Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

TDK WR700 impressions

glenmaki

I recently got a pair of WR700's, I have only used them for a short test so far. They seem to be good quality. They come with all the adapters needed to hook to your X-Terra, batteries and a pouch for the phones. I would suggest getting a 90 degree 1/4 to 1/8 adapter, comes with a straight one. It comes with a 2" long 1/8 extension which was perfect for getting the transmitter in a good spot to Velcro on to the control head. I used a 90 degree adapter which I already had, keeps all the parts a little more tucked in plus I don't think the extension is long enough with out it to mount the transmitter to the control head.
I plugged the transmitter in and turned everything on and the phones connected no problem. The sound seems really good, had to turn them down quite a bit. I have the volume all the way up on the detector. They have a much better sound quality than the wired phones I was using, cheap Sony's. I ended up turning the threshold down several notch's also. These are on ear phones so some may find them uncomfortable, they did not bother me but I have not used them for a long period yet. The ear cups are soft and the phones are light so I don't anticipate any problem. The volume button is a large toggle which is easy to operate with gloves, no separate volume for each side though. I had read someone had trouble turning them off, you just have to hold the power button until it lights solid and then release, one on the phones and one on the trans. Wireless is the way to go for me!
I will add to this when I have a chance to use them for a longer period, hopefully in a few days. Pics also maybe later today.
Glen

Lag time is what I'm interested in hearing about. I tried several wireless setups before setteling on the Auvio's that I now use. BlueTooth had great sound quality, but I couldn't live with the lag. Since the TDK's and the Auvio's both utilize KLEER technology, there may well not be any lag ( I hope not).

No lag that I could tell, should be the same as the Auvio's, like you said the same technology.

Here are some pics, also with my scoop mounted and stand.

[attachment 228030 IMG_54581024x768.JPG][attachment 228028 IMG_54551024x768.JPG][attachment 228029 IMG_54561024x768.JPG]

The worst part of that setup, is the inability to use a conventional control head cover.
A longer extension that allows the transmitter to be velcro'd to the shaft is what I've found to work well.

Old lonhair, as they say " It never rains in southern California", seriously I don't plan to be out when its wet and if I do I will just use a ziplock bag. The way it is mounted I can see the light on the power button and its easy to turn on and off.
Glen

glenmaki said:
Old longhair, as they say " It never rains in southern California", seriously I don't plan to be out when its wet and if I do I will just use a ziplock bag. The way it is mounted I can see the light on the power button and its easy to turn on and off.
Glen

Thank you very much for that very good report on the TDK WR700 wireless headphones. Do keep us updated on the progress of them. Now I feel like buying a pair for myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pyC7WnvLT4
I also had long hair and got my first metal detector in about 1973-4. I went on holidays to California since 1968, my aunt had and still has 2 acres there, she turned 90 and still lives on the same property.

I have spent some more time with the headphones and overall I really like them. The only slight issues with them is that they are on ear style, not quite as comfortable as over ear and I like to wear a wide brim hat so I prefer behind the head style. I have added a strap and am able to wear them behind the head, strap over the top of my head. Sound is great and no lag. I am thoroughly enjoying going wireless, no ripping the phones off my head or the plug out of the machine. can set the machine down and walk away without a thought, no cords to tangle or break. I am going to look into modifying them to over ear, not imperative but I want to give it a shot. I think they are a good option if you are having a hard time finding the Auvios.
Glen

Glen,
Thanks for the writeup on the TDK's. I believe you have about the same issues with the TDK's as I have had with the Auvio's that I found at RS a few weeks ago. Agree that there is no lag time with the Kleer wireless technology, quality of sound is good, and I too found the 'on the ear' headphones somewhat uncomfortable (especially when worn for more than a short time).

I have thought about finding another set of comfortable 'over the ear' headphones and doing a swap out of the Auvio 'innards' and just cut the wire off! However, seems like a lot of trouble to go through and would have to deal with the on/off switch and the volume controller. This is probably a great manufacturing opportunity for someone with the knowledge and desire.

My opinion in summary:
-UR-30's - good sound, comfortable over the ear, no volume adjustment, a bit loose fitting, but wired.
-Auvio's - good sound, a bit uncomfortable on the ears, volume adjustment (one control for both L&R) and wireless.
Neither is the idea set-up for me.

I will probably just carry both with me and swap out whenever one or the other becomes a bit toublesome or when the situation dictates using only the wireless Auvios.

I've been tossing around an idea Of modifying another set of my thunder 29 ear muffs with the TDK 700 components installed
inside for a few months now! My best Headphone Mod I use is still my Koss UR 30 mod as shown in the link below...I use a
vintage detector that has a Volume Knob so they work Great and I usually have to turn them down, Not so with the Rat
Phones I had as well as other name brand headphones...
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1591257,1619163#msg-1619163

I have seen your mods before, very nice. After looking at the TDKs I was thinking of cutting hole the size of the ear cup mounting surface into the back of some over ear headphones. Then glue them in so all the controls would still be accessible and the parts do not need to be removed from original phones.
Glen

Now Thats an Idea I never thought of! Would definitively be simpler!!......
Doug

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1591257,1704295#msg-1704295

Yeah I agree with longhair, I have the Auvio 33-283s and they work great, they do hurt my ears after a while because I have small ears and they hit them in bad spots. I also have 2 Tao Tronics BT transmitters, they were $23 ea. and I have the Motorola S9 I think now they sell S10s BT headset I have had for over 2 years That I bought to use with my phone and my PC, they are the behind the head over the ear and into the ear type. Comfort was great sound is great. They do have lag and the BT transmitters unpair themselves when you turn the MD off to dig targets. They stay paired and work fine other than the delay if you leave your MD on the entire time you search? The behind the head over the ear and into the ear lightweight Motorola's have to be the most comfortable way to go in my opinion, Just not for detecting if the Delay bothers you! I really don't see it as much of an issue, once I hear my good tone I stop and only have to swing my Coil slower, and it takes me a bit longer to narrow down my target before I pinpoint. I only use the Auvio because I can shut off my MD as I dig the targets saving batteries! I do have 24 aa rechargeable's so why I am svaing batteries is a good question! I planned to swith to them once the heat got higher anyway and living with the delay. When at walmart last I saw they sell a FM transmitter with a tuner for $13 any FM headset you can find will probably work fine with it? I'm pretty sure good FM headsets with big ear cups can be found anywhere? GL & HH Pat

Heres another link to more photos of my mod...Also I like the TDK WR 700 headphones
because they have "No Delay"
Duggr

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1591257,1704749#msg-1704749