Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tejon or lobo deeper for gold?

sling

so if i wanna find thin mediaval goldcoins wich one you recommand?
its question for uk guys mainly because there is a lot of gold coin .

the Lobo st is the better detector out of the two to use in the UK.
you can find gold coins over here with any detector,i have had gold coins with the Silver sabre plus the Lobo st and the Minelab Exploder and my friends have had them with the Cibola and the Hawkeye (that's your Deleon).
Last year i detected with some good detectorists from the USA i had the Lobo st and my friend had the Tejon i had a Gold George the 3rd coin and my friend had a Gold ring, this year i had a Gold Edward the 3rd Quarter Noble and my friend had a nice Roman broach. You have to swing your detector over it to find it.
Over here most coins are found on the surface of a field down to about six inches.

PS I personally found that the Lobo st worked better in the scrap iron better that the Tejon and the Tejon worked better in a clean field (a field with less iron in it) than the Lobo st.
i hope that this helps all the best Les in the UK.

The modern jewelery is absolutelly a different thing than old gold coins because the mediaval golds have much higher gold % so they are lower conductors.If you check your unit with your goldring it doesnt mean it will catch the old stuffs as well.

http://home.planet.nl/~tolsm031/Engels/frameengels.htm

look at those guys!
everyone has the lobo.
do you think its an advertise or they just like it ?

It's an Edward the 3rd Quarter Noble. I have found the Lobo st to be a great detector for the old coins that i search for and i would recomend it to people that want to find small Celtic and Roman coins on fields with a lot of small iron nails or lots of broken bits of iron on them. I can see why so many people think that they are a good detector as they have found some great coins.
You are quite right about the modern gold some detectors wont pick it up or they disc it out on the iron setting.

n/t

Les when hunting with the Lobo you are hunting in discrimination and in discrimination you have a fixed GB correct? This would seem to indicate to me the Cibola should work pretty well over there as well.
Pap

Can i have a request Les?
Test the vaquero or cibola in ground if you have with old gold coin when they start to reject the gold.Other words what is the maximum disc level i can still pick up mediaval gold with?
thanks in advance!

The best way to set the detectors disc up in the UK is to set it to knock out iron nails and dig all targets after that, i have found that on the Lobo st if i set the disc at 2,1/2 i knock out the iron nails and find gold coins but if i set the disc to 3 or above i then start lose depth on the small gold coins that i look for.

On the Cibola i have found the best setting to set the disc at when looking for celtic and roman coins is to set the discrimination to just below the iron mark for fields with not that much scrap iron in them and just above the iron mark for fields with lots of scrap iron in them.
for me i find that Less disc = more finds and more disc = less finds

the circuitry. Both the Lobo and Tejon are great machines for gold. In fact, almost all VLF machines do well with gold.

There are two essential differences in the Lobo and Tejon. First the Lobo has automatic ground balance in all-metal mode only. The Tejon has manual ground balance in both all-metal and discrimination modes.

If you hunt in discrimination mode and ground minerals are a problem the Tejon will far surpass the Lobo in discrimination mode for that reason and another. Second, the Tejon has a "hotter" receive circuitry than the Lobo. This "hotter" receive plus the manual ground adjust makes the Tejon the best Tesoro made today for any type of dry land detecting(in my opinion). Also it's use of the old Fisher dual discrimination idea is supreme in my estimation.

Like you stated, the big thing is to get that coil over the target. Most any toy detector can make great finds if they're shallow and the coil is run over them. I know of a guy who dug a rare U.S. $5 gold piece with a toy detector.

People today put way too much emphasis on brands and gimmicks. The really important things are research and work.