn. CSA Cavalry Camp Finds

VOL1266X

Dman and I hit a CSA Cavalry Camp last week where a brigade of Confederates spent several weeks. This is a new site for us so it took a while to figure out the camp layout. Dman found 5 .44 cal. Colt pistol bullets practically in one hole. The soldier emptied his cylinder and reloaded. We could not find the 6th bullet. He did find a nice nipple protector made out of a .58 3 ringer. My best find was the bottom of a brass stirrup. Hopefully, we will have more items this week. HH from Tennessee and thanks for looking!!!

Might not have been a 6Th. Have you ever carried one with the hammer resting on the cap of a live cylinder? Disaster waiting to happen as it doesn't take much to set it off!! I have seen them go off with the hammer falling no more than the distance from where it was resting on the cylinder between caps down to a cap, a distance of maybe a 1/16 of an inch. I have a few reproductions that I enjoy shooting and also take hunting, I would never cary one unless the hammer was resting on an empty cylinder, I would rather have 5 shots AND a leg!! HH Joe

hey, it looks to be a really good spot, 1266x! i don't know how i missed your post. ya'll have some nice relics and bullets there! woohoo! hit it hard! there's more there. can't wait to see your posts. hh,

ngrelic said:
Why would you get ran off?
We had permission to hunt where we found the relics. Previously, I called a guy who owned 10 acres adjacent to the land where we found the relics. He even told us who owned the place where we found the camp and how to contact them. He said that we could hunt on his 10 acres adjacent to the camp. Last Wed., we stooped at his trailer because his truck was there but nobody would come to the door. Since he had given us permission over the phone, we went onto his land and began to hunt. About 5 mins. later, he came out yelling and screaming and ran us off. We could not get a word in to tell him that he had given us permission, we had tried to see him, etc. I called a friend who lived close to him and had told me how to contact him. My friend THEN told me the guy was a NUT and was not mentally stable. He said the guy probably did not even remember our phone call. I believe if the guy had a gun-he would have shot us. Relic hunting can be dangerous business-even if you have permission!!! I pity the next relic hunters who ask to relic hunt there or think that he has given them permission.

yeah i had a place i hunted for years when my grandmother was still alive. sadly after she passed so did my ever producing yankee/confederate camp. boy was is it goodie. I Also had permission for 4 more houses next to hers in this area and the relics stretched from one to the others. so as i find out who the new homeowners are, we strike up conversation and he is interested, followed by 'sure you can look whenever". good deal, that weekend i'd go back. so he wasn't there, but his wife was. ouch! she comes out screaming and then calms down (TALK ABOUT MENTALLY UNSTABLE) then she says ok, you may hunt til dark, but after that no more. ok i thought, no problem. so as i am about 15 mins hunting, a sherriff's deputy walks up and asks me if i know what it means to trespass, etc. i explained the husband ok-ing me and then her screaming, but, ok-ing me as well as long as i go and never come back after tongiht. Needless to say he laughed and agreed about what i called her...and i apologized to him, left the bullet in the ground (just about turned the plug over to retrieve it) and was on my merry way. so, guys, maybe someone needs to write a book on what not to do and how to avoid head/mental cases in regards to our passion/hobby. LOLOOLOL!
HH