Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 Hits the BIG TIME!

T2

While hunting a small patch of woods I got a SOLID 82 hit which I thought was a dime. I dug a large plug and saw something big and green laying in the hole. It was a large copper. After brushing away the dirt I saw it was the oldest I have ever dug. It was a 1793 Liberty Cap. I hear these are pretty pricey and that there are only 300 known of the 11,000 that were minted. The outline of the of the girls head is still visable but no fine detail. You can read the date at the bottom and Liberty at the top. The back is pretty dang good condition. Wonder how I go about finding a actual price for this rare jewel? I LOVE MY T2!!!!

PS: I LOVE MY T2!!!!

WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS! WE WANT PICS!

Congratulations:please::clapping::thumbup:

I lightened up the front some to try to give more definition. The back is pretty good and I'm pretty proud! Not the best looking coin but one of only 11,000 minted in the good ole USA! Like trying to find a needle in a haystack the size of Texas!

Took the coin to a dealer. He could read the date (1793) with a jeweler loop but it was questionable. We tried a few tricks to get the date to show better but he said without a clear date to the naked eye it could not sell for a good price. He said early coppers are so soft that they are always good on one side and bad on the other when found in the dirt. I have large Cornett coppers from 1817 and 1827 that look damn near perfect from the dirt because they have mixed metals in them. Why couldn't I have found this coin face down!!! There has got to be one more!

try a little peroxide in the microwave and let it soak for a minute....also, i try some baking soda and water with a soft toothbrush or a little olive oil bath for a couple of days.......these are not harsh treatments......

Do not soak it in peroxide and especially do not use a toothbrush anywhere near it. You will likely end up with a blank piece of copper and even if you don't, you will reduce the numismatic value of the piece. There is nothing that saddens a coin collector more than to see a coin that has been mistreated with a toothbrush. The damage done is easy to see with a loupe and just about every coin grading course ever taught explains how to see the damage it does.

If you want to pursue getting the coin conserved then send it in to the Numismatic Conservation Service at www.ncscoin.com. I am a serious coin collector, a member of the American Numismatic Association, past vice president and current webmaster of the Nashua Coin Club, and a member of the board of directors of the New England Numismatic Association. I have spent over $1000 on tuition for coin grading and evaluation classes. I do know what I am talking about when it comes to whether the methods mentioned above will reduce the numismatic value of any coin - they definitely will! both leave easy to spot telltale signs and have a high danger of completely ruining a porous old copper coin.

Thanks Steve!

I am not a member of NCS. Do I have to be in order to submit a coin? Do coins still hold value even if the whole date is partial? It has a few signs of 1793 Liberty Cap and the date was almost complete when it came out of the ground but wiping it may have damaged the coin. I will know better next time. I'm hoping to stumble on another this weekend that is face down. Chances are slim but who knows? I found four large cents in a day.

Thanks again for the reply.

You do need to be a member to submit it, but you can get a member dealer to submit it for you (there are links to find dealers on their website). Or if you know someone who is an ANA member they can get submission privileges and submit it for you.

It is possible for grading companies to figure out the year based on the die attributes even if the year isn't legible. Die studies have been done that look for minute differences in the dies used from year to year and these difference can be used to assign dates even if the date is difficult to read. I have a 1798 LC that was graded by ANACS as being in Fair 2 condition and the date on it is very, very, very difficult to see.

If I were you and wanted to maximize the value you can get out of it. I would submit it to ANACS. You don't need special privileges to submit to them - you can just use a form from their website and send them the coin with that form. Once it is attributed by ANACS you can sell it on Ebay and probably get decent money for it. If you can get a AG-3 grade for it then you should be able to get a good price for it. Fair 2 will still get you something. If it is Poor-1 then you probably won't get much for it.

Good Luck.