Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tejon or Cibola ?

Hi all , I'm a new member to this forum and a fairly new member to the metal detecting community ( I started up this spring- and thouroghly enjoy it) . I own two Tesoros - a Cortez and a Tigershark. I love my Cortez (and Tigershark for that matter), but I seem to get a lot of chatter with my Cortez when I search trashy sites even with my discrimination maxed out and I end up digging alot of trash per coin that I dig. Sometimes I get a good reading and dig a plug , and then the signal isn't in the plug or the hole - it just vanishes. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem or has advice on how to solve this problem? Now on with my subject matter - I was thinking of purchasing one more detector for my arsenal and I've read good reviews on both the Tejon and the Cibola. If any of you own one or both of these machines - I would greatly appreciate any input you could offer me on which one would find the deepest coins while handling trashy areas and is the best buy for my buck. Thank You for any advice given! Sincerely , Tesoro-CoinShooter

Tesoro-CoinShooter said:
Hi all , I'm a new member to this forum and a fairly new member to the metal detecting community.
[size=large]Welcome to the hobby and to this forum. As you learn your detectors, you might want to review past discussions of topics you have interest in learning, as well as post new questions. You'll find that there are a number of experienced hobbyists on here who are unselfish about spending time to help others enjoy this great sport.[/size]

Tesoro-CoinShooter said:
I own two Tesoros - a Cortez and a Tigershark. I love my Cortez (and Tigershark for that matter), but I seem to get a lot of chatter with my Cortez when I search trashy sites even with my discrimination maxed out and I end up digging alot of trash per coin that I dig.
[size=large]Three things are obviously missing so far as information is concerned.

Hay Tesoro-CoinShooter,

Welcone to the forum.

If I were you, I would read Monte's post more than once.

I have a fealing that your Cortez is not ground balanced properly.

The motion discreminate mode has a factory set ground balance.

You could have loss of performance with the Cibola because of

the same reason. Although the Cibola is pretty stable, it can

loose performance if not ground balanced properly. Cibola also

has a factory GB.

That's why Monte said the Vaquero would be better. It has

manual GB.

Tejon has more performance and features.

I like the analog style of hunting that Tesoro'es

offer. I also like the light weight and their sensativity to

....GOLD....

I got away from displays and don't miss them.

I would like to have a Tejon. Have not used one yet.

But I have owned a Cibola and now own a Vaquero

and three other Tesoro'es.

Happy Hunting,

Tabdog

I am copying and pasting Monte's comments into a document of observations, hints and advice to re-read periodically. I agree with the recommendation of the Tejon with one reservation; the Cibola is really light. I have a 5.75 concentric coil on its way that is going on the Tejon for the trashy areas. That may cause me to grab the Tejon for more work that the Cibola now gets ... time and my weak elbow will tell.

Hi Monte. Thanks for your fast response and great advice to my questions! Unfortunately I don't have as much time to detect as I would like because I work 50-60 hours a week as a machinist. In regards to my missing information - 1. I live in Northern Wisconsin with fairly high mineralized soil and dry because of not much rain this summer. 2. The sites I'm referring to are my Dad's and my own yard which are next door to each other and have houses dating to the late 1800's. (I have found several wheaties 1910's-1950's , a token that looks like a washer with a reeded edge that reads good for 5 cents in trade (for what I have no idea) , a silver Rosey , and a silver wartime nickle.). 3. I'm mostly using the standard coil that came with the Cortez , but I also have the 4" coil. 4. I usually run my sensitivity between 5-7. I'm very new to this enjoyable hobbie and I have a lot to learn , so I appreciate advice from people who have been at it for a long time. I know I should seek out different sites , but I want to learn my detectors well before I try new sites. I have tried some of my favorite trout fishing spots and have found a silver washinton quarter , a silver rosey and some wheats. I've also tried my grandparents old cabin 30 miles from my house which my aunt now ownes and found a 1920 merc , 2 silver rosies and a few wheats. Funny thing with me is I've played bass in a classic rock band for 7 years and have no shyness about getting in front of people and playing music , but when it comes to knocking on a strangers door to ask them if I can metal detect in their yard I just can seem to bring myself to do that. This winter I plan to research my area to try to find some productive hunting sites for next season. One last thing before I go - You recommend that I trade my Cortez in for a Tejon and to get away from T.I.D. detectors? Thanks again on your very insitefull information. Best regards and keep the good finds coming , Craig

tvr said:
I have a 5.75 concentric coil on its way that is going on the Tejon for the trashy areas. That may cause me to grab the Tejon for more work that the Cibola now gets ... time and my weak elbow will tell.
[size=large].. I know about pain and body parts that don't work like they did when I was younger. While the Tej

Monte,
Fully agree on sweep speed. I am a lot slower now than two years ago when I started and focus on slowing sweep at end of swing. Feel I miss less good stuff now too. I have found that if I can raise the cup on the shaft to be just below the elbow hinge, there is less torque on the elbow too. The Tejon looks like I will need to take apart and maybe lengthen the battery wires to put the support cup where I want it. I hear you on heavy not being the only factor. I have a Sandshark and with the control box clipped behind the upper part of the shaft, it balances at the front part of the s-bend in the handle and produces almost no elbow torque. I may have to play with adding weights in the right places on other detectors.

I kind of got off topic for this thread. Sorry about that.
Always enjoy reading the wealth of information here.
Cheers!
tvr