Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Teknetics Delta 4000 11"DD Coil

texasyankee

Is upgrading to the 11" DD Coil on my Delta 4000 worth the investment? If so, any suggestions for the best place to purchase?

Definitely worth the upgrade.

I wrote a blog post about the benefits of a DD coil: http://www.hollandsbrook.com/blog/dd-coil-vs-concentric/

You can buy from me, I'm a sponsor here on the forum. Here's the direct link:

http://www.hollandsbrook.com/coils/teknetics-greek-coils/teknetics-11-dd-coil/

Cheers,
Marc

Hi Marc
Thank you for responding to my message and thank you for your blog it was very helpful. I sent you a email off the blog about purchasing the 11" DD Coil.

Barry

texasyankee said:
Is upgrading to the 11" DD Coil on my Delta 4000 worth the investment? If so, any suggestions for the best place to purchase?
This is a broad-based question because the post reader doesn't know where your live and hunt, or the type of ground you are dealing with.

Also missing is information about the type of detecting you do, be it for typical urban coin sites, farm field, iron-littered ghost towns or homesteads, sports-fields, etc., etc.
I'll add another dimension in consideration and that is how often you opt to search in a traditional All Metal mode Vs hunting in the Discriminate mode.

Finally, I'll presume you're using the turn-on-and-go Delta with the stock round 8" search coil. This leaves me wondering why you think a larger size coil of a different configuration (Double-D Vs Concentric) is something that might be helpful for your hunting needs? Also, if you hunt in any trashier sites, do you have or have you considered a smaller-size search coil? I have used smaller-than-stock coils for the majority of my 48 years of detecting.

As for where to purchase an accessory search coil, my suggestion would be to try and locate a local dealer who stocks what you need. Visit them and try an accessory coil on your detector first to make sure it provides the performance you're looking for. I can't tell you how many times I have acquired a coil in the past that fell way short of what I imagined (or heard rumored) it would do, and t this day I meet many people who buy a coil w/o checking it out first, only to be discouraged.

If I still had a extra 11" DD I'd make you a heck of a deal on it, but I haven't been thrilled with the performance compared to other coils for my types of sites and hunting needs and I sold all my 11' DD coils. On my G2 I like the sub-5" round DD, and for open area searches I prefer the solid 5X10 DD to the 11+" DD. On my Omega I like the stock 5

Monte
I am very knew to this sport, so I am pretty ignorant to most of what you have shared with me, but have a desire to learn. I live in North Texas, we are in a pretty bad drought so I would like to hunt the dried up lake and river beds beds, which as you know is littered with human trash. sports fields, hiking trails and the like. Yes my Delta 4000 has a 8" coil. I don't know if a larger size is what I need honestly, based on where I will be hunting. I had a MD as a younger man back east and enjoyed hunting the ocean beaches with not allot of luck, but I had fun anyway. So I am learning I have allot to learn and maybe I should just take my Delta 4000 with the 8" coil and have at it. While I continue to do my homework hear as well as other locations and get some knowledge. There is not any MD dealers in this town, the closest I believe is Dallas, 2.5 hrs away.
Thank you very much for responding to my question and sharing some pointers about coils and the like with me.

Barry

Monte Berry, that is, and you'll know my posts as I just use my name .... 'Monte.'

I strongly urge you to only use youir Delta with the stock 8" coil. It will work just fine. Then, if you find yourself hunting trashier sites, the coil that I would pick would be the 5" DD to get in and around the junk.

In its class the Delta w/8" can be a very capable detector. Good luck working those drought level lakes and such.

[Monte

Hello Mr. Monte Berry
Thank you so much for being patient with this beginner. I think you have given me some great advice. Well as crazy as it sounds we now have snow and ice here in Texas, so not sure how that effects hunting but I guess I will find out. When I feel I am ready for the 5" coil. I will gladly purchase it from you. My understanding is you are in the business but gracefully have not tried to sell me anything but offered info, and I appreciate that.

Thanx again
Barry

I always hope it helps people learn a little here and there so that they might enjoy this great sport as I have, and do.

Monte

Thanks Monte. Lot of good info. I too opted for the 5x10 DD on my Delta 4000. Everything you say is true in my area.