Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Take a little "RIDE" with me!!

Ron J

Before i begin sharing a memory of my younger days,i need to mention a couple of things.First,i have been a "car" nut since maybe 12 or so.Second,i had an "idol",a guy a couple of yrs older than i,Jack R,who always had "cool" cars.Third,is Chebbaco Road,a wooded,dirt road,connecting Hamilton Ma. to "Manchester by the Sea".It's maybe 5 miles of mostly winding curves.All my friends knew the road by heart,after all,back in the 60's it was THE BEST place to go "parking" with your honey!! Its still Dirt today!
Let me begin... I think i was 20 or so,and worked till 7 most nights at the Datsun dlr.It was Winter,so it was nighttime. I hopped in my pride@joy,a 1961 OlDs Starfire convertible.Maroon in color.Was heading home,only ten minutes away.I turned the corner onto Bridge st.and as i started to straigten out,a dimwit in a White 63 Bonneville conv. stopped suddenly in the middle of the street,to pick-up a hitchhiker.I swung around the Bonne,almost hitting it.Next thing i see is highbeams in my mirror,almost kissing my bumper!! I did not appreciate that,and like any other 20yr "knowitall" I immediately gave this @#$ a good ol BRAKE JOB! He did not appreciate that either!! Now i only needed to drive another 1/8 mile,to turn on my home street,but Mr.@#$hole was attempting to pass me,before i got there!! There was NO WAY i would let him,booting it,he kept up.. I was now approaching Ralph's Market,and saw a car wanting to pull out.I slowed to let it out,and Mr.#$% passed me and the car i was letting out. That was IT!,i needed to teach this guy a lesson!!I booted it to catch up,seeing his tailights ahead.Getting closer,and then he stops in the middle of the street again,to let the hitchhiker out! Now was my chance to get in front of the idiot! I DID! AND was his headlights on my arse!! I had noticed thru the lights and shadows,multiple heads.No way was i gonna stop,for fear of my life...We were now flying up Rte 62,me,thinking,"I'am gonna teach these @#$holes a lesson in driving!" After all,i Was a 20yr knowitall!! AND i knew right where to go to loose these jokers,CHEBBACCO ROAD!!!!

We continued booting it,to RTE 128!! I was thinking,either i'll loose them,or i'll make it to CHEBBACCO RD,about 10 or 15 mile away!! Once on the Highway,i accellerated to 75 or more,i sure.The Bonne,right on me,trying to pass me on either side.I would'nt let him,by cutting the wheel towards him,like i would ram him! We were both swirving from passing lane to breakdown lane.Finally i pulled away,almost loosing him,Almost.. Atlast,CHEBBACCO!! I flew down the ramp,knowing,in seconds i'll be on the only straight part of CHEBBACCO,then the curves!! The headlights behind me were getting distant,suddenly i started to loose it on the snow covered dirt road.I pulled out,and made it around the first corner!! Man,i kept going,seeing headlights flashing/reflecting of trees in the night.Going thru the curves,the road narrowing because of snowbanks,barely enough for two cars beside each other,if they were hardly moving... Nearing the end of the curves,i lost it,and slid sideways between the banks.Quickly manuevering to get out..Suddenly noticed headlights flashing at trees,not moving.. I kept going,headed back to Beverly,no one tailing?? It was now about quarter to eight,i needed to pick-up Brian,my employers son,at driving school,so headed downtown and got him.I was stilling shaking from ride,and told him what tranpired..We were both curious,and headed back to CHEBBACCO!! Down 128,off at School st exit,onto Chebbacco,around the first curve,could see lights flashing through the trees,not just headlights,BLUE lights too!! OH OH!We decided to procede,taking a few curves,there was MR.POLICE car,stopped,leaving inches for me to crawl by.Up 10 ft or so,on abanking,there was upheavled snow,broken smaller trees,and THE BONNE,against a big mother!! As i crawled by the cruiser,couldn't help but see the officer,standing with 5 or 6 rather LARGE BRUISERS,maybe my age? Didn't appear injured,but i was more concerned if they recognized my Starfire!! Nope! No one said anything,but didin't appear too friendly!! We just kept going,like we were blind!Couldn't get away fast enough!!! I went cruisen for an hour or so,dropped Brian home,and went home myself thinking of the event...Boy was i lucky..

The next day,at work,i tried to keep the event to my self,but could'nt,but knew i had to be careful,for fear of getting a major beating!! I finally told BUTCH,Brian's BIG brother what happened.He told me it sounds like that Bonne belonged to a Senior at his Highschool,and warned me to be careful.He knew the bunch of jocks who hung around together,and were Muscleheads! Ooops.. Around mid morning,Butch's best friend,Skip comes in the shop,asking me and Butch,if we heard about the ACCIDENT last night,where someone cut so/so off the road?? We knew we could trust Skip,so i told him what truely happened.We all had a good laugh,Skip didn't care for that crew,himself,BUT,like Butch,advised me to keep quiet. AND i did,for years,and I mean decades!!

Here's where "JACK R" comes in,much later. Like i said earlier,i always thought Jack was "COOL" like "COOKIE" on "77 SUNSET STRIP" (remember that program??) or like the FONZ,for you younger readers. Jack always had fancy cars,even had his own Business card!!How impressive was that,back in the 60's! It HAD his name,of course,but "JACK O" instead of JACK R.He even had a VANITY plate back then! "JACK O" of course!! What i didn't know,was that JACK envied ME for the fancy cars i drove! I still had the 61 STARFIRE.A 61 Starfire was the first year,with 6" aluminum mouldings going down the center of each side.All 61's were convertibles. They weren't too common to see.I purchased every one i could find. Well i sold Jack a Brown 61 Starfire,his pride@joy,like my Maroon one.Jack was also known a telling agreat tale,that always stretched the truth abit.But that was okay,he was still "COOL" to me. One night,i visited Jack,at a shop he had.He was doing something to his Olds.This was maybe 6 months after my event.He started telling me,how he was in line at "Burgerchef" in Salem one night,gonna order some chow,when 5 or 6 BRUISERS come in,and holler,"Who's Starfire??"

Jack,being MR.COOL,tells me,he replied "ME!WHAT OF IT?" He could handle himself,so the Bruisers invite him outside.He told me he had an idea,he was in for a beatin!! As they walked outside,one of the Bruisers,says to him,"Hey! How long you had that Vanity plate? (JACK O) Jack replied "for 2 or 3 yrs.Why?" The Bruiser replied,"BECAUSE IT JUST SAVED YOUR LIFE!!" Man,i almost $hit my pants,as he told me this story!I started laughing like hell,as i told him about my RIDE!! I had never told him before,and was the first time i knew he was tellin the whole truth!! RJ

How well I remember that Ron. GREAT tale. Like most of us here, I fractured a few speeding laws too. Told the tale a bit further down of my 53 ford with the 409 in it that Eddie and i built up.

Then there was the 1963 Galaxie I totally restored. [I gave that to my son for his 16th birthday.... and he still has it to this day] I had finished it up and Alice and I were going to a feed canference in mile 108 house. On the way, there was this beautifull stright stretch, well over 1 mile long. I was feeling goo and nailed it to the floor.

Of course, there just HAD to be a cop up this stretch and all he did was wave his arm to pull over. When I got stopped, he came up to me and asked the standard question 'do you know how fast you were going?' I answered , truthfully [since I had buried the speedo at 120], that I had no idea. He told me he clocked me going 142!!!!! MPH!!

"ALRIGHT"!!!! Whoo, whoo. I was ecstatic and my joy showed.

Luckily, he was a car afficianado and we got into a whole series of what I had done, what was under the hood [406 with a six pack]. Anyway, the upshot was I only got a simple speeding ticket. He could have nailed me with so much more.

Calm seas, fair winds

M

It seemed that the faster you drove, the faster I read. I think that it is kinda funny that those bullies did not ever catch up with you. Thanks for sharing this story, very enjoyable. Please have a great day! Kelley (Texas) :)

I can think of five guys that were killed because of testerone. I am lucky to be alive myself as I used to drag race on Woodward Ave with bald tires, at over 120 mph.

I could just not stand anyone passing me on the highway, let alone during a race.

You brought back some memories. Thanks

I know the road you're talkin about. I take rt.62 into Beverly every time I get down to see my daughter. She lives a block west of 62 right downtown. Sounds like those guys had a grudge to settle. Glad you avoided them.

Dave

tale,only i was a passenger in the car,remember those mid sixties olds tornados that were like the first front drivers with the 455's i think,i had a pretty good scare in one of those.

r j that was another luckie day for you,or should i say luckie years.all that time and never meeting your slow polk,bet you didnt mind that at all.well brother knowing you,you would do it all over again,in a flash.r.j.it still a dirt road,only this time,you can do it again with your old roadmaster with that 500h.p.engine.that is the one you will need now,as you are so old now,and you need a big big rommy wagon,you will have lots of space,to bouce your 200lb frame around,as you roll around them big curves,and pray.your brother al.

n/t

I had a '63 bonne convertible in 1965, Yorktown blue, she was. I wish so much that I had her today.

Matter of fact, I keep eyin' them on ebay and anywhere I run into one. I have a feelin' that when I retire in 22 months (should I live so long) that I will be buyin' me a fairly good project car off someone.

Thanks for a really great story that made me think of a few episodes while drivin' mine. I reckon I'll just have to get to writin'! <><

Thanks again,

aj

Al has been detecting for 30? yrs or so.Right now he has a new toy,that could be dangerous! A LAPTOP! Al is new to the E-WORLD,so he's getting some lessons by hit or miss.. Maybe i can twist his arm to write a good one! He loves fishing,and always manages to bring in some keepers!! He's in his 70's,so its take him awhile to type! Al can see the letters on the keyboard,just has a hard time puttin'em in the right order!! HA HA!! Right AL?? :lol:

are huntn peckers:detecting:

story, Ron J and it sure took me back. I remember going with boyfriends to their favorite drag spot, and all the girls would get out and act all worried and gigglie! How dumb were we all? My daddy would have tanned my hide had he found out!

Thanks for the great story! Tell your brother to get him an external keyboard hooked up to his laptop, and it will make his typing easier!

I want to hear some of his fishing stories! I love fishing! :)

times when my brothers got in my way (boys), and then there were times when they were my heroes! I won't tell them that, tho! Welcome to the forum. Post us a story! :)

How do you like your laptop????