Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

tejon at the beach?

DigginMike

Going to the NC beach next week and taking the Tejon-

So I have a 10x12 widescan, and stock and 575 concentric coils. Am presupposing the widescan and maybe the wet sand can be nullified some by the ground balance. Any other tricks, or should I leave the machine at home and just look for shark's teeth? Thanks a lot.

Take that Bad boy ( I used my silver-U-Max on dry and wet sand ) and 1 other unit on the beach at wrightsville and atlantic beach nc in the last 3 wks it worked just great and it even worked in the wet salt sand ( not h2o salt ) My H2O unit produced less than expected! Just watch that wet stuff!!! found a lot of coins and some silver . I dug only 2 pieces of trash with my silver and used al-met and discrim !!! gottit

I have been using my Silver Sabre U Max at the beach since I had to send my Garrett Infinium back a second time. Even though the Silver Sabre is ten or more years old it works like a champ. I would not hesitate to use your machine at the beach.....

I can't get close to the wet sand here in NJ with my Tejon, but in the dry and semi-wet, it works very well. Put the 5.75 concentric on and even though it's small, it will find small gold rings, pendants, even chains in the dry. You will pick up LOTS of small foil too, but that's the price you pay for hunting the small gold.

By all means take the T down there and try the widescan in the wet sand...you may be able to ground balance and go on your way.

I can GB my Tejon in the wet here but that's not really what this machine was bulit for.

Whatever you do...HAVE FUN.

therover said:
I can't get close to the wet sand here in NJ with my Tejon, but in the dry and semi-wet, it works very well. Put the 5.75 concentric on and even though it's small, it will find small gold rings, pendants, even chains in the dry. You will pick up LOTS of small foil too, but that's the price you pay for hunting the small gold.

By all means take the T down there and try the widescan in the wet sand...you may be able to ground balance and go on your way.

I can GB my Tejon in the wet here but that's not really what this machine was bulit for.

Whatever you do...HAVE FUN.

therover, where abouts in NJ are you hunting? I hunt Ocean County beaches and I have the 10X12 on my Tejon and its fine on the wet sand. To get it to operate this way though I have to turn the disc up to just below nickle so the smaller gold isnt gonna come in but most rings still will. Also you cant be touching the wet sand with the coil, it will false every time that way, just slightly above is the way to do it. Even with the stock coil it will work but not as well as with the 10X12, theres a little more popping with the concentric coil.

Mike take your Tejon and give it a shot, use the disc to compensate for the wet sand and another thing I do is get rid of the coil cover eliminating the possibility of water/sand getting in and causing problems. Try different sweep speeds and so forth, I would guess you can get it to work.
Another thing to do if you doubt its performance in the wet sand, take a gold ring with you, tie some fishing string on it, and bury it 8" or so and see if you can locate it with the Tejon.

Good hunting!
Neil

Mostly Seaside, Avon, Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, etc.

Thing is, I have a BHID300, DP Wader, had and Excal, so when I used the T with the stock coil and could not get it to GB, I really didn't want to try upping the discrim to a point where most gold won't hit just to get it stable. Since I have dedicated beach machines, I just put the T away when I wanted to hunt the wet sand and suds.

I hear ya about the coil hitting the sand and keeping it above.

But...in the dry, the T is a killer machine and I have hit some deep low conductive targets with it. If any gold is under the dry, the T will find it. And it ground balances great in the dry with no problems.

Picture is of 10K Tejon find in the Outer Banks. A bit sand blasted by the beach, but still pretty.
Take the Tejon hunting!
In the wet black sand areas I couldn't get properly ground balanced. With the large coil it took a huge hit on depth over the real black sand, but could still find targets. Smaller coil does better in those conditions; but most of my time was actually with the 3.6 x 18 clean sweep learning the set up and how to handle the conditions. Add in discrimination and reduce sensitivity to help.
Where the sand is less black, lower the discrimination, recheck ground balance and turn up the sensitivity.
Enjoy!
tvr

therover said:
Mostly Seaside, Avon, Belmar, Pt. Pleasant, etc.

Thing is, I have a BHID300, DP Wader, had and Excal, so when I used the T with the stock coil and could not get it to GB, I really didn't want to try upping the discrim to a point where most gold won't hit just to get it stable. Since I have dedicated beach machines, I just put the T away when I wanted to hunt the wet sand and suds.

I hear ya about the coil hitting the sand and keeping it above.

But...in the dry, the T is a killer machine and I have hit some deep low conductive targets with it. If any gold is under the dry, the T will find it. And it ground balances great in the dry with no problems.

Yeah man, you move around abit doent you. I was at Seaside this morning, that place is getting hammered with hunters and toss in cooler temps, man we could use a good month of 90 degree weather couldnt we?
I can ground balance it in the dry sand well also but forget the wet sand, I dont think theres enough range for our beaches. I tried the Tiger Shark years ago and it balanced well in the wet salt sand but the coverage was terrible. Really need to use either the 12X10 or the cleansweep that tvr mentions or your not covering enough beach.
HH
Neil

What we need is a nice storm. Haven't seen a cut in ages. Got some clad and junk jewelry last weekend at low tide, prior to the crowds coming in. Was using my PI so I got lots of junk too. Sometimes that big coil on the BHID starts to wear me down, but the coverage is great. When I switch to a detector with an 8 inch coil I feel that sometimes I am not covering as much as I want to, but it is easier to swing and pin points better.

Next week it looks like low tide may be later in the day, so I may take a shot down after work and hunt until dark. At least there won't be that many people on the beach then.

Maybe we can meet up one day.

John

Take it, use it, love what you find with it. You'll cream it in the dry sand...take heed what Neil said for wet sand..

One of the first comments in this thread re: a Silver uMax in wet sand was surprising. I loved mine but it went nuts chattering on a dry, sandy [yellow] Costa Rican beach. I gave up after 15 minutes.....quite disappointed,

In the States,[ including Hawaii ] I had no problem in dry sand....never worked the water line much. Waikiki is thoroughly worked on a regular basis. I found 46 cents, while drooling at what one guy was pulling outta the water. No mistake, all the good stuff is in the water,

Now, I'm wondering what the most effective and least expensive 'turn on/go" unit for by passing salt & mineralization would run?