Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Tale of "Three Sisters, and a pair of Twins"

Ron J

[attachment 54731 lighthousesCapeCod004.jpg][attachment 54733 lighthousesCapeCod010.jpg]This could be long post,so i need to start with a little background. About six or eight weeks ago,i found a form on Military.com to apply for free Service Records. I filled out the form,and faxed it to the government address, asking for my fathers military history.Finally i received his records.What a Treasure of information! My father, Joseph, joined the Coast Guard as a Surfman,in 1924,and retired a Chief Boatswain Mate in 1951. The records i received, had a copy of every single document my Dad signed,from initial joining,reups,beneficiary forms,ratings,and every location and years he was stationed,and locations of residence of his Mother,and later his first wife. Most were all on Cape Cod,so this made project i had planned,a little easier.I wanted to visit every location he served at,this includes Life Saving Stations,Lighthouse Station,or just a Coast Guard Station. Also wanted to visit every family residence,to photograph all locations! His home residence were easiest,all located in Provincetown,where by the way,he was born,in 1906. On Friday,the 20th i left my residence in Beverly for Cape Cod,a two and a half to three hour trip,depending on traffic and a heavy foot! I left a 4:30 a.m. to beat the traffic in Boston. Arrived on the Cape around 6:30 or so. I knew what places i was looking for,but did not plan ahead enough to eyeball a map for exact locations. Well, i kept my eyes searching for signs, that may lead me to any related sights. Traveling thru Eastham, i came to a sign, stating Nauset Light. Well i headed there to see what gives. Within a 15 minute ride i arrived to seeing a bright red/white Lighthouse. What a sight! Pulled into the parking lot at Nauset Beach,right next to it,the sight was even better! The Surf was still a bit wild,from the Nor'easter we had. To be viewing all this,in the early a.m. was simply beautiful! I learned later on the web,this Lighthouse was one of the "Chatham Twins". This twin was moved from Chatham Light Station in 1923 to replace the "Three Sisters".I'll get to them in next post,but back to the Twin. In 1993,she was just 25 feet from the edge of the cliff,overlooking Nauset Beach. The C.G. proposed decommissioning the Light. It was saved by the Nauset Light Preservation Society,and thus relocated to her present location.In 1998, the keepers house was a mere 27 feet from the cliff,due to corrosion,and moved next to the light again. The house is know a private residence.The light flashes Red on one side,then White. Note: My Father was NOT stationed here,but how could i pass this sight up! More too come.....[attachment 54727 lighthousesCapeCod002.jpg][attachment 54728 lighthousesCapeCod008.jpg][attachment 54729 lighthousesCapeCod009.jpg][attachment 54730 lighthousesCapeCod003.jpg]

adventure. Theres nothing like getting up early in the morning, beating the traffic, and enjoying the ride and the surroundings.

Nice pictures Ron.

Waiting for part two.

Lil Brother

I remember seeing on Discovery Channel (I think it was)where they were moving one of those light houses. It was an amazing feat!

You live in some beautiful coutry. Great pictures:thumbup:

n/t

And the pics are beautiful. Early morning has always been my favorite time of day......so peaceful. Waitin' for more here !