Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 ID Jumping

T2

What does it mean when a target has several numbers jumping around on the T2? Like 20 to 58 and then a 32? I have this even air testing civil war buttons. I have a great site and get a lot of these signals but there is a lot of iron as the site dates back to 1730. Just got my T2 3 days ago and only been out once but did find 3 colonial flat buttons. A cuff that was 14 inches! Gotta like that! It was a pretty consistent numbering but I get a lot of switching numbers other targets so I don't dig. Need help! Thanks

Which is a joke. I have gone round & round with them on this with really no strait answer yet on why these super new units can't "lock on" with 1 number like the great Dimitar designed units like the "Coin$trike" can. All's I can figure is that it's something to do with the DD-coil & the targets position in the ground, a slightly different sweep, and maybe sometimes iron also under the coil at the same time. I imagine depth has alot to do with a number reading like that as well as maybe a deep button is perhaps just on the fringes of it's ID capability, and it's "not sure" of a number to assign. In that case, you can dig the "iffy" signal & see for yourself. Digging signals like that, even if they turn out to be a deep square nail will get you accustomed to what the ID is telling you, and then down the road you will be able to make a better decision weather those "jumps" are worth digging or not,,,,,,,,
HH,
Bill

There is a good possibility that the coil sweep speed was too slow. For a good ID it needs a faster sweep speed, and the sweep should be from shoulder to shoulder when trying to ID.

It's worth the try.

What all Bill said are all possible factors. I am finding right now with our very dry conditions that all targets, good and bad, are all pretty bouncy. Silver comes the closest to locking on, but still bounce 3-4 numbers. Pre 82 Memorials are from 81-89, as exhamples. A couple of weeks ago when we had better ground moisture, this wasn't the case. Another posibility, anyway. HH jim tn

It could be emi from nearby devices like cell phones, cordless phones, computers, video games, TV sets, digital clocks, almost anything that plugs in or runs on batteries could be generating signals that the detector picks up. Could be that when you do your air tests that you don't maintain the same target aspect to the search coil, you be tilting the button as you move it so it looks like it has a different shape to the detector, or you could be moving it closer or farther away from the coil. It could be that the Ground phase isn't set correctly for the medium you are swing thru, you could be changing sweep speeds as the target moves under the coil. There could be little flakes of rust in the dirt, or pieces of bird shot. The sensitivity could be set too high and the internal noise of the electronics inside the machine is being treated as a valid signal. The wire between your search coil and the control box might not be tight and might move slightly as the detector is swung.

There are other things that could be causing it as well. The T2 is designed to be as sensitive as possible which means that it will signal when it picks up the slightest changes in the electromagnetic field under the search coil. At this one 75 acre site where I detect a lot there is a road that runs by the west side of it. The local cops have a favorite spot for a radar trap along that road. I often pick up interference from their radar if I am within about 1/3 of mile of the road though I can minimize it by changing frequencies until I find one that doesn't have a good harmonic with their transmit frequency, F2 seems to be the best on my T2 when they are working the road. My Xterra 705 picks up the same interference even worse.

Sweep speed shoulder to shoulder makes it work to optimum abilities.

Elton said:
Sweep speed shoulder to shoulder makes it work to optimum abilities.

I agree with this, and use this method ALOT in trashy areas.

Went back out today to the honey hole I have been finding the good stuff. The T2 is driving me nuts. Signals bouncing from 23-88, then to 43 and 62. There is a lot of nails in the ground and other iron. So if it can unmask the metal shouldn't a cosistant number somewhat lock or come close? This thing go so deep on a nail head that I will exhaust myself in this area digging everything.

I think you may have answered your question. The T2 processes signals so fast that a single sweep may detect 10 - 15 targets. It detects everything under the coil so in a trashy area it will tell you everything down there. With that being said, you can use your discrimination to narrow the number of signals you get. For example, if you are coin shooting a trashy area set the disc to 62 to eliminate the pull tabs and iron and detect your area. Lower your discrimination a few numbers like 40 and you just included nickels and gold. A third sweep of the area at 21 will give you deeper penetration for the coins and jewelry that were just out of range at the above settings and some iron targets with a large halo signature. This may seem crazy but you have a detector that can at times give your brain a signal overload. It probably isn't a defect in the T2 or your technique but simply the T2 is like an ex-wife, telling everything it knows.

Pops

Thanks Pops!

I will play with the descrim. I guess being only the second time out I have a lot to learn. I was use to a Tesoro Silver Umax which ran silent and not as deep so you can see why I'm a little overwhelmed. The only thing I found yesterday was to stay out of corn fields. I woke up with corn rash so bad I had to get a IV of Benedryl at the ER at 3:30am. As you can see, I am persistent and will even swing the corn rows.

Coil to the soil!

T2

LOL My first time out after three swings I took the headphones off and was wondering if I had a metal detector or a musical instrument. Like with any machine it will take time in the field "knocking corn stalks down" to learn what it is saying. In no time you'll be able to tell when you have a good signal next to some trash. Good luck.

Pops

this signal jumping you are talking about, is this happening when you are over ONE good target or when you are sweeping and getting a bunch of good sounding signals? next time you have your t2 out drop some coins on the ground couple inches apart and sweep over them listen to the machine if that is what you are hearing when you are out then you have multiple targets in one area. It takes a bit of practice to isolate just one target when you are in a real trashy area, I think someone else mentioned this, but if im getting 2 signals real close to one another i will dig the junker just to get to the good target. Also dont forget that a shallow target even if its just one target will produce a double beep alot.

Mike,

In your opinion would you dig a signal that jumped from 23, 47, 76. I'm just wondering if this is iron mixed in with a good target or is it a deep target that the ID can not determine so it jumps.

Thanks

T2 said:
Mike,

In your opinion would you dig a signal that jumped from 23, 47, 76. I'm just wondering if this is iron mixed in with a good target or is it a deep target that the ID can not determine so it jumps.

Thanks

so many factors involved here. But i probably would not dig that, unless it repeats from all directions and angles and it was at a site where I'm looking for deep targets and I know trash is minimal and I'm digging everything. The 76 could possibly be a deep ih... I dunno it's a tough call. But that's a perdy jumpy id for sure.

Check your connection.Push all the way in and tighten till it's snugged up. See if that helps your ID jumping. Also is your coil flopping down near the coil..That also causes problems.T2 is that sensitive. Is your cell phone on ?? Turn it off. How about your digger?. Is it belted or are you carrying it. You could be picking that up..I have...

I'm going to do some test holes out back now. I am going to do a hole with a cuff button, nail and a thumb size chunk of iron and lay them side by side.

I will also check my connections. I do have my cell on when hunting.

This area is where I have recovered buttons ranging from 1812 Artillery, French Artillery 64 (Rev War), Union Navy button, VMI Cadet Button and tons of Flats before with my Umax is the only area the T2 gets jumpy. There was a house from the 1700's there. (bricks down 3 inches deep) Lots of large and small iron. I think that's whats making it freak out. No electrical within a mile. It works fine on other areas of the property but the goody spot where I know has to be more deeper causes a little trouble.

I will report on my field test.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Well guys!

User error! I put a nail, penny and cuff button in the ground 9 inches and walking around the covered hole was able to ID all the contents of the hole. AMAZING!! Guess at my honey hole I need to do the same.

PS: my coil line was loose hanging at the bottom, thank you!!