Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Taming "Old Satan"

pennywt

One summer day, while my granny was in town, Raymond and I were sittin, whittlin and spittin. Bored, we decided to play "hide and seek". Raymond disappeared into the house while I counted a slow one hundred.
Now, this was MY house. I lived there and as such, there was no place that Raymond could hide that I couldn't find him. After checking a couple of places, I knew that he was behind the clothes in my great grandfather's closet. I went outside and picked up a piece of dried cat scat. Going back in, I stood in front of the closet and called to Raymond. I told him I knew he was there and the game was over, but I wanted him to stick his head out, as I had someting real interesting to show him. It took a bit of coaxing, but finally Raymond stuck his head out of the closet and asked what it was.
"A cat turd! Here, smell!" I yelled and shoved it up his nose.
To this day, I don't know how he got out of that closet, without tearing it down.
I was five paces ahead of him, when I reached the smokehouse. Just enough time for me to slam and lock the door before he got there.
Outside, Raymond is ranting and raving, as he beat on the door.
Inside, I'm trying to figure out something to distract him, so I don't get thumped.
After a few minutes, I get an idea. Talking calmly to Raymond through the door, I explained how it was his fault that cat scat wound up in his nose. (I was just going to show it to him, but he must have stumbled, as his head went down and hit my hand) Yeah, right.
Anyway. I convince him that we should just forget about that unfortunate "accident", as I had a great idea.
Let's get Old Satan drunk.
Old Satan was a bantam rooster that I had won ib a shooting match with Jim Provence. That was the meanest, most ill tempered critter I'd ever seen.
Of course, Raymond thought it was a fine idea, but I would be the one to catch and hold Old Satan, while he administered Poppa's whiskey.
We got an eyedropper and filled it from the old fruit jar. Old Satan walked right up to me, hoping for a chance to stick his spurs in my leg and was surprised when I grabbed him by the neck and held his feet. Raymond stuck the dropper in his beak and gives him a dose, but when I put Satan back down...nuthin. Must not have been enough, so we got another eyedropper full and did it again.
It seems that Old Satan can't find his feet. He staggers around, then flops over. He "sings", the first part of a rooster crow, then manages to get up and stagger over to take care of a couple of hens.
About that time, my granny pulls into the driveway.
Raymond and I beat a hasty retreat to the back porch, but granny had the Sixth Sence and knew that we had been up to something.
Before she could ask, Old Satan tried to fly to the top of the fence. He missed by about three feet, fell to the ground and continued to "sing."
Well, the truth came out, with Raymond blaming me for the whole thing. I thought my meat house was about to be torn down, but when she went to look at Old Satan, my granny laughed.
She did tell us that whiskey costs money and we weren't to be giving it to the critters. But yuh know...after that, Old Satan was gentle as a lamb and would follow me around in the chicken pen, like he was a pup.
Jess

some mean roosters right now, and I never enter the pen without carrying in a big stick. The highlight of my grandchildren's day is when they come over and we gather the eggs. They are young and have no fear of them at all.

I never get flogged at all, but my 16 year old son is scared to death of them, and I guess it shows. They go after him all the time, and it's funny to watch him! To much city left in him!

I am looking for two new pigs right now, and would like to find a goat or two! I rode down to the pond yesterday, and there was a big old Canadian goose! I threw some feed out to him/her and he came right over and ate it, much to the surprise of my three year old grandson who was with me. As long as he stays in the pond, he is welcome, but he better not come up to the pool!! They make such messes.

If I'm figuring right, I bet there is a she up in the wooded area sitting on a nest. Time will tell!

Great story! I bet your Granny had her hands full with you and Raymond! Did you live with your Granny? :)

my bro and i would feed our Boston Terrier beer! Mother busted us when the poor little guy started lapping up any drink that was set on the floor or a low table when the folks entertained! Gee i dunno how she connected the dots.....mothers are like that:biggrin:

when I was about 14. One day we wondered if we could get Sam drunk. There was a bunch of booze under the sink that had been there for a couple years, since my dad had died.

He was the fire chief and I guess there was a bar fire and he brought a few bottles home. No way of knowing what it was as the lables were all gone.

Anyway, we mixed some of whatever it was in coke and Sam slurped it up. He staggered around a bit and then went to sleep. We thought it was rather boring as he passed out too soon.

The next day my mother saw Sam walking around and asked,"Wha tis wrong with Sam? He acts like he has a hangover" which I am sure he did :D That poor possum was a hurting for sure.

It was just three years ago, 52 years later, that I was talking to my mom. I told her about getting Sam drunk and her eyes lit up. By golly I just knew that Possum had a hangover, she said. We had a big laugh over that.

Another thing we did occasionally, just because our tiny brains said it was fun was to put my hampster on the recond player and let it spin. That poor thing would get so dizzy that he ran in circles.

Funny what humors a small mind, ain't it? :D

their heads off? I don't have no mean critter around.

Goats?? You ever have one? They are a total pain and will wipe out your flowers. I could tell you storys. I bought one for the crazy horse woman and was sure sorry

kinda reminds me of a rooster my great grandfather had. Not sure what kind it was but he had some real long tailfeathers. We also used to keep a couple of pigs through the spring and summer then butcher em off in the late fall. My GG put up some lectric fencing around the pig pen to keep the hogs from rooting their way out and getting in the garden. Course, being the frugal yankee that he was, he used to shut off the power unless the pigs needed some further training :lol: Well, that foolish old rooster used to come into the pen and pick on the pigs. When they'd go after him, he'd fly just outa reach onto a fence post and crow up a storm. My grandfather saw him do it and decided to teach him a lesson. He went into the shed where the fencer was and waited till that rooster jumped up on the post with those long tailfeathers draped ever so gracefully over the top strand of wire. Bam!, in went the plug and that rooster took off straight up, feathers flyin everywhere and squakin like he was fixin to die! :rofl: Needless to say, those pigs enjoyed a long summer in their pen without being bothered by that rooster anymore. In fact, he'd make a detour of about twenty feet of the pen everytime he was out and about. :lmfao: Meebe he shoulda tried some whisky on him :biggrin:

Great story Jess!

Dave

n/t

get the bird, find a straight line on the ground, and hold their beeak on that line. After a minute or so, let them go. They will not move since they are focused on the line>>

sunny skies

M

Just get a line on the ground, put the birds beak on the line and hold it for a few seconds.let go, and watch the bird just stay there!! :)

Sunny skies

M

that it 's okay to leave?? I mean, if I do something like this, she may talk all the other chickens into going on strike! :surprised:

n/t

n/t

I have never seen a drunk rooster before, musta really been funny. What ever happened to "Old Satan"...did he die of old age? These two combined stories were fun to read, thanks for sharing! Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)