Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon or X3 for relics

ghzcss

I am looking for a good machine that is light enough for my daughter to use coin hunting with me. But, I want it to be a good relic machine also. So, I can use it to go relic hunting. Which detector would be the best choice here. The Tejon or X3. Can't really afford the X5. That is why I am looking at the X3. Plus, it is simpler for my daughter to use. I would appreciate any feedback(good or bad) from anyone who now has or has had either machine.

How old is your daughter?

I believe the X-3 is lighter than the Tejon. However, if you plan on hunting in severe mineralization with changing ground conditions you may want to look at the Vaquero.

She is 12 soon to be 13. To be totally honest. I don't really know the groud mineralization conditions. I currently live in Kentucky moving to Tennessee in the next month or two. That is where I plan to relic hunt. In middle Tennessee. I do not think the mineralization will be bad there. Considering it is not in the mountain area. And, there is no mining in the area I know of. I was wanting the Tejon or X3 because of the higher frequency. I have a DFX and an M6. So, I was wanting a frequency spread to be sure the detectors don't interfer with each other. Plus, greater sensitivity to gold. Thanks for any input!!

Mike,

I use the X-5, and to be honest, I don't know the differences between it and the X-3. But, if the X-3 is anything like the X-5, it will be one heck of a machine. I've been using my X-5 for two years now, and I am extremely pleased with it's depth (with standard 9 in. coil) and it's sensitivity. Bullets from Jenkins Ferry at 12+ inches. Plus, it is very light (especially having used the CX III prior to this machine).

Good luck on your selection.

Take Care,

Kim

But soley use the X5. It is built way better. I believe the X5 is a bit lighter also. They both offer a bit different things. Utimately it is your descision. I'd probably let the price I could get a used one at be your guide.

John

Hello Mike....I totally agree with John in Florida. The Vaquero is a solid, deep seeking, and light detector with a 3 3/4 turn ground balance control, and HOT (High Output Technology) circuitry that amplifies the signal going out of the machine to help overcome the normal signal loss of most detectors caused by the ground conditions. The result is more signal coming back into the processor which translates to deeper targets, and better ground mineralization handling. In addition, it weighs only 2.2 lbs!!! Vaquero is lightning fast in response recovery from null (bad target) to positive (good target), allowing good finds right next to bad ones. The Vaquero is easy to learn, and an excellent choice for your daughter.

Get your daughter an Ace 250, about $200. Light, easy on the pocketbook and easy to use, fairly deep and has target ID and is just fun to use - she'll love it (and you may too). Then get yourself the relic machine you decide on. No one detector is built for everyone.
BTW, the X5 and X3 aren't being made anymore. You may find one still available at a dealer, but no new ones are being manufactured. Troy is working on his next model.

Yes....the ACE 250 is a tremendous value for the dollar, and she will love the way it looks and feels. It does work well, and it does have a target ID. However, teach her to listen to the tones first and only confirm the good or baD target with the Target ID. The language of the machine (sounds/tones) should always be the first line of identification, the Target ID a confirmation. Good Luck, and Good Hunting.

I do believe that the ground 'noise' factor of the Tejon would confuse and or discourage any new user of a detector. Good luck!

The Ace 250 is a good machine. But, I had one and did not like it. Just not a Garrett fan. No offense. Everyone is telling me to go with either the Cibola or Vaquero. I have not owned a Tesoro since the late 80's. So, I am not sure what they are like now.

Hello Mike, not that I'm an all out Minelab fan, but have you had a look at the X Terra 30 or 50? Some of my aquaintances have them, and the new X Terra 70 just out, and love them. Good depth, fairly stable machines, a range good prices, you pay less over there than we do here! Not as up market as some of the other models, like your Quattro or Explorers, but they'll do a good job for your daughter. Personally, I wouldn't spend too much, until she's shown a real avid interest that's consistant, and if she picks it up, then you have the option of trading in for another model. Check them out on the Minelab website. You may get a good deal, with a few extras thrown in.
My two cents worth!
HH Angela:detecting::)

There is no such thing as "ground noise" when hunting with a Tejon. However, the Tejon will absolutely smoke an X3 when it comes to relic performance. I would think your daughter would be better off initially with a Shadow X2 or Silver Sabre, etc. Once she learns and needs a better machine, I would certainly consider the Tejon then. HH

Good to see ya around. Yea, that probably was a poor choice of words, but I ain't much of a techy. I suppose the noise (ticks, pops and chatter) has something to do with the high gain, which is not a bad thing for extreme depth. But, a friend here had one. Down here we have a mixture of very good ground and a few miles later, you can get yourself into some pretty mineralized soil.

Now remember, I have been use to hunting with older Tesoros and other brands of machines that hunt relatively quiet and I like that. The Tejon did a lot of chattering even in the good soil we hunted. That might be OK for some, but I just prefer to have a silent running maching...almost silent. I was supposing that a new hunter would get confused by the false signals, chattering or whatever you want to call it. If I was to buy a new Tesoro, it would either be the Vaquero or Cibola...most likely the Vaquero with the GB. Hope all is well with you and family....Mike

If you have the Tejon set up correctly and ground balanced properly, it is quiet. You want (or at least I want) some chatter and pop on nails, etc. Without the pops and clicks, you can walk right through a virgin camp very easily without hitting a good target. The chatter makes you slow down and has found many a camp that way. HH

I do want a little chatter when I go over nails and other small iron trash Richard. That is why I said 'almost' silent. That is how I set the discrimination on any machine I use if digging for relics. The Tejon was doing some other clicking and chattering that was not associated with iron or any metal targets. That is what I did not like about it. We backed off on the sensitivity until it seemed stable, but it would still intermitently chatter somewhat. Now if you scanned over a target, you definately could hear the target. Maybe it was the two or three areas we hunted that day (But I don't think so)or possibly there was something wrong with his machine. I have heard many others say they have had similar experiences withthe Tejon and that is why I would most likely buy the Vaquero which according to some others runs much smoother with very little if any loss of depth performance.

I would say for her ,100% on the ace 250. Great machine for the money . I have a CZ5 and a cibola and my friend with a 250 almost keeps up with me. It has a ton of bang for the buck. I bought my father one and he really likes it. The cibola is also a good buy to look into . Good luck and HH. :usaf:

Thanks for everyones help. Ended up buying a Cibola and we love it. The pinpointing takes a little getting used to but, works great and very, very deep. Very surprising for such a inexpensive unit. Smokes the Ace 250 I used to have. The Ace 250 is a good machine for the money. But, other than the Cibola not having the VDI. There is no comparison between the two as for as my experience.