Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

T2 finds treasure in trenches

T2

got invited to a property with Civil War tenches and was avle to find 2 coat buttons and a cuff. They were flat as it was a confederate site. I have read that us Rebels didn't all have pretty buttons like the yankees. I also found 2 large musket balls. Did they use round balls in the Civil War? Also, the cuff button was 10 inches deep and all items were in the FOIL range including the musket balls. Thats the really weird thing....

Many items were made in England , and other places..

Thanks for the follow-up! You bet your booty I will dig items in that range for now on. My brother in law told me to dig it or he was gonna do it. So, I dug and it was a large musket ball. after that 3 buttons and another ball all the same number give or take one digit. The smallest of the buttons was smaller than a cuff. Thanks to my Garrett pin pointer. I thought it was going crazy cause I couldn't find the little button but then through the sifting she popped up!

Great finds, congratulations! I usually relic hunt up here in the Northern Virginia area and yes, round balls were used, almost exclusively, by Confederate troops who often fought with pre-war muskets they had on the farm. The flat buttons almost always denote Confederate soldiers and you are right the Confederates did not have all the fancy buttons the Union forces did, but there were and are plenty of appealing Southern buttons. I have been lucky to find one Virginia Confederate officer's button and a couple of North Carolina ones over the past few years and they are high points in my collection.

Good luck with your future hunts!